deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Stack/Spell Order Question  (Read 252 times)

SamsWrath

• Decks
Stack/Spell Order Question
« on: March 21, 2018, 05:17:08 am »
Here's the scenario:

-I attack with Monastery Swiftspear & Goblin Guide
-My opponent either declines to block or can't block
-I proceed to drop Lightning Bolt, Lava Spike, Fireblast & Goblin Grenade

I want the 2 attack damage from the Goblin Guide to hit my opponent so the Goblin Grenade can't be cast until after the Goblin Guide has finished attacking.

Is there any way for my Monastery Swiftspear to get the +1/+1 for the Goblin Grenade in time for the attack phase or will the Monastery Swiftspear attack be limited to the +3/+3 she gets from Lightning Bolt, Lava Spike & Fireblast?

Thanks!
The acronym LGS always confuses me. Are we talking about the Local Game Shop or Local Gun Shop? Thankfully, I have a nearby strip-mall with both!

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
Re: Stack/Spell Order Question
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 05:40:30 am »
Lava Spike and Goblin Grenade are both sorceries.  Neither can be cast during combat.

If you could give it flash ... you will still have to choose.  Both creatures deal combat damage simultaneously.  You cannot play it before Monastery Swiftspear deals combat damage, but after Goblin Guide deals combat damage.

if you could give Goblin Guide first strike ... in addition to giving Goblin Grenade flash ... Goblin Guide would deal first strike damage, then you could cast the flash-y Goblin Grenade which would trigger prowess of Monastery Swiftspear

But since all the spells in your exampe are red, I'm assuming you're in mono-red.  Not likely to happen.

:)
Happy Brewing!
:)

SamsWrath

• Decks
Re: Stack/Spell Order Question
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 05:46:47 am »
@ApothecaryGeist,

Thanks. I had a feeling that was the case. I'm just getting back into magic after almost 15 years and I am a bit hazy on a number of the rules.
The acronym LGS always confuses me. Are we talking about the Local Game Shop or Local Gun Shop? Thankfully, I have a nearby strip-mall with both!