deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: doubt on the legendary spell (legion's landing)  (Read 887 times)

MagicVampire

• Decks
doubt on the legendary spell (legion's landing)
« on: March 05, 2018, 09:44:36 pm »
I know that I can not keep more than one of the same name on the ground but I would like to know if it is possible to destroy the active one to cast another equal

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
Re: doubt on the legendary spell (legion's landing)
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 10:38:06 pm »
The Legend Rule means that if you ever control 2 legendary permanents with the same name, you must sacrifice one as a state based effect.  You get to choose which one.

So you cast Legion's Landing.  It enters the battlefield.  Its ETB effect trigger goes onto the stack.  The ETB effect resolves, giving you a vampire.  With the stack empty, now you cast another.  It resolves and enters the battlefield.  The second Legion's Landing ETB trigger goes onto the stack.  Now, as a state based effect you choose one of the Legion's Landing to sacrifice.  Since it is an enchantment, it really doesn't matter which one you choose.  Once you have chosen, now the ETB trigger can resolve, netting you another vampire.

Where this can be abused is with Legendary creatures that have ETB effects.  Or with planeswalkers, since they are all legendary now.  You can cast a Jace, the Mind Sculptor.  Activate one of its abilities.  Then you can cast a second Jace, the Mind Sculptor.  When it enters the battlefield, you choose to sacrifice the first.  Then you can activate a loyalty ability of the second Jace.

Hope this helps
:)
Happy Brewing!
:)

Mostlynotgay

• It's really not THAT impressive
    • Mostlynotgay Videos
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 12:27:50 am »
I know that I can not keep more than one of the same name on the ground but I would like to know if it is possible to destroy the active one to cast another equal

Not only is it possible, that's almost always how it's actually used.  One that I, personally, frequently use is Ashiok, the Nightmare Weaver.  I'll have an Ashiok out and activate his ability (+2, -X, doesn't matter).  Then I'll cast another Ashiok and sacrifice the first one.  Then use the + ability on the new ashiok. 

As ApothecaryGeist pointed out, sacrificing the duplicate legendary is a "704.3: state based action" which means it will be done *before* any trigger goes on the stack. "Whenever a player would get priority (see rule 116, “Timing and Priority”), the game checks for any of the listed conditions for state-based actions, then performs all applicable state-based actions simultaneously as a single event. If any state-based actions are performed as a result of a check, the check is repeated; otherwise all triggered abilities that are waiting to be put on the stack are put on the stack, then the check is repeated. Once no more state-based actions have been performed as the result of a check and no triggered abilities are waiting to be put on the stack, the appropriate player gets priority"  As I'm given to understand it, in the Legion's Landing example, you'd cast LL and get the trigger.  Then, you'd  cast the second one.  It would be sacrificed THEN it's trigger goes on the stack.  Also, any abilities that trigger when a permanent enters the battlefield are put onto the stack *after* the creature is sacrificed. 

Additionally, and this got my playgroup when we first started, as a state-based-action, you cannot respond to it.  For example, lets say you have a Ghost Counsel of Orzhova on the battlefield and you play another one.  You couldn't activate the ability of Ghost Counsel to blink it.  State based actions cause you to sacrifice before anything can be done, and cannot be responded to. 
Youtube Videos: Mostlynotgay

"You're such a f*ggot for playing that in multiplayer" - Opponent when I played Confusion in the Ranks

Modern >

MagicVampire

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 01:03:28 am »
Thanks so much. You have been very helpful. ;)

I have a newly assembled vampire deck. It's my first deck. I've just started playing magic and it's great!
Can I show you this so I also recommend how to modify it?

Mostlynotgay

• It's really not THAT impressive
    • Mostlynotgay Videos
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 02:06:38 am »
Thanks so much. You have been very helpful. ;)

I have a newly assembled vampire deck. It's my first deck. I've just started playing magic and it's great!
Can I show you this so I also recommend how to modify it?

Of course!  That's why the site is here.  Just a bunch of nerds helping other nerds be better nerds :)
Youtube Videos: Mostlynotgay

"You're such a f*ggot for playing that in multiplayer" - Opponent when I played Confusion in the Ranks

Modern >

MagicVampire

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 01:51:23 pm »
hahahahah exact. Can I publish it here to show you?

Leonis26

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 02:47:44 pm »
Some Precisions because I had that question too before :

1 : The legendary permanent is not sacrificed but destroyed (the controller chooses one to put into the graveyard)
2 : If you have a flipped legion's landing (the legendary land), you can play another legion's landing without triggering the legendary rule as there is no more another legion's on the battlefield when you cast it (kinda obvious though) -> you can basically cast the second legion's landing with the transformed first (into a land)

MagicVampire

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 04:12:26 pm »
Obviously, once the first legion's landing has become a legendary land, the second can not be transformed because of equal legendary lands only one can remain in the field, right? Does this apply to the legendary spell rule?

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 04:24:18 pm »
Everything legendary

#Edit Mnemosyne
(Everything which is written as Legendary - card type - follows the legendary rule, including lands)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 04:29:17 pm by Mnemosyne »
Nils is the God I worship

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 04:26:59 pm »

Normally I would not allow you to. (it isn't the appropriate thread to post decks)
In this case, I'll allow it. Next time, use the deckstats review request, if you would.  :)

MagicVampire

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 04:40:09 pm »

Normally I would not allow you to. (it isn't the appropriate thread to post decks)
In this case, I'll allow it. Next time, use the deckstats review request, if you would.  :)

thank you

MagicVampire

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 05:59:38 pm »
This is my deck:

1 Concealed Courtyard
4 Dusk Legion Zealot
3 Duskborne Skymarcher
3 Forsaken Sanctuary
4 Gifted Aetherborn
4 Legion Lieutenant
3 Legion's Landing
3 Martyr of Dusk
2 Mavren Fein, Dusk Apostle
2 Metallic Mimic
6 Plains
2 Radiant Destiny
2 Sanctum Seeker
3 Skymarcher Aspirant
2 Survivors' Encampment
7 Swamp
3 Unclaimed Territory
4 Vicious Conquistador
2 Yahenni, Undying Partisan

My strategy is to immediately populate as many vampires as possible and be aggressive by winning in the first rounds. I was thinking of also adding Authority of the Consuls, which launches with one mana cost and slows down the opponent's game by facilitating my play of popular vampires. What do you think of this card? Then I would like to know if the number of lands is fine or I should lower it since my mana curve is around 2. However, even tips on how to modify it in general are welcome. Help me to improve and understand more about this fantastic game that is Magic! Thanks in advance for the advice ;)

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 08:27:40 pm »
With Authority of the Consuls, you will want Famished Paladin.  It would untap every time an opponent cast a creature spell.  I would also recommend Elenda, the Dusk Rose.  She gets bigger every time something dies... Whether or not it is yours.  And if they take her down?  Instant army of vampires.  And I cannot recommend Adanto Vanguard enough!

MagicVampire

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 09:10:06 pm »
The hungry paladin is not a bad idea ... I take your advice into consideration;) As for Elenda, the Dusk Rose I do not really like its effect because it's a creature with 4 mana cost and so I have to wait for a minimum of 4 shifts and then has to stay on the ground for at least a few more shifts if I want to take full advantage of its effect. With mana cost 4 I could then put a third Sanctum Seeker that at least does damage to the adversary when attack with vampires. What do you think about it?

Red_Wyrm

• I'm the boss of the forums.
  • Decks
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2018, 10:11:02 pm »
Hello

I saw the request to look at your deck before you posted it, so I posted my comments on the discussion page of your vampire deck list. Also Remember when you see a card like authority of the consoles, that you think is good for your deck, you SHOULD take something(s) out. You can have more than 60 cards but I don't recommend it. You want the 35-38 best cards for what you are trying to do and 25-22 lands  to make sure you get lands. Maybe 20 lands is good for this deck since the curve is so low. But if you do go over 60, make sure to have a proper spell/land ratio of 2/1 or close to it.
My King Baby said yes!
I thought you'd never ask
Also, I always spell your name correctly, Red_Wurm.  :)

Please, it is Red