deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Pauper] Jund Cascade Exhume  (Read 694 times)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
[Pauper] Jund Cascade Exhume
« on: February 25, 2018, 08:36:30 am »
Taking a break from building EDH decks for a week or so and gearing up for a Pauper tourney at the LGS.

Jund Cascade Exhume

Dump fatties into the grave yard, cascade into Exhume, then bring said fatties back with Exhume.
This space for rent.

HydrusDominatus

• Decks
Re: [Pauper] Jund Cascade Exhume
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 09:24:26 am »
Have you considered Songs of the Damned for some extra ramp?

jibbebot

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 02:20:39 pm »
I like the idea, I'm not a big fan of the build though

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 05:24:01 pm »
Suggestions then if you don't like the build?

Have you considered Songs of the Damned for some extra ramp?

Problem is I could cascade into it from either of the cascade cards.
This space for rent.

Nils

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 07:41:12 pm »
Your deck was selected as our DeckStats.net deck of the week this week! Congratulations! :)

Socksofgrandeur

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 09:23:15 pm »
Songs is a clearly bad plan for a cascade into exhume plan. Simian Spirit Guide however, should be in here right now. What does this deck to better than just shoving exhume into a damned cycling build?

THEpuy

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 09:51:50 pm »
Is this pauper living end???

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 12:13:24 am »
Thanks Nils!

Sockfsofgranduer- not sure what you mean. At work right now so maybe my mind is just elsewhere, if you explain better I'll try to answer.

thecrazymagicman- that was kind of the inspiration for the deck but not exactly what it ended up.
This space for rent.

Socksofgrandeur

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 03:43:57 pm »
Sorry I guess my comment jumped into the middle of a conversation I hadn't actually started yet :)

Most of the time I see decks that cycle lots of creatures, they are looking to power out a large songs of the damned into a crypt rats or something. This gives you the benefit of being able to run gnaw to the bone in order to gain enough life to make it later into the game so that you can essentially 'combo off'.

Exhume is a really strong card, but I'm not convinced guaranteeing it on turn 2-3 will be enough. I don't know that it's strong enough on it's own like this to matter, if that makes sense. I feel like you'd be better off putting exhume into a more traditional approach to a pauper cycling deck as a way to present pressure earlier in the game while still presenting an out of nowhere combo finish to put more stress on how a blue deck uses it's control options to limit you.

But I wanted to hear from you why you opted to build a deck like this instead, how you think the benefits of the deck you built outweigh the faults a reanimator deck in pauper traditionally have.

Also, you'll definitely want Deadshot Minotaur in your sideboard (at least), as exhuming it against a blue deck will almost always present a 2 for 1 which should help you stabilize.

I recommended simian spirit guide because it provides you with some fast mana to help you put out your 3 mana discard outlets 1 or 2 turns earlier, which means you can cascade on turn 3 more reliably.

BO

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 11:20:41 pm »
Pauper living end!

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 02:06:37 pm »
Sorry I guess my comment jumped into the middle of a conversation I hadn't actually started yet :)

Most of the time I see decks that cycle lots of creatures, they are looking to power out a large songs of the damned into a crypt rats or something. This gives you the benefit of being able to run gnaw to the bone in order to gain enough life to make it later into the game so that you can essentially 'combo off'.

Exhume is a really strong card, but I'm not convinced guaranteeing it on turn 2-3 will be enough. I don't know that it's strong enough on it's own like this to matter, if that makes sense. I feel like you'd be better off putting exhume into a more traditional approach to a pauper cycling deck as a way to present pressure earlier in the game while still presenting an out of nowhere combo finish to put more stress on how a blue deck uses it's control options to limit you.

But I wanted to hear from you why you opted to build a deck like this instead, how you think the benefits of the deck you built outweigh the faults a reanimator deck in pauper traditionally have.

Also, you'll definitely want Deadshot Minotaur in your sideboard (at least), as exhuming it against a blue deck will almost always present a 2 for 1 which should help you stabilize.

I recommended simian spirit guide because it provides you with some fast mana to help you put out your 3 mana discard outlets 1 or 2 turns earlier, which means you can cascade on turn 3 more reliably.

To be honest, I didn't weigh the pros or cons that a typical reanimation deck faces in pauper when building this deck. I loved playing Living End and was trying to come up with a pauper equivalent. Exhume was the closest option that did something similar.

In play-testing it's held up pretty well against most of my meta outside of one control deck that's been able to hold it down long enough to create severe problems. I've ended up not doing that bad against that deck (2-4 against it I think), but it becomes a war of attrition that doesn't favor this deck.

I love the idea of Simian Spirit Guide, & Deadshot Minotaur is definitely going into the sideboard as an answer for that control deck. Thanks for the suggestions!
This space for rent.