deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Upgrading WOTC's Pre Cons  (Read 335 times)

TheWakaEmu117

• #BringBackStorm
  • Decks
Upgrading WOTC's Pre Cons
« on: April 15, 2018, 09:27:35 pm »
So I am a sucker for WOTC pre cons personally I really like the planeswalker decks and always get my dad to by the newest ones when we go to the prerelease. They are great decks to play against each other  and are always fun. But they are really weak overall and suffer heavily from inconsistency. Yesterday I upgraded the Angrath planeswalker deck and Varaksa planeswalker decks with some better cards. Don't get me wrong they are far from being competitive but they are great for decent game play and teaching new players. But Heres how I upgraded them, First took out alot of the junk cards the vanilla bears, while fun don't do anything you can more value out of good one drops or better 2 drops. I raided me and my dads binders for cheap rares that fit into the deck and the R/B pirate deck is actually pretty sweet and I think it will be standard playable in the fall when alot of the mono red pieces rotate out. Ruin Raider is really good so is direfleet neck breaker

What do you guys think about these, Also this goes for the Commander product as well, I love the cat deck from C17 but Its mana is pretty inconsistent. Its hit and miss, more than it should. The wizards deck is just bad, vampires is pretty good, and dragons is good but a little slow.

How do you guys go about upgrading these? I would love to hear what you guys do.
I can't even read

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Re: Upgrading WOTC's Pre Cons
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 05:35:13 am »
The Commander pre-cons are usually well built. This year was a little lacking; too many lands that enter tapped. It made the decks very slow and inconsistent. However, I still have to play these decks before I upgrade them.

Usually, I play the deck, and see what I like about it, and what I don't like. For example, I liked the dragon theme of The Ur-Dragon precon, but no so much the mana ramp aspect. I instead replaced some of the more expensive dragons with cheaper and more effectivedragons (Scourge of the Throne), and then fixed up the land base (pain lands instead of bounce lands, more basics, and a chromatic lantern).

And then I got bored and built a different deck. But it was fun while it lasted.

Soren841

• Decks
Re: Upgrading WOTC's Pre Cons
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 06:17:10 am »
I find that they generally focus on 3 themes at once (2 main ones and 1 that makes you just ask why?) The best thing to do imo is to pick one and streamline the deck for that. Also upgrading the mana/ramp base.
Nils is the God I worship