deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Standard] 5 on 3 - no rares  (Read 447 times)

SirTurtle28

• Decks
[Standard] 5 on 3 - no rares
« on: July 16, 2018, 10:12:07 pm »
5 on 3 - no rares

The idea of the deck is to continuously pump out 5/5 creatures starting on turn 3 (hence 5 on 3). The first two turns are basically ramping with Llanowar Elves and Draconic Disciple. by turn 3 you can have a kicked Untamed Kavu or Charging Monstrosaur. Later in the game when you have access to 7  mana (turn 4 or 5 sometimes) you can sacrifice a Disciple for a 5/5 dragon with flying.

This presents continuous pressure until you can get Grunn out, regular or kicked, then use thud for a finisher. Most of the time this OTK with Grunn will not be necessary but it's a win condition if the game drags on or if you're facing control.

Currently there's a bug with Llanowar elves showing up as $186. they're actually only about $0.25 and the total cost of the deck is around $9.70.

Dragon Egg - Help against board clears and are an instant 2/2 flyer with reckless rage, killing their creature and activating yours. basically a 2 for 1.

Forerunner of the Empire are just for searching for Charging Monstrosaur basically ensuring you will almost always have a 5/5 every game.

Spells:

Adventurous Impulse - Early Game: If you don't get llanowar on turn 1 or are down mana, you can dig for one. Late Game: you can use it to bypass useless mana or spells and grab a crucial creature to keep putting pressure. I feel this is more consistent in many off-putting situations like being mana screwed or flooded.

Gift of Growth - Excellent defensive card. When tapping for mana with llanowar elves or Draconic Disciple you can leave yourself defenseless during your opponents turn. this allows you to untap, buff and hopefully kill any attacking creatures they might have.

Fight with Fire - for troublesome creatures or end game 10 dmg. since you have access to a TON of mana late game, you can get the kicker cost out early.

Shock - Great low mana cost burn for either a defensive kill or ping off a threat early game. Any burn spell like Abrade, Lightning Strike, reckless rage or Shivan Fire are also good for this spot. i picked shock mainly because of it's versatility and low mana cost.

Thud - Strictly used for finishing the game. either with Grunn or a 5/5 that punched through for 5 damage making thud basically hit for 10 (attack + thud).

Sideboard:
Colossal Majesty - a cheap card draw for longer games. it's extremely powerful late game when you're drawing 2 a turn and flooding the board with 5/5s.

Druid of the cowl - Side this for 2 llanowar elves if facing aggro, a beefier 2 drop or if you're also siding Reckless Rage so your Druid of the cowl survives the backlash.

Naturalize - Side in for Fight with Fire, Gift of Growth, or Adventurous Impulse. mainly for pesky artifacts or enchantments. Side it in for Fight with Fire if they have artifact threats. Side it in for Gift of growth or Adventurous Impulse if it's a slower game.

Reckless Rage - Side in for Shock when in a slower game that may need to kill larger creatures. great removal and doesn't do much to your 5/5s. also activates your egg giving you a 2/2 flyer.

Shivan Fire - Side in for Shock when facing bigger creatures or Adventurous Impulse when facing aggro. great creature removal in general. worth considering maining instead of shock.

Volcanic Dragon - Side in for Grunn, The lonely King if you feel you need faster pressure or flyers. Keeping the (no-rares) mentality this is a no brainer

************************************************************************************************************
This is still a work in progress. Play testing has shown it's extremely defenseless in turns 1-3 and sometimes can't recover against removal. still working out the kinks
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 05:26:51 pm by SirTurtle28 »

megahero1234

• Decks
Re: [Standard] 5 on 3 - no rares
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 10:16:40 pm »
I would replace the memorial to war with mountains because the ability on memorial is way too expensive to matter, and the etb tapped can really slow you down. If you really want to hit spell lands like Azcanta, the sunken ruin, then you should just run field of ruin.

SirTurtle28

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 10:21:00 pm »
Duly noted! thanks. I was toying with removing them. they slow down the progression in the beginning and don't add much in the late game. You're probably right in removing them.

Thanks!

Teddy217

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 10:29:20 pm »
Add Elfhame Druid.

it taps for Green or two green if your kicking. More ways to Kavu kick on turn three.

(I have a Kicker deck.)

Teddy217

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 10:30:36 pm »
Also, If your looking for better lands for post rotation, Rootbound crag as a four of is good especially with all those basics.

Teddy217

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 10:35:09 pm »
Good uncommon dino to ramp is Ranging Raptors

SirTurtle28

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 10:37:56 pm »
Add Elfhame Druid.

it taps for Green or two green if your kicking. More ways to Kavu kick on turn three.

(I have a Kicker deck.)

I looked at Elfhame Druid a bit but it didn't seem to fit. Llanowar Elves are in there for obvious reasons but the Draconic Disciple can be used early game or late game with a larger swing factor than Elfhame Druid. The Druid could certainly be a good sideboard against combo decks though.

Thanks!

CardAgain Sweater

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 10:56:04 pm »
I see you have no sideboard yet, so I'd like to put a word in for druid of the cowl. I'd consider putting it in the mainboard, but it slows down your plan by one turn.

The benefit would be the 3 toughness; goblin Chainwhirler made a big impact on deck building in standard, as it's enter the battlefield effect kills llanowar elves, other 1 toughness creatures and tokens. Llanowar elves can use its ability at least once before Chainwhirler comes down - unless red is mana boosting with goblins, etc., as well - but the druid lives through that, other 1 damage ping effects (like plague mare, ixalan enrage enablers), or shock type damage.

I like the druid better than llanowar elves, but your strategy may need to be faster; that's why I recommended the sideboard - if your opponent has the low damage kill thing going on you can side in the druids and slow down your curve to keep your main strategy.

Wayward swordtooth is also a 5/5 in your colors that would help you ramp, if you have extra lands to play.

RG has a lot of fun choices, and this looks like an interesting way to go; thanks for sharing your idea!
http://deck.tk/1PJd2YnD - Krokodil; my favorite Standard deck which focuses on -1/-1 counter synergy; currently illegal due to ban on attune. I'm brewing a post ban version...

Standard decks I'm trying:
http://deck.tk/4ixH1ndX - Mono G Monument
http://deck.tk/94QF5WSF - Booty Sac

SirTurtle28

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 04:34:59 am »
Thanks CardAgain Sweater,

I am having some issues deciding what to put in for sideboard. you make a good point about the goblin Chainwhirler though and other multi damage spells. the 3 defense will also help if i need to Reckless Rage something and choose the druid for the recoil damage. It's a toss up between the Druid of the cowl & elfhame druid though. both help in different ways for different situations. would it be worth putting a set of both in the side board?

Thanks for the input!

mattd564

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 12:36:59 am »
Sweet deck dude! May want to change the set Llanowar elves is from so the price tag is more accurate

SirTurtle28

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 03:59:49 am »
Sweet deck dude! May want to change the set Llanowar elves is from so the price tag is more accurate

It looks to be a bug. the Llanowar elves would be from Dominaria or M19 and are worth about $0.25 not $186 lol

The whole deck is under $10. though.

SirTurtle28

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2018, 05:27:44 pm »
Updated main deck and sideboard. Check em out!