deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Beating Stax  (Read 681 times)

Soren841

• Decks
Beating Stax
« on: April 07, 2018, 01:27:42 am »
So I play Yidris Storm in EDH as many of you Im sure can tell. Ive noticed stax is a big issue and wondering if sans white storm has any cards to fight through stax effects
Nils is the God I worship

TheWakaEmu117

• #BringBackStorm
  • Decks
Re: Beating Stax
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 06:42:04 am »
I dont play cEDH but Maybe the wipe effects like jokulhaups or mass artifact and creature removal will help. I don't know very many super cheap effects like that but green has some pretty okay enchantment and artifact removal. Some of it may simply just to slow.

But then again Im a filthy casual so yeah... Kill all artifacts and creature effects might help.
Idk I hope I helped in some way.
good luck
I can't even read

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 07:08:40 am »
I run on artifacts though. I'm thinking replace Abrade with Vandalblast? Its 1 less cmc for Ad Nauseam and it hits all artifacts I don't control, but it cant be used to kill a creature
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 07:42:15 am by Soren841 »

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 05:52:42 pm »
We need a little more information to help you out.

What are the stax decks that you go up against? What cards/effects give you the most trouble?

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 06:43:02 pm »
Tapping effects are okay, static orb is bad but I can remove that. Brago as well as just taxing effects. I didnt know if there are like cards that are viable in top tier storm that can make it more resilient without slowing it down. The only thing I have found is my deck uses Doomsday as an alt wincon which definitely is my go-to for beating stax at the moment.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 06:46:06 pm by Soren841 »

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 11:05:45 pm »
Alright, so here's what I see from looking at your deck.

1. Money is not an issue.
2. Your answers have to be low mana, preferably 1 or 2 mana. 3 mana has to do something really special.
3. This deck is highly dependent on its artifacts.

Now normally, if artifacts are giving you a hard time, I'd recommend Seeds of Innocence, but this will likely hurt you more than your opponents. I'm on the fence about Vandalblast. In cEDH, I have never seen anyone overload Vandalblast, the cost is just too high. But with all the ramp you have, it might be feasible. I personally prefer Shattering Spree, and it will also work with Yidris. If you cascade into Shattering Spree, you can still replicate it (it is an additional cost, not alternate, like Vandalblast).

You should also consider some of the following.

Caustic Caterpillar: you can activate it at instant speed. However, if Cursed Totem is prevalent in your meta, don't use Caustic Caterpillar.

Flusterstorm: designed for storm decks, you can counter those stax effects for one mana. Flusterstorm counts the number of spells played (both yours and your opponents) so they'll have to pay two mana to counter both copies (or more, if they had cast other spells that turn).

Paradox Engine: you use lots of artifacts that are waiting to be untaped. Paradox Engine will help get around tapping effects. The downside... It's 5 mana, and that might not be an option if you're heavily staxed.

Remember: you can combo off quickly. For many stax effects, you'll only need them gone for one turn. I've assumed that most of these effects are artifacts. If creatures are giving you trouble, Toxic Deluge and Pyroclasm will eliminate most hatebears.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 11:14:55 pm »
Flusterstorm has never done it for me, and paradox engine didnt make the cut when I was going through, it used to be huge in the deck. I do like the looks of Shattering Spree though
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 11:17:19 pm by Soren841 »

TheWakaEmu117

• #BringBackStorm
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2018, 01:48:49 am »
I talked to one of my friends about this he plays competitively as well, he suggested Ancient grudge, maybe dissenter's deliverance.
I can't even read

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 01:58:12 am »
Those just seem kind of lackluster for 2 mana

TheWakaEmu117

• #BringBackStorm
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2018, 03:08:04 am »
ancient grudge is nice because it has flash back, so you can cast it twice.
I can't even read

TheWakaEmu117

• #BringBackStorm
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2018, 03:08:52 am »
but they may not fit into your list.
I can't even read

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2018, 04:59:15 am »
It's a tight list. Is there one that cantrips or something?

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2018, 05:50:11 am »
There is another possibility: Yidris has died to the meta.

It happens. I play in a competitive league as well. If the people you play with have implemented lots of ways to counter storm decks, then their might not be much for this deck to improve. Switching to a different play-style might be the way to go.

TheWakaEmu117

• #BringBackStorm
  • Decks
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2018, 06:17:35 am »
I don't think that there is a cheap one that cantrips and blows something up while staying under like 3 mana. Ancient grudge might be your best bet. Deliverance is nice cuz you can cycle it to and it still counts as casting a spell i think
I can't even read

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2018, 07:00:16 am »
Yidris hasn't died he just never has been resilient to stax