deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Walking Ballista  (Read 552 times)

dokepa

• Decks
Walking Ballista
« on: May 07, 2018, 12:46:28 am »
I have been watching this card for a while now and its still on an up and steady gain . As of today $18.12 . This is insane . I have been holding on to 18 of these since its release . Are that many people using this card is all other formats ?? I only play standard , brawler and pauper .

TheWakaEmu117

• #BringBackStorm
  • Decks
Re: Walking Ballista
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 12:58:58 am »
Yeah its crazy good in other formats. In modern its played in a lot of the tron decks in some number, its a win con for the green devoted druid chord combo decks. Its played in vintage workshops. and its really good in commander in the big mana decks and stuff.
I can't even read

CardAgain Sweater

• Decks
Re: Walking Ballista
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 02:47:20 am »
It is a card that can 'do' so much, so it fits in several decks across multiple formats. It's ability to act at instant speed is the key to its utility

Its a creature
Its an artifact
It can be a creature death trigger, creature gy trigger, artifact destruction trigger whenever you need it
It can ping creatures without tapping
It has the ability to hit planeswalkers without tapping
It can hit players directly without tapping
It can be played early or late to maximize value depending on mana available
Its a mana sink, adding +1/+1 counters when you have nothing better to do
It's a combat trick if you pump it, or if you ping during blockers phase
Target for scarab god
I suppose it's also a trigger for the new 'historic' mechanic

There are more, I'm sure. It's a great card that has demand from other formats than standard. It has been near this price before and as low as $10. Great pile to sell or sit on. I'd consider selling some now that is back up in price before the upcoming rotation in the fall hurts its demand. Sit on some as it has value in other formats.

I'm not sure what caused the recent 50% price increases. It's in conjunction with the Challenger deck release which should have had a downward effect on price as more became available.

EDIT: UPDATE - I understand UW flash historic is a standard deck with internet hype that is enabled by new dominaria cards; it runs a playset of these. That's the cause of the current spike. Price started going up around dominaria release. Challenger deck reprints had zero effect on value. Last little spike was during ixilan to pick off low toughness pirates/merfolk/vampires and enrage dinos.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 05:31:53 am by CardAgain Sweater »
http://deck.tk/1PJd2YnD - Krokodil; my favorite Standard deck which focuses on -1/-1 counter synergy; currently illegal due to ban on attune. I'm brewing a post ban version...

Standard decks I'm trying:
http://deck.tk/4ixH1ndX - Mono G Monument
http://deck.tk/94QF5WSF - Booty Sac