deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: What if we brought Shuffle-Draw into Magic?  (Read 439 times)

Mostlynotgay

• It's really not THAT impressive
    • Mostlynotgay Videos
  • Decks
What if we brought Shuffle-Draw into Magic?
« on: June 13, 2018, 11:57:01 pm »
Hello everybody!  It's I, not G.Moto (just kidding, please don't take away Karma).  I am not nearly popular enough to add commentary to the beginning of my posts yet, but my plan is to blow up, then act like I don't know nobody (hahahahahahaha... Vine).  I've been away, and I apologize for that. 

I play a lot of Pokemon TCG.  Some DB:S, too.  But mostly pokemon and mtg.  In pokemon, you have shuffle-draw cards like Cynthia.  Cynthia is a supporter (you can only play one supporter per turn, but that's not the point) that states "shuffle your hand into your deck, then draw 6 cards."  It is a 4 of in every deck.  I'm wondering, would a similar effect work in magic?  Or would it be too good? 

We have a lot of draw cards.  Draw one, draw two.  But Drawing 6 would come with an unholy cost.  Would the ability to dump your hand back into your deck and draw that many cards be viable?  I mean we have Dark Deal which costs 2B and each player discards and draws that many minus one.  But could Magic benefit from a card that shuffles your entire hand into your deck, then just draw a new hand? 

Thoughts?  Or not.  It's cool either way. 
Youtube Videos: Mostlynotgay

"You're such a f*ggot for playing that in multiplayer" - Opponent when I played Confusion in the Ranks

Modern >

CardAgain Sweater

• Decks
Re: What if we brought Shuffle-Draw into Magic?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 12:13:57 am »
Hello everybody!  It's I, not G.Moto (just kidding, please don't take away Karma).  I am not nearly popular enough to add commentary to the beginning of my posts yet, but my plan is to blow up, then act like I don't know nobody (hahahahahahaha... Vine).  I've been away, and I apologize for that. 

I play a lot of Pokemon TCG.  Some DB:S, too.  But mostly pokemon and mtg.  In pokemon, you have shuffle-draw cards like Cynthia.  Cynthia is a supporter (you can only play one supporter per turn, but that's not the point) that states "shuffle your hand into your deck, then draw 6 cards."  It is a 4 of in every deck.  I'm wondering, would a similar effect work in magic?  Or would it be too good? 

We have a lot of draw cards.  Draw one, draw two.  But Drawing 6 would come with an unholy cost.  Would the ability to dump your hand back into your deck and draw that many cards be viable?  I mean we have Dark Deal which costs 2B and each player discards and draws that many minus one.  But could Magic benefit from a card that shuffles your entire hand into your deck, then just draw a new hand? 

Thoughts?  Or not.  It's cool either way.

Cards that have that effect exist in MTG, but they are older cards and deemed too powerful for the current Standard play environment Wizards has chosen to foster. In other rule formats, older cards are allowed like wheel of fortune. The relatively low mana cost and bevy of other cards that "care about" when drawing and discarding happen can allow for lots of busted stuff I guess.

Standard does have commit // memory though. You have to get the card in the graveyard before you can cast the second half, and it's sorcery speed, and it costs 6 mana - but it does what you describe.

I'm thinking the ability to move that many cards from one zone to another with one easy to cast spell/card really limits what you can do with other cards (in terms of caring about discard and draw, or graveyard size) in the same format without running into the trouble of busted combos.
http://deck.tk/1PJd2YnD - Krokodil; my favorite Standard deck which focuses on -1/-1 counter synergy; currently illegal due to ban on attune. I'm brewing a post ban version...

Standard decks I'm trying:
http://deck.tk/4ixH1ndX - Mono G Monument
http://deck.tk/94QF5WSF - Booty Sac

Firegriff

• Decks

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
Re: What if we brought Shuffle-Draw into Magic?
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 02:32:19 am »
See Timetwister and Teferi's Puzzle Box.

Powerful and abuse-able.  :)
Happy Brewing!
:)