deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: What's that one card you like that never makes it into decks?  (Read 1055 times)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Been gone a while dealing with real life issues, but I've been thinking about a lot of topics whilst away. This one I came up with today actually while making cuts to put some newer cards into some of my EDH decks..

What's the one card that you like that never seems to make the cut and get into your decks?

For me it would be Moonlight Bargain. I really like the card BUT it never makes the final cut. I had it in my Karador deck, but it ended up replaced (can't remember by what). I had it in the final three cuts for my Sidisi self mill deck when I was rebuilding it but it missed the final cut for another sac outlet. I actually ran it in my Yahenni deck for a few months but it ended up cut today to test-play Josu Vess.
This space for rent.

Soren841

• Decks
Re: What's that one card you like that never makes it into decks?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 05:07:26 am »
It kind of fits, but it's also an entire deck. Gitrog in EDH. I usually build competitive decks and he's an amazing value engine so I keep trying to build him casually just for the engine, and it always fails. Same with Damia.
Nils is the God I worship

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 10:47:19 pm »
Oracle of Bones.

I think this card is really cool, because it gives your opponent a choice; either they have to deal with a 5/3 with haste... or something. The element of uncertainty is what makes the decision a hard one. Wildfire Eternal is similar, but just doesn't give the same dilemma.

The problem, is that you ideally want some really explosive instant/sorcery, that costs more than 4 mana. Most instants/sorceries just aren't practical at that cost, although I could see an argument for extra turn spells or Enter the Infinite.

NolanMiller

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 10:59:32 pm »
Gnat Miser. It is a weak card most of the time, but in the right places it can be great. Also Blood Tyrant, especially in multiplayer.
Phyrexia shall return, mark my words...

DelverMage

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 04:06:54 am »
Every creature spell with Hydra in the title, or Hellion.   :P

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 05:53:43 am »
Wildfire Eternal has already been mentioned, but... Jace's Mindseeker.  I really wanted to put it to work, but most of my meta has just not used instants or sorceries overly much.  Thinking of puttibg it with a Muldrotha build, we will see.

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 03:39:20 pm »
Been gone a while dealing with real life issues, but I've been thinking about a lot of topics whilst away. This one I came up with today actually while making cuts to put some newer cards into some of my EDH decks..

What's the one card that you like that never seems to make the cut and get into your decks?

For me it would be Moonlight Bargain. I really like the card BUT it never makes the final cut. I had it in my Karador deck, but it ended up replaced (can't remember by what). I had it in the final three cuts for my Sidisi self mill deck when I was rebuilding it but it missed the final cut for another sac outlet. I actually ran it in my Yahenni deck for a few months but it ended up cut today to test-play Josu Vess.

Welcome back Wwolfe.  :)

I'd have to say Goldnight Castigator. I really wanted her to work in Shadows over Innistrad, you know, without taking double damage.  :P :P

MonteTribal

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 04:29:35 pm »
Shoving Match

It's not even that good, but I like the idea of a field of monsters just knocking each other over non-lethally. Tap your cat token to tap their Demon, which responds by knocking over your tree, that falls on their solder..

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 07:38:31 pm »
Thanks Mnemosyne!

Every creature spell with Hydra in the title, or Hellion.   :P

Yea, I'm guilty of trying to shove Hydra's into decks as well. Primordial Hydra & Kalonian Hydra are both among my favorite creatures ever and I just can't help myself.
This space for rent.

CMiller

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2018, 08:08:48 pm »
Definitely Szadek.

ladof

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 01:38:59 am »
Bearer of the Heavens

Big, dumb and devastating if removed. I loved it, but it never loved me.
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

TheWakaEmu117

• #BringBackStorm
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2018, 08:34:36 pm »
murder is one that never makes my cut its great for casual play but being double black makes it kinda hard and 3 mana in standard can be a lot, although instant speed makes it far more playable. also I always want to jam like mana flare, or heartbeat of spring into my decks but usually giving my opponents a bunch of mana is never worth it.

I can't even read

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2018, 09:47:47 pm »
I feel the same way about Concordant Crossroads. It's a great haste enabler...but it's also a great haste enabler for your opponents.
This space for rent.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2018, 10:15:19 pm »
Just make sure you run more mana dorks ;D
Nils is the God I worship

LB

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2018, 11:40:39 pm »
Endless Horizons - had moderate success comboing with Charbelcher. I will make it work.

Honorable Mention: Guttersnipe - used a lot, just not effectively.