deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Standard] Newbie's first built  (Read 195 times)

Bayang00

• Decks
[Standard] Newbie's first built
« on: March 02, 2018, 12:57:16 pm »
Newbie's first built

Need suggestions on what to improve as i do not have a lot of cards

Yggdrasil_1

• Decks
Re: [Standard] Newbie's first built
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 02:26:05 pm »
24 lands is too much for your mana curve, 22 is enough. ´Gruesome Fate will never give you the value that you want. Gleaming barrier also doesnt give you that much value, because i suspect u want to be an aggressiv deck with pirates, but a wall is not very aggressiv. You also dont need the Orazca Relic. mana shouldnt be your problem, same for Traveler's Amulet.  You will find better cards than brazen Freebooter. Mby add some equipment cards (pirate's cutlass or captain's hook). They are not that rare.

Bayang00

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 04:34:38 pm »

CardAgain Sweater

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 09:13:33 pm »
Nice, coherent theme (aggro pirates) you put together with what sounds like a limited collection;  I took a moment to look at the deck, here are my first impressions:

I agree, 20 lands is not enough. I think 22 is low as you have 4 evolving wilds (good card to fix your mana when you need red/black) and those basics fetched with evolving wilds coming in tapped hurts your tempo and you are aggro strategy. 23 with evolving wilds is where I would start, trim down if I find I'm flooding. I'd cut traveler's amulet, orazca relic, and gruesome fate to add 2 mountains and 1 swamp if you're sticking to basic lands.

I would also consider the following changes based on the cards you said you had:

Cut gleaming barrier for forerunner of the coalition - way better fit for your decks aggro strategy, and you can tutor up the pirate you want/need at the time
Cut 1 brazen freebooter for daring buccaneer - again, a faster play and you should nearly always be able to cast it cheaply with so many pirates
Cut 1 fathom fleet boarder for moment of craving - this is an underrated spell, as there are lots of x/2 creatures out there than can be tough to kill in combat

I also think recover would work well, getting back your best pirate if it ends up in your graveyard somehow. The changes cut your treasure production, but i think your mana will be smoother this way, and better for an aggro plan. If you really want to keep the treasure, I think you need a payoff for it. Right now it is just temporary ramp, and you don't have much card draw - so the extra mana of the treasure can be a waste if you don't have a card in hand to use.

Cool, ultrabudget deck; thanks for sharing your idea!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 10:58:01 pm by CardAgain Sweater »
http://deck.tk/1PJd2YnD - Krokodil; my favorite Standard deck which focuses on -1/-1 counter synergy; currently illegal due to ban on attune. I'm brewing a post ban version...

Standard decks I'm trying:
http://deck.tk/4ixH1ndX - Mono G Monument
http://deck.tk/94QF5WSF - Booty Sac