deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Poll

Will there be a new WotC sanctioned eternal format in the next 5 years?

Yes. It will look much like frontier.
0 (0%)
Yes. It will be something totally original.
3 (33.3%)
No. Not in the next five years, but someday.
5 (55.6%)
No. There will never be another eternal format.
1 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: April 14, 2018, 06:09:24 pm

Author Topic: New eternal format possibilities.  (Read 774 times)

bradcoish23

• Decks
New eternal format possibilities.
« on: March 15, 2018, 05:09:24 pm »
I myself expect a new eternal format to be sanctioned by WotC within the next five years. I see it as an alternate revenue stream for them to tap into at some point. I'm interested if others think the same way.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Re: New eternal format possibilities.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 10:16:08 pm »
Haven't given it much thought but with Legacy, Vintage, and Commander already existing it's hard to imagine what one would be.
This space for rent.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 03:55:18 am »
Does Pauper count as an eternal format? It's starting to take off in paper Magic, but it could also fall flat.

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 03:26:05 pm »
Eternal formats are generally not "thought up" by WotC.  Commander, Pauper, Canadian Highlander - these are all fan produced formats.  Even Vintage and Legacy are not formats per se that Wizards has concocted.  Rather they are defunct formats (renamed) that fans have held on to.  Wizards has shown no interest in supporting formats that utilize reserve list cards.  I think that is the real reason that Wizards does not support eternal formats.

I have thought that a new constructed format would be needed.  Ever since the debut of color-coded expansion symbols (which was Exodus in 1998), I have thought that rarity should play a part in deck construction.  Something in between Pauper/Peasant and typical constructed.

Something like allowing a maximum of 2 copies of any rare, 3 copies of an uncommon, and 4 copies (maybe 5?) of a common.
Or something like a deck must have a minimum of 20 common cards (not counting basics), and 10 uncommon cards.

Happy Brewing  :)
Happy Brewing!
:)

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 03:42:18 pm »
WotC does make precon products for Commander.  They also made Eternal Masters for Vintage and Legacy players.  That is not what I meant by "support".  I was referering to sanctioned play events.  The original post was inquiring about a potential new format sanctioned and maintained by Wizards.  Yes Commander permits reserve list cards.  That format is neither sanctioned (sanctioned organized play) by Wizards nor maintained by Wizards.  An external group maintains the ban list.

Good luck on your new format.  I do like new format ideas.

If you want your format to take hold, the market price ban criteria will have to go.  If that is what works for your local playgroup, then great; go for it.  It would not work on a global scale.  It is not sustainable for a popular format.  A card's price increases as it becomes popular in a global format.  You can't have a card being banned simply because it has become popular in the format.  The theme thing would likely also have to go.  Judges know the anal-retentive, logical world of the Comprehensive Rules.  They are not there to deem a deck worthy or unworthy of a creativity award.  It would also be very time consuming to have to deem every deck worthy of participation prior to each and every event.  It is also very subjective.  You may be permitted in one event, but be disqualified in another.  Perhaps even by the same judge.

Happy Brewing!

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 07:16:10 pm »
The theme I can't see working the way you would want. Whatever the theoretical prize for the 'cosplay' portion of the tournament is would never be as big as the prize for winning or placing top 8 in the tournament. If choice between two cards for the deck comes down to either fitting the story-telling portion or an alternate win-con, guess which 99.9% of players are going to pick? People enter tournaments to win the tournament.

As for the money portion of the "format", you'd quite possibly be banning the cards that are powerful in your own format every six months to unban them six months later when their prices dropped only to then ban them again six months later when the prices raise back up. Sure, that would shake the meta up every few months but that is essentially an unpredictable rotation which would be a turn off to a lot of people.
This space for rent.

burn your face

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 03:49:14 am »
I made up a joke format where you can only play cards that have been printed as mythic. You can use masterpieces, and from the vault. You also could not use any basics, so blood moon was really good.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 04:27:16 am »
WWolfe - Your points seem to heavily rely on assumptions, and some of it sounds like you’re responding to some parts of the thread without reading later parts.  In any case, I have a separate thread for this discussion, so we don’t need to take this one over.

I'm pretty sure you're just not open to hearing any negatives about your perceived new format. I'll just wish you good luck with it and be done discussing it.
This space for rent.

Endurr

• Lover of evil decks
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 05:02:04 am »
I hope you know that frontier is not an eternal format, but a constructed one as an eternal format uses every card ever printed.

WotC will never hold sanctioned events for an eternal format and likely won't create one either. Although, I do believe it could be possible that they create and support/hold events for a new constructed one similar to that of frontier or modern, or maybe they'll make a new rotating constructed format like standard or the old extended.
turn 5 karn > turn 2 phage

;)

Endurr

• Lover of evil decks
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 05:55:23 am »
turn 5 karn > turn 2 phage

;)

CardAgain Sweater

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 06:58:07 am »
https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Eternal_(format)

modern is not eternal.
Your citation appears to be an empty wiki page.  Do you have a WotC-written source to support your usage? 
I’ve heard various content-creators like the TCC Professor refer to Pauper and Modern as eternal because they don’t cycle.  They don’t speak for WotC, but the no-rotation definition at least makes sense, since “every card ever printed” includes ante cards, and those are banned in every official and semi-official format.  If the term doesn’t apply to anything, what’s the use of the term? 

Eternal formats are DCI tournament formats which allow cards from all Magic: The Gathering sets with the standard card back and black or white borders. (Unglued and Unhinged have silver borders and are therefore not included.)

The two eternal formats are Vintage and Legacy.[1][2]

That is a qoute from where the broken link was meant to go;  took a 5 second google search.
http://deck.tk/1PJd2YnD - Krokodil; my favorite Standard deck which focuses on -1/-1 counter synergy; currently illegal due to ban on attune. I'm brewing a post ban version...

Standard decks I'm trying:
http://deck.tk/4ixH1ndX - Mono G Monument
http://deck.tk/94QF5WSF - Booty Sac