deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Dominaria Sagas?  (Read 1006 times)

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
Re: Dominaria Sagas?
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2018, 11:47:13 pm »
Solemnity will completely shut down Sagas.  Solemnity says that (in part) counters can't be placed on enchantments. 
The rules that have been released say:
When a Saga enters the battlefield it gets a counter; and after your draw step it gets a counter. 
When a saga gets a counter, it triggers the corresponding chapter number.
If a saga loses a counter, nothing is triggered; but if it re-gains a counter, that chapter will trigger a second time.

Each chapter only triggers when a counter is placed.  So if a Saga can't get a counter placed, nothing will ever trigger.  Chapter one will not trigger repeatedly.  And if the final chapter never triggers, the Saga will just stay on the battlefield doing nothing, and waiting for Solemnity to be destroyed.

:)

Cool, thanks for clarifying that!  :)

When Wwolfe mentioned Solemnity, I thought it would work like this:
Phyrexian Scriptures enters the battlefield on 1 (the counter doesn't use the stack) then the saga checks the chapter trigger, then resolves. You play Solemnity, the counter isn't added, the state-based effect checks the chapter counter, rather than checks the trigger of the counter being added. (it is all very confusing)

You would probably need Quarry Hauler to physically abuse it by forcefully removing the counters.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 11:49:18 pm by Mnemosyne »

dokepa

• Decks
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2018, 01:03:20 am »
I tried to do a little research just on standard , I came up with this list of cards that will have some kind of bearing on saga triggered abilities . Disallow , keldon warcaller , maulfist revolutionary , nimble obstructionist , quarry hauler , siren stormtamer , skyship plunderer , solemnity , winding constrictor . Plenty of removal is at disposal . (12 cards ) and counter spells (15 cards ) . I am more concerned with the triggered abilities myself , whether its offensive or defensive .  :-\

CardAgain Sweater

• Decks
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2018, 04:25:49 am »
Animation Module can make sagas skip either chapter 2 or 3, as I read it. Sagas trigger after draw step, so if you act prior to the next trigger, putting a 2nd counter on a saga would skip chapter 2 and adding a 3rd counter would cause it to be sacrificed.
http://deck.tk/1PJd2YnD - Krokodil; my favorite Standard deck which focuses on -1/-1 counter synergy; currently illegal due to ban on attune. I'm brewing a post ban version...

Standard decks I'm trying:
http://deck.tk/4ixH1ndX - Mono G Monument
http://deck.tk/94QF5WSF - Booty Sac

HowlingLotus

• Decks
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2018, 04:35:35 am »
I think they are awesome in terms of flavour and mechanics.

I'm also happy I have a playset of Power Conduit laying around.
Mainly play Casual Multiplayer and EDH.

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2018, 05:03:16 am »
Animation Module can make sagas skip either chapter 2 or 3, as I read it. Sagas trigger after draw step, so if you act prior to the next trigger, putting a 2nd counter on a saga would skip chapter 2 and adding a 3rd counter would cause it to be sacrificed.

It does not work that way.  They have stated in the Dominaria Mechanics article that if you manage to add multiple counters to a saga, all of the corresponding chapters will trigger.  AND you get to put them on the stack in any order.

So removing counters does not cause chapters to trigger
Not putting a counter on does not allow an existing chapter to trigger
Adding a single counter causes a single chapter to trigger (even if it has been triggered before; possible with counter removal)
Adding multiple counters causes all corresponding chapters to trigger (even if they have triggered before; possible with counter removal)

After the final chapter ability has left the stack (those are the rules words), the Saga is sacrificed as a state-based effect.

Happy Brewing!

CardAgain Sweater

• Decks
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2018, 05:31:34 am »

It does not work that way.  They have stated in the Dominaria Mechanics article that if you manage to add multiple counters to a saga, all of the corresponding chapters will trigger.  AND you get to put them on the stack in any order.

So removing counters does not cause chapters to trigger
Not putting a counter on does not allow an existing chapter to trigger
Adding a single counter causes a single chapter to trigger (even if it has been triggered before; possible with counter removal)
Adding multiple counters causes all corresponding chapters to trigger (even if they have triggered before; possible with counter removal)

After the final chapter ability has left the stack (those are the rules words), the Saga is sacrificed as a state-based effect.

Gotcha. I was reading it as the saga puts on a counter and triggers after draw. The part i got wrong was that only the counter is added after draw, the saga's chapter trigger happens whenever a lore counter is added. Thanks for clearing it up for me. Inspiring Statuary Animation Module can still cause the saga to advance to the next chapter at instant speed, so that's nice.

Or maybe I'm still wrong but in a fun, new way :)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 07:52:45 am by CardAgain Sweater »
http://deck.tk/1PJd2YnD - Krokodil; my favorite Standard deck which focuses on -1/-1 counter synergy; currently illegal due to ban on attune. I'm brewing a post ban version...

Standard decks I'm trying:
http://deck.tk/4ixH1ndX - Mono G Monument
http://deck.tk/94QF5WSF - Booty Sac

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2018, 02:37:29 pm »
I think Saga's are something that can be abused in the right EDH build.

The new legend Muldrotha will love some of these with her ability to cast a permanent of each type from your graveyard each turn.
This space for rent.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2018, 02:10:45 pm »
Muldrotha, the Gravetide with some of these Sagas could be darn interesting.
This space for rent.