deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Casual] Merfolk RIX My first Deck  (Read 238 times)

elgueromoreno|

• Decks
[Casual] Merfolk RIX My first Deck
« on: May 02, 2018, 01:48:20 am »
Merfolk RIX

I'm new to Magic
Need help to defeat a friend who always beat me up
Suggestions are accepted.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 01:58:31 am by elgueromoreno| »

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
Re: [Casual] Merfolk RIX My first Deck
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 02:45:10 am »
What does this friend play?  Maybe folks can help you design a deck specifically to beat that one.
Happy Brewing!
:)

elgueromoreno|

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 02:47:05 am »
He usually plays Vampires Black/Red from Eldritch Moon

MilMaster

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 12:42:04 pm »
well I am sorry but without a deck list it will be pretty hard to design a deck against his deck... also I would like you to think about the following:

There are a lot of cards in MTG tht are specifically designed to wreck other cards (Boiling sea is a perfect example for this). However these cards tend to be rather useless against other decks... so unless you only have that one friend with only that one deck I wouldn't recommend building a deck just to mess with his deck idea. not only will it be cost inefficient but also will it ruin his fun for playing maybe leaving you behind with a deck that wrecks his 8/10 cases but no one to play it against.

So just in general I'd suggest not building a deck completely against him. IN MTG there is something called sideboard (contains of 15 cards and these cards may be added to your deck after the first round is played in order to get the edge over certain decks)

However this is where the problem starts... you can add cards that are simply useless unless something very specific happens or some very specific deck is used.

I would much more recommend you to build an overall strong deck that focuses more on yourself than your opponnents.

There are (in my opinion 2 ways to go in MTG) decks that focus on themselves ... trying to get themselves as strong as possible (tribal, ramp, mid range, late game etc.) and then there are decks that try to win by dismantling the oponnents deck (Mill, control, land destruction, discard etc.)

If you look at these types as some kind of line the question you'll have to ask is: where do I wanna stand? most decks these days are placed somewhere along the line... (just like yours above) mostly creature/tribe heavy with some control and card draw mixed in!

And I think this is what you wanna be looking for! A deck that plays around itself mixed with some control to deal with the biggest threats!

I know this because I have built a Land destruction deck that starts taking your lands at T2 (most cases even T1) so you ll my opponent will play with 0,1 or max, 2 mana the whole game.

I like playing it but most of my friends ask me not to... so yeah you'll always have that risk if you go for such a deck.

TL:DR: you shouldn't build a deck completely built against one deck because you won't have fun with it long and your friends will not like to play against it either.

Hope this somewhat helps :)

Should you be interested in having a longer conversation - get in touch  :P

Milmaster

elgueromoreno|

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 11:05:34 am »
Thanks MilMaster, your advise was of great help.
Right now I am doing an update on this deck focusing on  putting counters on merfolks, drawing cards (exploring) and countering target spells.

In addition I'll share my collection if you want to check it, https://deckstats.net/collection/5431/

Nabantius

• There is always a greater power.
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 06:22:53 pm »
I see to many cards in this deck and it is not commander format, you need to think  for "what i want to do", "what strategy im going to focus" and get your deck down to 60 cards,  i have an Ixalam merfolk tribal deck that you can check on. You can leave a comment too if you think you need any help.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 06:28:24 pm by padillalester85 »
Nabantius