deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Re: Great Designer Search: Deckstats Edition Tribal Challenge  (Read 3234 times)

Soren841

• Decks
Re: Great Designer Search: Deckstats Edition Tribal Challenge
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2018, 04:05:08 pm »
I dont think Spy Eye really counts? But I see a pattern with the other two lol.
Nils is the God I worship

MisterDalek

• Waiting for gary in standard
  • Decks
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2018, 03:52:04 am »
Beholders, or Eyes as they are referenced in Magic, are magical creatures with spheroid bodies consisting of one large eye and many tentacles, each with an eye at its tip. These beings typically dwell in areas with a high concentration of black mana, such as urborg, tormenting any travelers who are unfortunate enough to find themselves in eye territory. In combat, beholders use the massive eye at their front to stun enemies while each of the eyes on their many tentacles either search for other opponents or blast the foe with intense magical energy.

In MTG, there are only two eyes, making it very easy to discern the main mechanics of eyes: If you have eyes they are all that can attack, creatures blocking eyes are destroyed, and eyes cannot always be blocked.

Like Morganator, I have never really gotten into standard, so while I can say that these cards perform well together, I don't know how they would interact with the current standard environment.

Watcher of Urborg (COMMON)
2B
Creature - Eye
4/2
~ cannot attack unless you control another eye
4B: Destroy target creature blocking ~.

Encapsulating Gaze (COMMON)
U
Sorcery
As an additional cost to cast ~, tap an untapped Eye creature you control
Tap target creature an opponent controls, that creature does not untap and loses all abilities as long as you control an eye creature

Urborg’s Scrutiny(UNCOMMON)
3B
Instant
Untap all Eye creatures you control
Whenever an Eye you control blocks or becomes blocked by a creature this turn, destroy that creature

Servant of Orms-by-Gore (UNCOMMON)
1UB
Creature - Eye
2/4
~ cannot attack unless you control another eye
Eye creatures you control cannot be blocked except by walls

Piercing Marshland(RARE)
Land
~ Comes into play tapped
T: Add U or B
2UB, T: Target Eye creature you control can’t be blocked this turn

Ocular Ascension (RARE)
4UU
Enchantment
Non-eye creatures you control can’t attack
Eye creatures you control have flying and +2/+2
Whenever an Eye creature you control deals combat damage to a player, you may draw a card

Oculatus, the All-Seeing (MYTHIC RARE)
4UB
Legendary Creature - Eye
6/5
Non-eye creatures you control can’t attack
2UB: Target non-eye creature becomes an eye instead of any other types while ~ remains in play
{U/B}{U/B}: Gain control of target Eye creature you don’t control

Great Lens of Urborg (MYTHIC RARE)
Legendary Artifact - Equipment
Equipped creature is an eye instead of any other types
Equipped creature has flying
Whenever equipped creature becomes blocked by a creature, destroy that creature
Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to a player, draw that many cards
Equip 4
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 04:12:54 am by MisterDalek »
I play black decks.

That's about it.

MonteTribal

• Decks
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2018, 04:59:12 pm »
These are really fun designs. I like the tribal attack clause as a twist on the classical 'only eyes can attack' restriction. They really have some cool flavor in a bunch of these cards. I really like how Encapsulating Gaze makes the Eye 'blink', but I do think it the target should just lose abilities until end of turn because permanent effects from spells without counters could cause some memory issues. Oculatus having hybrid mana is cool, and I think it works because both blue and black have some stealing mechanics, black's being more tribal themed as well (CaptivatingVampire and New Blood)

MonteTribal

• Decks
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2018, 11:45:19 pm »
I think we may have tapped out on entries lol

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2018, 12:02:08 am »
Damn, was hoping for more. Oh well enough stalling for me i guess  ;D I'll post results in a little while

MonteTribal

• Decks
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2018, 12:12:53 am »
Me too, but it's been pretty silent for over a week :/

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2018, 04:28:39 am »
Here is one just for fun.  Griffins are still my entry, but I think it would be a shame not to have an iconic, original tribe represented.

Experiments.  Preferred sacrifices.  Hideous creatures.  Thrulls are a unique creature to magic from back in Fallen Empires, one of the earliest tribes.  Summoned for the cruel fortune of being sacrificed, most often to destroy the memories of their creator's enemies. As such,Thrulls need support for staying on the battlefield only briefly.

Thrull Mindpiercer [common]
BB
Creature - Thrull
Sacrifice [Cardname]: Each opponent puts the top 2 cards of their library into their graveyard.
1/3

Experimental Recycling [common]
WB
Sorcery
Return two target creatures from your graveyard to your hand.  Until end of turn, you may cast any Thrulls returned this way without paying their casting cost.

Essence of Immortality [Uncommon]
2BW
Instant
Sacrifice a creature.  Creatures you control gain lifelink and indestructible until end of turn.  If the sacrificed creature was a thrull, you may activate an ability of that creature as though it were sacrificed for that ability.

Labratory Shackles [Uncommon]
Artifact - Equipment
Whenever equipped creature does combat damage to an opponent, that opponent puts cards from the top of their library into their graveyard.
If equipped creature is a Thrull, it gains deathtouch.
Equip: Sacrifice a creature.

Thrull Slavedriver [Rare]
3BW
Creature - Thrull
Defender
Whenever [Cardname] or a thrull you control dies, opponents discard cards from the top of their library equal to it's toughness.
0/4

Sanitarium of Lost Souls [Rare]
Legendary Land
[Cardname] enters the battlefield tapped.
T: Add B or W to your mana pool.
BW, T: Return target Thrull from your graveyard to your hand.

Thrull Recycling [Mythic Rare]
1WWBB
Enchantment
Whenever a non-token thrull you control dies, put a token into play that is a copy of that Thrull.

Thrull Reaver[Mythic Rare]
2WB
Creature
Sacrifice a Thrull: Exile target creature.
1/4

crimsonking

• Decks
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2018, 06:45:47 pm »
Is the contest still open? What have I to do, just post the cards and comments? Thanks.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2018, 07:20:57 pm »
I can squeeze u in lol

Whomever decides to judge the contestants may alter the rules if they wish (G Moto? 😉).  I definitely think each applicant should use a different underused Tribe (not an already developed tribe such as merfolk or elves, for instance.  Having already submitted an entry, I will keep it as is unless rule changes necessitate making any changes.  However, the rules as stated by WOTC when given to their candidates for an internship are as follows:

Tribal themes (cards that mechanically care about one or more creature types) have been popular since Limited Edition (Alpha). For this challenge, we want you to choose a creature type, ideally one that hasn't seen a lot of love in Magic's history, and design eight cards. As this is a design challenge, there are few requirements you'll have to meet:

The creature type has to be unique from the other designers. We'll be taking requests first come, first served. Each designer will be using a different creature type. The creature type must be one that already exists in Magic and we strongly urge you avoid ones that have had a lot of previous tribal designs.

All the creatures should be designed as if they were from the same set. Assume the set is a Standard-legal set.

All eight cards must mechanically care about the creature type. They should not simply be the creature type.

Two cards must be designed in each rarity (common, uncommon, rare, and mythic rare).

At least two different colors must be used. The colors have to thematically fit the creature type in question. Multicolor designs are not required, but are allowed.

You must have at least one artifact, one creature, one enchantment, one instant, one land, and one sorcery among your cards. (The remaining cards can be whatever you'd like.)

For named keyword mechanics, you are allowed access to all evergreen mechanics and up to two non-evergreen mechanics (keywords and/or ability words). Note that there is no requirement to use named mechanics. Please do not create any new named keyword mechanics.

What will the judges be looking for?

Flavorful Design: The designs need to capture the feel of the creature type. These shouldn't be designs that any creature type could use, they should be designs that specifically make sense because of the creature type you're designing for.

Fun Gameplay: These cards can't just read well, they need to play well, most importantly in a tribal-themed deck. Make sure to build a tribal deck and playtest your designs.

Synergy: As the cards are all being designed as if they appear in the same set, we'll be looking at how well they play with one another.

Originality: Magic has made a lot of tribal cards over the years. We would like at least some of your designs to explore new tribal design space.

Color Pie Appropriateness: Your color choice needs to be appropriate to your flavor as well as your mechanical designs. Bends are allowed if appropriate (although be frugal with them), but breaks are not.

Rarity Appropriateness: Your designs need to fit into the rarity you're designing for. You can assume your tribal theme is large enough that it can show up in all rarities. Be careful in how you interact with creature types that aren't normally referenced at common.

Card Type Appropriateness: Make sure that your cards are properly representing the card type they're in. Note to be careful with cards that are mimicking other card types (for example, instants or sorceries that only create tokens). You have a little flexibility as we're only asking you to commit to six card types. You can use the extra cards to play in that space (aka if you make a sorcery that creates tokens, also make a sorcery that acts like a sorcery).

You will need to submit the following:

Your Name

Design 1 (YOUR FIRST COMMON)
Design 2 (YOUR SECOND COMMON)
Design 3 (YOUR FIRST UNCOMMON)
Design 4 (YOUR SECOND UNCOMMON)
Design 5 (YOUR FIRST RARE)
Design 6 (YOUR SECOND RARE)
Design 7 (YOUR FIRST MYTHIC RARE)
Design 8 (YOUR SECOND MYTHIC RARE)

Comments: You will have up to 250 words to say whatever you want about your design. You are free to talk about individual cards, but I would suggest spending some of your words explaining holistically what you were up to with your overall design.

We're excited to see what you come up with.

MonteTribal

• Decks
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2018, 07:49:17 pm »
Is the contest still open? What have I to do, just post the cards and comments? Thanks.

I guess I spoke too soon :p

MisterDalek

• Waiting for gary in standard
  • Decks
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2018, 10:09:16 pm »
Is it okay if I make a minor edit to one of my cards or should I leave them as is? I think Urborg's Scrutiny would be better balanced for sealed formats if it untapped all creatures you control instead of being restricted to only eyes.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 10:10:55 pm by MisterDalek »
I play black decks.

That's about it.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2018, 01:02:51 am »
Sure but hurry, submissions are final once crimson submits his cards.

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2018, 05:30:42 am »
This competition is still ongoing? You need to be stricter with your submission deadlines Soren. :P Hopefully Crimsonking will submit his soon.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2018, 08:05:46 am »
We kept waiting for more people and no one ever submitted more, kinda feelsbad moment since this is a fun challenge.

crimsonking

• Decks
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2018, 12:28:24 pm »
This competition is still ongoing? You need to be stricter with your submission deadlines Soren. :P Hopefully Crimsonking will submit his soon.
I don't know if I'm going to participate, actually.
I was just asking, because I didn't find the deadline.
In fact, I'd feel bad too if you're just waiting for me.