deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Core Set 2019 (Spoilers)  (Read 1014 times)

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
Core Set 2019 (Spoilers)
« on: June 11, 2018, 09:12:44 pm »
Okay, guys! A lot of cards have been released as of this weekend.

I'm going to put a few notable cards here.

Artefact

These new artefacts work well with Dominaria, some cards haven't had their pictures released. Until they do, you'll have to make do with this inconspicuous little number. - Crested Sunmare?

Land

Whilst this is not a new card, and the other lands have yet to be officially released, we see the return of the Requilary Tower. A card that makes Khefnet and Pull from Tomorrow an option?

Green

The power upgrade for green is, insane! - With the rotation of Kaladesh/Amonkhet - Ixalan/Dominaria and M19 will see the resurgence of green! We don't have landfall, but we do have low-cost green powerhouses! Titanic Growth and Lanowar Elves see reprint.

Red

So these cards have yet to be fully realised, but I can see a trend, Goblins. Goblin Instigator is a card I think will work well in Goblin Tribal in Standard. Catalyst Elemental is a card like Skirk Prospector, mana for your Lightning Strike?

Black

I like that Red and Black have seen a power reduction in this set. Most importantly they are going back to basics. Murder sees a reprint, as well as the staple, Gravedigger.
Even though Amonkhet rotating shortly after will see the disappearance of Dread Wanderer, we will see its successor...

Blue

Blue is seeing a lot of reprints in this set, namely, Anticipate/Disperse/Divination/Cancel. However, with cards yet to be released, there is a little number I would like to share, especially for all you mill players. Patient Rebuilding with Sphinx's Tutelage?

White

White is definitely going back to basics, with low-cost creatures, and angels, as well as an important reprint of Mentor of the Meek. Last seen in Innistrad? (Not counting reprint sets)

Hoped you liked these spoilers!  :)

Mibuswolf

• Slay Evil Swiftly
  • Decks
Re: Core Set 2019 (Spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 05:09:11 pm »
Although it's a vanilla creature Gigantosaurus blows my mind... reminds me of the first time I saw Force of Nature back in the day.  ;D

ladof

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 05:14:32 pm »
Turn 3 10/10? sounds like fun to me...
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Mibuswolf

• Slay Evil Swiftly
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 08:58:31 pm »
Hehe my thoughts exactly, this dinosaur screams for a turn 3 play and yes that would be fun indeed!  :D

HowlingLotus

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 05:07:16 am »
Some of the stuff they have shown the past few days.... wowzers. Seeing as my playgroups focus is casual kitchen table and EDH I can see potential from quite a few.

> Ajani, Adversary Of Tyrant will go in my white/green cat deck I'm tweaking.
> Nicol Bolas, The Ravager is plain disgusting.
> Resplendent Angel, revealed today, is just what I needed for an angel/horse deck I'm tweaking (old one always created groaning reactions so I stopped playing it). When the green horse is officially spoiled I hope it's good.

One of the ones I'm looking forward to the most is more so for its potential design space... Palladia-Mors, The Ruiner. The whole 'x' has 'y' if 'z' clause doesn't come off as something I've seen before, or at least worded that way.

I'm curious to see what spikes in price now due to reveals. I'm glad I had restraint and bought a couple Lyra Dawnbringer's the other day for pretty close to the lowest I've seen her. Resplendent Angel might spike Lyra.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 05:11:45 am by HowlingLotus »
Mainly play Casual Multiplayer and EDH.

IsaacKel

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 02:54:27 pm »
These cards look so sweet! I wish I've had more of them so I can play around with them a bit more. Luckily a friend of mine is a lot more hardcore so I'll get that chance once he's done with them. lol

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 05:31:06 pm »
More spoilers guys. You've been patient, now it's time for you to be rewarded!  :P
I haven't put the commons/uncommons up, only the rares I think could be of interest to you.

Artefacts

I'm not sure if these artefacts, Crucible of Worlds notwithstanding, will have an impact on Standard/Limited or Modern -
Amulet of Safekeeping is low enough on the curve that it could be annoying to control/ramp decks. Which is especially good for mono red/white decks. The tokens effect is a little punishing - that said, there are not many in standard, currently.
The Magistrate's Scepter looks fun, especially when you can use cards to circumvent its 4 mana ability - Energy Chamber

Multicoloured

Welcome Elder Dragons - Wait... Aren't they 'mostly' all dead? Who cares! I like Arcades and Palladia the most! Assault Formation on a Dragon! Not to mention the Dragonlord Atarka reminiscent Palladia.

Oh, yeah Nicol Bolas, the Ravager - He is disgusting, as HowlingLotus has said, but in the best way. Even if he dies you can flip him by exiling from your graveyard!

Green

Elves tribal is looking strong going into M19. With Steel Leaf Champion and Marwyn, the Nurturer supporting the theme from Dominaria it looks viable.

Red

Goblin tribal could actually be a thing, especially after rotation puts out Kaladesh and Amonkhet - assuming Goblin Chainwhirler isn't banned in the upcoming announcement (July 2nd)

The Dragon theme looks pretty viable, especially when you can ramp into them using the new Sarkhan, Fireblood. Whilst he doesn't protect himself, the mana cost is low enough, for him to be an early threat with the loot ability or ramp function. - Turn 4 Glorybringer?

Black

It looks like Wizards are trying to push as many tribal themes as they can, before rotation. Zombies, an example, which was dominant before Shadows over Innistrad rotated looks poised to repeat its dominance. Maybe? With Death Baron reprinted, and currently at 90% its original cost, it could be a nice budget brew. Phylactery Lich is a powerhouse! Combine it with something like Darksteel Myr, or Amaranthine Wall?

I have to say, Liliana, Untouched by Death, is one of the weakest reiterations of her to date. Self-mill without the payback of Liliana, Death's Majesty makes it vastly unplayable- Unless you are willing to -3 her and cast a zombie from your graveyard (you still have to pay its mana cost), which isn't much of an advantage unless you are in a bind. Then again, why pay 4 to cast a spell that lets you recast a zombie from your graveyard when you can play something better?

Blue

Blue is doing what it does best, enchanting and spell slinging. The Supreme Phantom is a nice card. However, it lacks spirit support in a limited format, especially standard, currently. One with the Machine is a crazy sorcery in conjunction with Requilary Tower and Metalwork Colossus. (Just an idea) Finally Sai, Master Thopterist is one of those cards that make you hate people that play cheesy combo decks like Paradoxical Outcome and Aetherflux Reservoir...

White

These are by far my favourite, of the spoilers. Resplendent Angel is a card I know will be played. It is just such a threat, and whilst it is difficult to gain 5 life in a turn, who would want its ability to trigger? Isolate is a nice little niche card, something that would fit into your sideboard in Modern against something like Zurgo Bellstriker or Goblin Guide.

Cleansing Nova is obviously for those Karn, Scion of Urza decks which could potentially make artefacts dominant after rotation in Standard? Finally Ajani, Adversary of Tyrants. This is the card white needed after Gideon Ally of Zendikar rotated out of standard. They have been missing a good mono coloured planeswalker. Gideon of the Trials is not that great... Let's be honest. The -2 ability is incredibly useful, especially with shock still in the format after rotation. We just need some good 1-2 drops to utilise this ability. Even so, the +1 is useful in conjunction with Legion's Landing, and other token generators.

Anyway, I've rushed through this, but I hope you've liked the commentary/ spoilers!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 06:23:56 pm by Mnemosyne »

HowlingLotus

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 03:44:28 am »
I'm super impressed with the set as a whole in terms of new cards and some much needed reprints.

I hope this is a sign that we will see more cards that need reprints - especially ones with only one or two printings ever (without brining RL into the fold... causes too many fights).
Mainly play Casual Multiplayer and EDH.

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2018, 08:26:03 am »
The set has been spoiled in its entirety and I'm definitely seeing some good stuff in this core set. A lot of combos that can be done and some creative deck builds depending on what cards a person pulls. If anyone pulls omniscience make sure that you play it :p