deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Deckstats Competition - Make a Deck.  (Read 3554 times)

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
Deckstats Competition - Make a Deck.
« on: February 14, 2018, 12:38:37 am »
Hi Deckstaters!  :)

I've created this thread for competitions, run by the Deckstats team. This particular competition is to design a deck with a particular theme, or card in mind.

Any and all topics pertaining to must be posted here, and STAY on topic, please!

Contest 1:

With the announcement of Jace, the Mind Sculptor being unbanned in Modern, there has been some conversation as to whether its introduction will bring unbalance to the format, or whether it will simply take the place of a card in a current archetype.

That in mind I would ask that you make a Tier 1 deck, that you would see in the pro tour. It MUST include at least 2-4 copies of Jace the Mind Sculptor in the MAINBOARD, all existing archetypes are acceptable. Do not straight up copy a deck. (You will be disqualified)

Try and be unique as possible. (Use your discretion when looking at known archetypes for card choices)

I will judge this one week from now, on Tuesday! Hopefully with G.Moto's help! Get brewing, because the most effective and unique will be the winner!  ;D

Mostlynotgay

• It's really not THAT impressive
    • Mostlynotgay Videos
  • Decks
Re: Deckstats Competition - Make a Deck.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 05:44:02 am »
https://deckstats.net/decks/42006/917916-the-weavers-of-nightmare?saved=1&lng=en

I actually made this deck a bit ago and have been waiting, WAITING, to be able to put JTMS into it.  It's actually performed pretty well when I've played it, though it's gotten a few very nasty comments even w/o Jace. 

It's basically a slow, grindy control/mill deck that uses Ashiok + Sphynx's Tutelage to grind your opponent's deck down.  The deck used to run Liliana + Ashiok but Jace really completes the package.  Also, I think if Jace and Liliana got together and had an ill-advised child, Ashiok would be that child.  The abilities of Ashiok seem like a pretty good mix of the two. 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 05:48:37 am by Mostlynotgay »
Youtube Videos: Mostlynotgay

"You're such a f*ggot for playing that in multiplayer" - Opponent when I played Confusion in the Ranks

Modern >

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 03:48:35 pm »
https://deckstats.net/decks/6217/918166-jace-deckbuild-comp-w-u-contro

Modern isn't my normal cup of tea, but in honor of JTMS being unbanned in the format and the board comp for a deck, I figured what the heck.

I didn't build this with the intent of winning the comp but rather to build a deck that I would enjoy playing with him as part of it.

Edit- v5 is final version.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 04:00:08 pm by WWolfe »
This space for rent.

kurufal

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 06:01:28 pm »
Deck: BANT Miracles

//Lands
2 Breeding Pool
3 Celestial Colonnade
4 Flooded Strand
2 Forest
2 Glacial Fortress
2 Hallowed Fountain
1 Island
4 Misty Rainforest
2 Plains
2 Sunpetal Grove

//Spells
3 Baffling End
3 Entreat the Angels
4 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
3 Nissa, Steward of Elements
3 Opt
4 Path to Exile
1 Search for Azcanta
4 Serum Visions
4 Telling Time

//Creatures
4 Birds of Paradise
3 Noble Hierarch

//Sideboard
3 Detention Sphere
2 Ethersworn Canonist
2 Kataki, War's Wage
3 Meddling Mage
2 Remand
3 Terminus

I'll try to post a different take on Miracles I mostly added green for the 1 drop dorks to speed things up and for Nissa, Steward of Elements to start going deeper in the deck a little sooner and faster (happy valentines day). Also, the Scry 2 may help set up an Entreat the Angels. I included a few Baffling End to spice things up a bit, because the card seems super good to me (Detention Sphere still sideboarded for non-creature matchups). Kataki, War's Sage and Meddling Mage have been added to the sideboard to help with the possible spike of Lantern Control.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
**you can look here for a more typical Miracle deck, but this is almost an exact copy of the Riverwise Augur deck with the merfolk swapped for Jace, the Mind Sculptor https://deckstats.net/decks/24402/916588-u-w-mind-sculptor-miracles/en**

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 06:00:35 pm »
Hey all, I wanted to congratulate the three that participated in this tournament. Despite not being very well publicised, and not having much of a real reward for your efforts. I wanted to wait for G.Moto to respond, but he must be busy.

I will be giving the following: (I will talk to Nils about doing something with Karma, or creating some sort of reward system)

1st - 10 Karma
2nd - 5 Karma
3rd - 1 Karma

(Not including your posts which I've already liked)

1st place (It was hard, btw)

@Wwolfe - (U/W Control)

Even though you said that Modern wasn't your thing, I think you encapsulated the quintessence of a U/W control whilst adding a unique touch to it. I like that you added Baral, Chief of Compliance. (would have been better to 2-3, but that's my opinion.) I am surprised that most U/W decks overlook it. Trickbind in the sideboard? What spice is this?! A very interesting choice! The other choices that I liked that put you into the lead was the use of Blessed Alliance and Cyclonic Rift, (Which I found amusing) It is unusual for a deck to overload in Modern, if it resolves it would make me laugh.

Congratz Wwolfe, well done!  :)

2nd place

@Mostlynotgay (Weaver of Nightmares)

This was by far the most unique! Which made it difficult for me not to place it first, but I also asked whether you would see it in a top-tier decklist, and I had to be more critical. I run mill in modern and turn 3-4 with Emrakul and Storm makes life hard without the right spells. Whilst you can exile Emrakul with Ashiok's primary ability you must either know or be lucky, which is why Jace was a great idea, as it compliments Ashiok well! other spells like Mishra's Bauble might be useful in this case, in case Jace, the Mind Sculptor is vulnerable. I can see that the discard synergy is there, and it's great, but any card like Emrakul and Darksteel Colossus will render the mill strategy redundant and you'll have to resort to aggro.

Whilst Sphinx's Tutelage is great and works well with the card draw, it is also quite slow. Have you thought of putting in Fraying Sanity? As it works well with the discard/graveyard synergy. Or, perhaps Painter's Servant, in combination with Sphinx's Tutelage? It offers some great synergy.

Also, mill-based cards like Glimpse the Unthinkable and Mind Grind? What are your thoughts?

That said I love the idea, and whilst Modern decks can't cover all bases, I think that with the right cards you can make it better. I would be happy to help if you'd like? I know a few more cards that would be useful to your strategy!

Well done  :)

3rd place

@Kurufal -(Bant Miracles)

I really like this deck Kurufal, the only fault lies in the similarity with its counterpart. That said, your choices were good. I liked the inclusion of Nissa, Steward of Elements to dig, your suggestions were well reasoned. I think you could have changed some of the net deck choices a little more. I get that Noble Hierarch and Birds of Paradise are there to give you a mana outlet to create more tokens. With your inclusion of Green, have you thought about using cards like Sakura Tribe Elder or Azusa, Lost but Seeking?

I think you might need Terminus in the main-deck, or something to keep you protected until you can enable your win con. That, or something like Wrath of God.
Whilst I like Baffling End, I don't think that on its own that it is enough to delay your opponent. If they bounce your Baffling End with a card like Terminus or Perilous Voyage, they will get a 3/3. That said, it is spice and I like spice. Cards like Quarantine Field (Mana ramp makes this better), Suspension Field would work, too!

Lastly, your sideboard is excellent. Kataki, War's Mage, is an inspired choice!
Even though you came third, know that I did like your deck, a little more tweaking and I reckon this could be much better than it is already!  :)

Thank you all, and I hope you enjoyed making these decks. Hopefully, in future, I will update this and make different tournaments for the community to participate in!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 06:12:44 pm by Mnemosyne »

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 07:53:25 pm »
Thanks Mnemosyne! Winning the competition is an added bonus to building a deck that I may use for a foray back into Modern for the first time in a long time.
This space for rent.

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 08:03:51 pm »
Thanks Mnemosyne! Winning the competition is an added bonus to building a deck that I may use for a foray back into Modern for the first time in a long time.

You are more than welcome! Congratz! :)

Mostlynotgay

• Mostlynotgay Videos
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 11:52:37 pm »
Awwwwwe.  I thought you were liking those decks because you thought they were good XD.

Unfortunately, as a mill deck, it will always be weak to the things that mill is weak to.  Leyline of the Void is the typical, but I chose to go with surgical extraction.  It gives a little more utility.  But I agree.  A mill deck will always be a mill deck.  That's why I've been waiting for them to unban Jace.  Jace + Ashiok + Liliana + bridge pretty much keeps your opponent off from being able to do anything for long enough to tick jace up to his ultimate.  Shuffling Emrakul and your gy back into your library is all well and good, until you don't have a library to shuffle anymore XD. 

The deck is, I think, unique in that it's not necessarily a mill deck.  But it uses milling in a way that I don't think other decks do: to protect your win condition.  If jace is your win condition, and I have repeatable discard, then you have to essentially top-deck an answer.  and I am milling 2 cards minimum per turn (my max so far is 12 cards in a turn against Elves), and exiling another 3.  It's the most unique use of mill. 

I also think that JTMS should be at the top of all mill player's playlist, and we're going to see a potential resurgence of mill because, as you said, Mill is ended by emrakul or another similar card.  However, JTMS negates that because the mill player no longer cares if you shuffle your gy back into your library.  He's going to eventually exile your library, anyway.  I hope Jace, the Mind Sculptor ushers in an era where people look at mill not as a win condition, but as a win protection.  Similar in vein to how Lantern Control (my main deck) uses mill to protect itself. 

Thank you for the award :).  Coming 2nd to WWolfe is definitely not the worse thing that could happen  ;D

"You're such a f*ggot for playing that in multiplayer" - Opponent when I played Confusion in the Ranks

Modern >

Mostlynotgay

• Mostlynotgay Videos
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 11:57:14 pm »
Also, I hope these competitions catch on, because they really are fun.  Perhaps themed competitions (St. Patrick's day is coming up soooooooooooo...) and stuff.  This site is a nice community (s'why i use it over the other deck sites), and it's fun to be able to put your mind against the other minds and see what comes out. 

Modern >

TheWakaEmu117

• #BringBackStorm
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2018, 03:31:41 am »
Dang it I had built a deck for this and was waiting for the thread to pop up I missed it. Oh well I will try next time
I can't even read

homietre

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2018, 12:00:42 am »
congrats peoples

Nils

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2018, 01:42:33 pm »
Congratulations to all winners, you have now received your Karma! :)

And thank you to Mnemosyne for organizing this!