deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Let’s Make our Ideal Master Set!  (Read 2165 times)

TheWakaEmu117

• #BringBackStorm
  • Decks
Let’s Make our Ideal Master Set!
« on: April 04, 2018, 10:12:02 pm »
So I recently posted a thread about the finances of magic, master sets, and reprints.
I had this idea while walking to class, let’s make a masters set for us the players, and what we want.

So first things first. I don’t want this to be the greatest draft format ever. This set is about making expensive cards more accessible to players and lowering the cost of competitive play. So let’s not worry to much about the draft side of this.

Second this is about value. Cards that need the reprint because they are ridiculously expensive for what they are. No penny rares or trees of redemption.

Third, we can decide rarities. I think many mythics that have been printed in recent masters sets should have been rares. Stuff like Tarmogoyf, Snapcaster Mage, Chalice, Ensaring bridge maybe, but these cards had been printed at rare previously. I don’t think we should go switching commons and uncommons around but if you have a justification for it I think that’s fine. But I understand why those were mythics.

Fourth, for previous 249 card master sets this is the distribution; 15 mythic rares, 53 rares, 80 uncommons, and 101 commons.

Let’s start with mythics
Right of the bat I think, Jace the Mindsculpter, Karn Liberated, Liliana of the Veil, are my first picks. Maybe the Swords.

Rares: allied man lands, enemy fetch lands, doubling season, Snapcaster Mage, tarmogoyf, arcbound ravager, thoughtseize, goblin guide, cryptic command,

Uncommons: remand, inquisition, fatal push, spell snare, street wraith

Commons
Oubliette

That’s just what I think I may be wrong on rarity and price/value but I hope can come up with some thing worth buying!

I can't even read

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Re: Let’s Make our Ideal Master Set!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 11:39:38 pm »
I'm just throwing out suggestions for cards that have started to cost a little too much, and that more people would play if they cost less. I've kept the rarity the same, but included where I think a shift could be.

Mythics: Vampiric Tutor, Mana Crypt, Mox Opal (could be rare), Sen Triplets (why are they so expensive? make them a rare), Force of Will, Ugin the Spirit Dragon.

Rares: Imperial Seal, Gemstone Caverns, Ancient Tomb, Mana Vault, Bloom Tender (could be uncommon), Land Tax, Chrome Mox, Shared Animosity, Ravages of War, Back to Basics, Leyline of the Void (could be uncommon), Leyline of Anticipation (could be uncommon), Blood Moon (50% of the masters sets have had a Blood Moon or a Magus of the Moon, just make it uncommon already), Chalice of the Void, Trinisphere (could be uncommon), Thorn of Amethyst, Gaddock Teeg, Chromatic Lantern, Pact of Negation, All is Dust.

Uncommons: Sensei's Divining Top, Shattering Spree, Aura Shards, Remand, Path to Exile, Lantern of Insight, Aether Vial, Goblin Lore (could be common), Reanimate, Personal Tutor, Dryad Arbor (could be rare, but not mythic), Street Wraith, Kitchen Finks, Ancient Ziggurat.

Commons: Thought Vessel, Rhystic study (could be a rare), Ash Barrens, Manamorphose, Relic of Progenitus, Lotus Petal.

Finally, Storm Crow and Colossal Dreadmaw at common (because it's funny, that's why).

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 11:53:11 pm »
Lotus Petal is at least rare
Nils is the God I worship

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 12:23:04 am »
Lotus Petal is at least rare

It was a Common in Tempest.
This space for rent.

TheWakaEmu117

• #BringBackStorm
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 12:25:21 am »
Yeah fast mana like that isn’t usually common I’m not sure how we should go about organizing and sorting selections and final selections for this but right now I will just keep a list of all the cards mentioned. Powerful stuff like top which isn’t too expensive $15 is not great but bearable. I feel like it can be anywhere from $8 to $15 and not be Ridiculous.

Maybe uncommon for lotus petal might be an okay compromise
I can't even read

Swizzle63

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 01:32:30 am »
Original Dual Lands at Common  :P ;)

Firegriff

• Decks
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 03:31:26 am by Firegriff »

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 03:26:29 pm »
Maybe uncommon for lotus petal might be an okay compromise

That's what it was in Tempest Remastered online.
This space for rent.

burn your face

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 10:13:35 pm »

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2018, 10:45:26 pm »
Kozilek, Butcher of Truth & Emrakrul, the Aeons Torn

This space for rent.

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2018, 11:45:07 pm »
Happy Brewing!
:)

burn your face

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2018, 12:38:00 am »
Blackcleave cliffs. And possibly the rest of the allied fast lands.

TheWakaEmu117

• #BringBackStorm
  • Decks
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 06:14:03 am »
This great so far I. I’m very excited tomorrow or the day after I will tally all these suggestions up then put the list here and we can see what we think. I am cautious about printing 15 total rate lands maybe just the most expensive of the fast lands or a combination of both. Some of the zendikar fetches like arid Mesa have stabilized at like $35 but idk. Maybe a combination of the most played lands out of certain cycles like go half fast lands and half man lands. What do you all think? Also what about commons, there are a few that are a few dollars. Maybe cantrips like ponder and stuff.
I can't even read

Firegriff

• Decks

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2018, 02:02:28 pm »
This great so far I. I’m very excited tomorrow or the day after I will tally all these suggestions up then put the list here and we can see what we think. I am cautious about printing 15 total rate lands maybe just the most expensive of the fast lands or a combination of both. Some of the zendikar fetches like arid Mesa have stabilized at like $35 but idk. Maybe a combination of the most played lands out of certain cycles like go half fast lands and half man lands. What do you all think? Also what about commons, there are a few that are a few dollars. Maybe cantrips like ponder and stuff.

Cantrips are good.

Also, Mana Drain could use another reprint. It's still around $60.
This space for rent.