deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Great Designer Search: Deckstats Edition Phase 3  (Read 3253 times)

Firegriff

• Decks
Great Designer Search: Deckstats Edition Phase 3
« on: May 16, 2018, 05:39:06 am »
So Wizards of the Coast just released the cards designed for phase 3 of the Great Designer's Challenge.  I thought we could have a little fun with it and run our own play here with the same rules. I am hoping G. Moto and Mnemosyne will acquiesce to being the judges.
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/great-designer-search-3-judging-design-tests-2018-05-15

I will post my own designs for the contest in a reply to the post.  Let's say May 22nd to design and submit for the challenge?

« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 05:41:34 am by Firegriff »

Firegriff

• Decks
Re: Great Designer Search: Deckstats Edition Phase 3
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 05:40:31 am »
Kaliope, the Blazing Sky (Mythic Rare)
3WU
Legendary Planeswalker
0 Proliferate
-2: Create a 0/1 artifact bird token with flying.  Put a +1/+1 counter on each creature that you control.
-8: Creatures you control get +2/+2 and unblockable until end of turn.

Vile Feast (Rare)
1WB
Card Type – Enchantment
(WB) Target creature you control takes 1 point of damage and you gain 1 life.  Use this ability only once whenever a creature you control dies.

Unicorn's Grace (Uncommon)
1GW
Enchantment - Aura
Enchanted creature gains +2/+2, Trample and Lifelink.

Burning Justice (Uncommon)
RW
Sorcery
CARDNAME deals 4 damage to target creature.  If that creature would die this turn, exile it instead.

Skyshroud Skyraider (Common)
2GU
Creature – Elf Wizard
2/3
Flying
Tap: Add GU to your mana pool.

Ashes From Below(Rare)
XBR
Sorcery
Creatures lose Indestructible until end of turn.  CARDNAME deals X damage to all creatures.  Until end of turn, any creature that dies is instead exiled.

Volcanic Insight (Common)
UR
Instant
Scry 2.  Reveal the top card of your library.  CARDNAME does damage to target of your choice equal to that card's converted mana cost.

Torvald, the Shallow Grave (Mythic Rare)
4BG
Legendary Creature – Vampire Mutant
7/4
Deathtouch.  Trample.  Whenever a creature you control dies, return a creature with lower converted mana cost from your graveyard to your hand.

Slippery Mind (Common)
UB
Instant
Until end of turn, whenever target player would take damage, they discard a card from their hand and put the top card of their library into their graveyard.

Sslissereth, Lord of the Pit (Rare)
3RG
Planeswalker
+1: Creature a 1/1 red and green snake token with deathtouch.
0: Target creature you control fights target creature you do not control.
-8: You get an emblem that states: Whenever a creature enters the battlefield, it fights target creature of your choice.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 12:28:04 am by Firegriff »

CardAgain Sweater

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 06:00:41 am »
I'm reading this now; it is lengthy but worth it. The great designer search articles all give excellent insight into how WotC creates cards and evaluates their power level.

I haven't dreamt up any cards from reading, but the attention to details put into card design is very interesting. So many levels of concerns to worry about.
http://deck.tk/1PJd2YnD - Krokodil; my favorite Standard deck which focuses on -1/-1 counter synergy; currently illegal due to ban on attune. I'm brewing a post ban version...

Standard decks I'm trying:
http://deck.tk/4ixH1ndX - Mono G Monument
http://deck.tk/94QF5WSF - Booty Sac

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 06:14:26 am »
I personally would be happy to be a judge for this event.

As this is a chance to show off creativity, (and we are not competing for a job at WotC) it will largely be judged subjectively.

However, there will be several objective points - primarily, the stated rules of Trial 3:
1) Submit 1 card of each 2-color combination.  2) Submit 2 cards of each card type; artifacts and lands are not needed.  3)Make sure that your 2 cards of any given type do not overlap colors.  4) Each rarity should be represented at least twice.

You should also follow the format that the first design on the list should be what you consider your best.  Then proceed incrementally to the tenth design, which should be what you consider to be your weakest design.

As I said above, the judging criteria will be to evaluate the creativity of the cards.  Modern templating need not be adhered to, as long as I can grok what the card is supposed to do.

I will be looking at whether the cards function within the game rules.   I will be looking at whether the cards break the color pie.  And I will be looking at whether the commons feel like commons, and so on at each rarity.

Did I mention - Be creative!

I often sign off my posts with "Happy Brewing!"  But I think in this case I will wish everyone "Happy Designing!"  :)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 06:16:40 am by ApothecaryGeist »
Happy Brewing!
:)

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 01:20:27 pm »
You're absolutely welcome to join in the judging, ApothecaryGeist, and I look forward to seeing your ideas and opinions regarding the entries for the challenge.  I am crossing my fingers and hoping to see a lot of people's ideas and creativity at work!

MonteTribal

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 08:53:26 pm »
Aether Convalescence (Rare)
XWU
Instant
Return target creature you control to it's owner's hand with converted mana cost X. You draw X cards and gain X life.

Ashiok, Dream Theif (Mythic)
2UB
Legenday Planeswalker - Ashiok
{3}
{+1}: Exile the top card of each player's library.
{0} : Until end of turn, you may cast cards exiled with Ashiok, Dream Theif and you may spend mana as though it were mana of any color to cast those spells.
{-1} : Each opponent exiles a card from their hand.
{-6} : Each player discards their hand, then exile all cards from all graveyards. You gain an emblem with "At the beginning of your upkeep, you lose 1 life and draw 1 card."

Will of Blood (Rare)
BBR
Enchantment
Pay 2 Life: Will of Blood deals 2 damage to target creature. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.
Whenever a creature dies, you gain 1 life.

Battle Roar (Uncommon)
RG
Instant
Target creature you control gets +4/+4 and trample until end of turn.

Groush, Oaken Brother (Mythic)
GW
Legendary Planeswalker
{1}
{+3} : You gain 3 Life.
{-X} : Put X 0/1 Saproling tokens onto the battlefield.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if Groush has 7 or more loyalty counters on it, you may transform Groush.
Groush, Fury of the Wood
{-1} : Creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.
{-2} : Put a 2/4 Treefolk token onto the battlefield.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if Groush has 2 or less loyalty counters on it, you may transform Groush.

Feed the Grounds (Uncommon)
GB
Sorcery
Sacrifice a creature, then choose one:
 - Target creature gets +X/+X
 - Gain X life
where X was the sacrificed creature's converted mana cost

Devotee of the Night (Common)
1WB
Creature - Human
{T}, Put a -1/-1 on Devotee of Blood : Target Vampire you control gets+2/+2 until end of turn.
0/3

Grab and Release (Common)
3UR
Sorcery
Gain control of target creature until end of turn. It gains haste. Return that creature to it's owner's hand at end of the turn.

Trueflame's Temper (Rare)
2RW
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant Equipment
Enchanted Equipment gains indestructible and "Equipped creature gets +3/+3"
*Man that's sharp!"

Sharp-Edged Ophidian (Rare)
2UG
Creature - Snake Mutant
Flash, Flying, Deathtouch
~ cannot be countered
1/1
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 04:05:22 pm by MonteTribal »

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 11:54:42 pm »
Maybe uncommon for that last one because it is only a 1/1
Nils is the God I worship

MonteTribal

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 12:53:31 am »
It was actually supposed to be uncommon, but rares there now and I don't mind sticking to it. Not totally inappropriate, because of the cannot be countered, but it is kind of under powered, which some cards need to be

CardAgain Sweater

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 01:29:46 am »
It was actually supposed to be uncommon, but rares there now and I don't mind sticking to it. Not totally inappropriate, because of the cannot be countered, but it is kind of under powered, which some cards need to be

I think the combination of flash and the flying deathouch pushes this into rare territory, the 'cannot be countered' pushes into rare for sure, in my estimation (look at the stats, costs, and keywords for Prowling Serpopard for comparison). I believe you got the rarity right as it is posted. These are supposed to be "Standard-level-power" after all. Can't go crazy :)
http://deck.tk/1PJd2YnD - Krokodil; my favorite Standard deck which focuses on -1/-1 counter synergy; currently illegal due to ban on attune. I'm brewing a post ban version...

Standard decks I'm trying:
http://deck.tk/4ixH1ndX - Mono G Monument
http://deck.tk/94QF5WSF - Booty Sac

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 01:58:15 am »
That's true I suppose, maybe standard level power will go up after the Core set, which I'm personally very excited for.
Nils is the God I worship

MonteTribal

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 02:27:32 am »

I think the combination of flash and the flying deathouch pushes this into rare territory, the 'cannot be countered' pushes into rare for sure, in my estimation (look at the stats, costs, and keywords for Prowling Serpopard for comparison). I believe you got the rarity right as it is posted. These are supposed to be "Standard-level-power" after all. Can't go crazy :)

My only argument against rare is Winged Coatl exists exclusively at common, and Fleetfeather Cockatrice is uncommon (but that one has actual battle stats). But I think an uncounterable, almost unconditional kill spell is good at rare for limited reasons.

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 02:15:25 pm »
Since Apothecary Geist has offered to judge, I wouldn't mind participating, if that is allowed? :P

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 02:28:08 pm »
It certainly is!  I thought you might enjoy judging, hence the invite 😇

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2018, 02:32:08 pm »
It certainly is!  I thought you might enjoy judging, hence the invite 😇

You are nice to offer. I do usually, however, this time I felt like participating! Thank you.  :)

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 07:51:53 pm »
I look forward to seeing your entry!