deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [EDH / Commander] Grenzo, Goblin Toilet Commander--He shits em' out!  (Read 1265 times)

SamsWrath

• Decks
Grenzo, Goblin Toilet Commander--He shits em' out!

1) Grenzo, Dungeon Warden shits out goblins
2) The goblins form a gang
3) The goblins gang-bang all other permanents and players
4) GG!
The acronym LGS always confuses me. Are we talking about the Local Game Shop or Local Gun Shop? Thankfully, I have a nearby strip-mall with both!

crimsonking

• Decks
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 11:31:16 am by crimsonking »

SamsWrath

• Decks
Re: [EDH / Commander] Grenzo, Goblin Toilet Commander--He shits em' out!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 01:26:56 pm »
Took your advice on a few cards and added a few others I came across but, now I am having a hard time thinning down to 100. I need to eliminate 6 cards. Do you have any suggestions?

I want to keep the mana-fixes, cost reductions, scry, search/tutors and move cards from battlefield/GY to bottom of deck cards. I am leaning toward removing Thran Turbine and Goblin Chirurgeon but, I'll still need to thin another 3 cards.

I am removing Thran Turbine because it only gives 2 colorless and while nice, is the least useful of my mana-fixes. Removing Goblin Chirurgeon takes me down to 7 sac outs but, most people use creature board wipe with "cannot be regenerated" so I see sacrificing creatures for mana, scry or pump as on overall better option.

I still need to thin another 4 cards.

I want to keep my creature/goblin density as high as possible so that it's easy for me to bottom-deck with Grenzo even if I don't have scry available.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 01:48:53 pm by SamsWrath »
The acronym LGS always confuses me. Are we talking about the Local Game Shop or Local Gun Shop? Thankfully, I have a nearby strip-mall with both!

crimsonking

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 02:13:32 pm »
I have 36% of creatures while you have 49%.
Though I admit I'm on the lower side, I think you can safely trim some extra critter.
Moreover, you're very low on lands (I have 35, which I consider a bare minimum, while you've only 30).
Cards that I'd cut:
Chrome Mox (card disadvantage, Thran Turbine is better)
Extraplanar Lens (worth only in monocolor decks)
Gauntlet of Might, Gauntlet of Power (just put more lands instead)
Herald's Horn (irrelevant, goblins already don't cost that much and you're playing them with Grenzo anyway)
Bloodmark Mentor, Foundry Street Denizen, Frogtosser Banneret, Goblin Lackey, Legion Loyalist, Tuktuk the Explorer, Warren Instigator (weak)
Goblin Gardener (Goblin Settler is enough, and he has to die to do his deed)
Skirk Fire Marshal (too much suicidal, in my opinion)

crimsonking

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 02:21:36 pm »
I was thinking...
Put Purphoros, God of the Forge and stuff like that.
It should be more effective than trying to swarm on everybody.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 04:36:28 pm »
Thran Turbine is in no way better than Chrome Mox. U can only even use it on cumulative upkeep costs because thran turbine says u cant use the mana to cast spells. Every legal mix along with mana vault and mana crypt should be in this deck
Nils is the God I worship

crimsonking

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 04:43:18 pm »
Thran Turbine essentially lets you flip a card from the bottom of your library for free, each turn.
And you only have to invest one colorless mana once.
That's not weak at all, it's almost a second Sol Ring in this deck.

SamsWrath

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 11:11:29 pm »
Crimson, why use Nekrataal over Ravenous Chupacabra ? I'm gonna work the Chupa into my deck as well as a Viashino Heretic. I might also try to work Wort, Boggart Auntie back in.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 11:25:46 pm »
 Why use either when u can cast down or damnation

crimsonking

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2018, 11:27:31 pm »
Nekrataal is worse than Ravenous Chupacabra (I think I put a reminder there), but I have a soft spot for it.
Wort, Boggart Auntie is especially good with Gempalm Incinerator: it's a repeatable removal and a draw engine altogether.

crimsonking

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2018, 11:31:08 pm »
Why use either when u can cast down or damnation
Nekrataal (and the Chupacabra) can be flipped with Grenzo and tutored with Fleshwrither.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 11:43:29 pm by crimsonking »

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 11:46:30 pm »
Idk I feel like they could just be replaced with something better

SamsWrath

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2018, 11:33:16 am »
So... I took this deck to my LGS for Commander League and I have to say it performs well. I built it to be a "fair deck" so I won't loose points for excessive combo, excessive searching (doesn't include fetch land searches in my CL), excessive land destruction or drawing too many cards/turn (Grenzo's ability happily gets around that rule). Also, the 30 lands worked very well. I've now played a total of 13 games without the need for a mulligan.

If the CMC of cards is low enough and there are a few other ways to generate mana, there's no need 35+ lands in Commander. Also, I am running a lot of Fetch Lands and with Crucible of Worlds, 1 Fetch in my GY pretty much allows me to thin all the lands out of the deck which, makes Grenzo's ability that much stronger!

Crimsonking, I think you'd get more out of your build if you add more fetch lands. Also consider that anytime Grenzo shits a sorcery, instant, artifact or enchantment to the GY, you can move it under the deck and then use a fetch to shuffle--effectively giving yourself a second shot at that particular card.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 11:52:26 am by SamsWrath »

crimsonking

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2018, 02:22:50 pm »
Although I know any fetchland can go in any deck, I have a personal rule to only use those that search for lands in my color identity (I've made an exception only for The Gitrog Monster).
Moreover, I run several cards (Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed, Anarchist, Recoup, Yawgmoth's Will and, though in a more convoluted way, Reito Lantern) to recycle my sorceries (typically just Doomsday).
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 09:49:07 pm by crimsonking »

SamsWrath

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2018, 09:28:25 pm »
My fetch lands only search lands that produce mana of my commander's color identity. There are more than enough available to search red/black to have 10+ if you wanted.