deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Are there any unique or interesting rules your playgroup or friends use?  (Read 574 times)

Mostlynotgay

• It's really not THAT impressive
    • Mostlynotgay Videos
  • Decks
We all play games casually with friends.  Maybe a group of friends.  Maybe even a consistent, regular group (my group plays once a week).  When you're playing casual magic, there are always rules that maybe you bend or don't follow.  What are yours?  Here are some of mine. 

Rule 1: creatures can only attack one person per combat phase.  So even in multiplayer, you can only declare attacks against one person per phase.  No melee rules. 

Rule 2: No infect.  More specifically, you cannot die to infect which another player has put on you.  So no infect swings.  no infect counters + proliferate.  An exception is if I enchant myself with a card such as Phyrexian Unlife, then I can die to infect counters placed upon me by that card.  But you can't add infect counters with a card such as ichor rats.  If a creature has infect, it is disregarded.  If an effect cares about infect counters, it is always treated as 0.  the only exception is if one of us is trying to playtest one of their tournament/LGS decks, then they can.  But we don't allow it.  We hate infect. 

What about you? 
Youtube Videos: Mostlynotgay

"You're such a f*ggot for playing that in multiplayer" - Opponent when I played Confusion in the Ranks

Modern >

CardAgain Sweater

• Decks
My regular playgroup has 4 to 6 players playing casual, 60-card constructed multiplayer. If it was printed, it is legal (no one has lowered themselves to silver borders...yet); if anything gets oppressively annoying we police each other for the most part.

We find that unless rules are added to speed up the game, we only play one a night; so we alternate from night to night with one of:

Near-sighted - you can only attack or target the player or creatures directly to your right or left; global effects and wipes act normally.

Right-Left switch - a coaster with 'L' for left on one side and 'R' on the flip side for right. On your turn, you may only attack or target the player closest to you on the appropriate side, left or right. If you attack, the coaster is flipped. don't attack with creatures, the coaster does not flip.

Perma-Monarchy - first player to do combat damage to another player is the monarch, no card with the Monarchy mechanic needed. Then normal Monarchy rules to encourage attacks.

For infect, I like to replace 'infect' with 'wither'. There are some infect cards that are still fun without the infect part.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 01:03:17 am by CardAgain Sweater »
http://deck.tk/1PJd2YnD - Krokodil; my favorite Standard deck which focuses on -1/-1 counter synergy; currently illegal due to ban on attune. I'm brewing a post ban version...

Standard decks I'm trying:
http://deck.tk/4ixH1ndX - Mono G Monument
http://deck.tk/94QF5WSF - Booty Sac

Chronologist

• Decks
     The closest I've come to having group special rules like that is people asking "Okay, who told Frank (me) about Redirect/Deflection/Misdirection/Imp's Mischief/Ricochet Trap/Shunt/Insidious Will?  If another card like that comes out, don't tell Frank, okay?"

Mostlynotgay

• It's really not THAT impressive
    • Mostlynotgay Videos
  • Decks
My regular playgroup has 4 to 6 players playing casual, 60-card constructed multiplayer. If it was printed, it is legal (no one has lowered themselves to silver borders...yet); if anything gets oppressively annoying we police each other for the most part.

We find that unless rules are added to speed up the game, we only play one a night; so we alternate from night to night with one of:

Near-sighted - you can only attack or target the player or creatures directly to your right or left; global effects and wipes act normally.

Right-Left switch - a coaster with 'L' for left on one side and 'R' on the flip side for right. On your turn, you may only attack or target the player closest to you on the appropriate side, left or right. If you attack, the coaster is flipped. don't attack with creatures, the coaster does not flip.

Perma-Monarchy - first player to do combat damage to another player is the monarch, no card with the Monarchy mechanic needed. Then normal Monarchy rules to encourage attacks.

For infect, I like to replace 'infect' with 'wither'. There are some infect cards that are still fun without the infect part.

That’s actually interesting what you say there. My group used to do something where we’d have various rules in a little box and we’d pull one out for the game. That rule would control and override any conflicting rule.

Then we discovered Planechase. Everything changed when Planechase came to town.
Youtube Videos: Mostlynotgay

"You're such a f*ggot for playing that in multiplayer" - Opponent when I played Confusion in the Ranks

Modern >

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
My old playgroup before I moved used to do different things to spice things up. One that sticks in my mind was once a month oro we'd do a "foils matter" theme. You could have so many foils in your deck, 10 I think it was) and based on the card type they got certain buffs. Instants for instance got "split second" (I think it was).
This space for rent.

aba1

• Decks
We have a old rule that we implement from time to time that players can choose to block for each other. So if player A attacks player B then player C can block for player B.