deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Casual] Mono White Allies  (Read 527 times)

Felicosantos

[Casual] Mono White Allies
« on: August 02, 2018, 01:35:34 pm »
play allies - profit

Maybe you guys know of some good cards I could use in this kind of deck.

Mono White Allies

hotrodscott

• Decks
Re: [Casual] Mono White Allies
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 06:54:47 pm »
Looks fun!

I've played with a bunch of different Ally decks.  I've found that you need to keep them really fast so you may want to look at curving it down some and have more 1-2 drops than 3-4-5 drops.  (basically you might have too many finishers and not enough things to get you to where you can actually use them.  A big ally doesn't do you any good if you've lost all of your little guys and are trying to not die by turn 4-5 when you drop the biggie.   

You have a ton of creatures, maybe curve it down by yanking a few expensive CMC creatures and adding support cards? (removal/control/ramp/protection, etc.)   I tried to run retreat to emeria in my allies decks and very seldom found that it provided value because the game had already been decided pretty much by the time it came online, but it looked like it had potential.  Panharmonicon seemed cool too, but again, it comes in late.  (Either I'd be winning handily, or my board is taking a beating and top decking it was bad and chances were poor of me pulling it out.)   Captains claws were cool because they'd fire the Ally triggers every time you attack. (I never run more than a couple of copies.)  Oath of Gideon was good for ETB triggers. (or Gideon, ally of zendikar himself, now that the price has come way down since he rotated out of Standard)

Ally encampment is cool.  It's great if you're multicolored, because it can help with mana fixing, but still had value in mono white because you can sac it to return a creature to your hand to dodge removal or retrigger your ETB ally triggers.   (I ran a couple of copies of cloudshift for the same reason.)

Mine usually had an equipment slant as there are lots of good white ally/equipment synergies, but you could go with the standard white control bits to help you stabilize until you get your bigger guys online. Path to exile, etc

Westvale abbey is a great 1-of. You can sac your army to get Ormendahl out, then bring them all back with return to the ranks

I think you'll find that Hada and Ondu cleric will do most of your work, so I'd go 4 of on Ondu, and maybe brave the elements to protect them and/or prevent your herd from being blocked?

Have fun with it!

Felicosantos

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 10:04:05 pm »
Wow, what a massive reply!!

I have been thinking exactly that when I built the deck, that it primarily seems very fast and taking in Munda's Vanguard and Hero of Goma Fada seemed rather unintuitive.
At first I wanted to take in some Equiment synergy through Stone Haven Outfitter but I had no clue what equipments to take since I never played a deck with equipments in it.
Aside from Captain's Claws do you have any other suggestions for equipments that would fit the deck?

Cloudshift and Brave the Elements seem like really good and fun cards in this deck and I will definitely put some copies in the deck.

Thanks so much for the help, really appreciate it!

Felicosantos

hotrodscott

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 12:46:54 am »
Happy to help! I love the underdogs allies, so want to help others explore them if I can.  :D  Bone saw and stoneforge masterwork were popular when allies were in standard, but I'm sure for casual, there are some better ones out there.  I haven't played them much outside of that.   I'd have to look. bonesplitter? I'm sure there are other decks here or google for that one.  The other equipment played then really wasn't very good, but a lot of the ally cards have abilities that boosted equipped creatures, so you wanted 1 and zero cost equipment to let them get the synergy from that. You weren't trying to be like a bogle/enchantment deck where the things you attach make 1 creature a giant beater.

Sigarda's aid is a great way to cheat them out.    It'll be fun as-is to play without going all-in on the equipment strategy. So try it out and see if you like it first. 

Allies can get pretty broken if you go multi color.  If you go red, you get reckless bushwhacker (one of my all time favorite cards) and akoum battlesinger for team pumping. If you go black, you get zulaport cutthroat, drana, liberator of malakir, drana's emissary (great life gain synergy with ondu and cutthroat) and bojuka brigand. Green has ramp and several big threats (I didn't play them at the time, since they were relatively expensive when they were standard legal)  It might not have been the most consistent (b/c I'm too cheap for an expensive mana base)  but my Mardu one (B/R/W) was the most fun and competitive.   

Lot's of choices there! :D   I tried for a long time to make one that was well-rounded and competitive in Modern like elves or goblins, but they just were never quite as good. (I played 4-5 different decks dozens of times each on MTGO)   They were pretty consistent, explosive, easy to learn and play, tons of fun and good enough to really win lots of games, but probably aren't going to take down a tournament anywhere.  I play 8 whack goblins and have played against a lot of elves, and both of those can win consistently on turn 4 (maybe sooner with the right draw) as to where allies are going to drag it out a turn or two longer and in Modern, most decks can stabilize or beat you by then (or they'll have mana to counter/wipe/remove everything you do.) 

My suggestion to go multicolor isn't to say you should do that vs. your white deck.   Just letting you know the others exist.  Your white deck has several things going on... guys that grow, guys that gain you life, guys that pump the team, etc.  If you like any of those in particular, pretty much each color has an ally that does that one thing, so if you want more of a particular synergy, you can really focus your deck on that play mechanic by adding more colors and focusing your strategy.     

They really are an under-rated tribe and you'll have a lot of fun with it though!   

Felicosantos

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 01:20:13 am »
Woa man, thanks a again for the massive reply. I love your hype for allies. :D

I think im gonna try the mono white deck first but also get some cards for a boros version with some equipment synergy.

Really looking forward to playing the deck right now.

bigdogdch

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 01:41:41 am »
Join the ranks. Instant for 2 allies. Works great with the Evangel to give protection
Also glaring spotlight. Takes away hexproof from opponents creatures and You can sack it to give your guys hexproof and unblockable
Gideon, Ally of Zendikar too

bigdogdch

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 03:09:13 am »
If you want your allies to hit the board quickly then you got to go green
Harabaz Druid and Descendants Path are great for ramping out allies
Turntimber Ranger + Arcane Adaptation (or Artificial Evolution) = infinite allies

hotrodscott

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 08:24:10 pm »
Dangit, now you guys have me wanting to build a green one.  Oran-rief survivalist, sylvan advocate, etc. :D

Felicosantos

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2018, 10:44:06 pm »
I have been playtesting a R/W Deck using Stone Haven Outfitter, Weapons Trainer, Stoneforge Masterwork, Bone Saw and Captain's Claws against a friend today.

And I have to say, I have never enjoyed myself that much playing magic before.( Lantern Scout is a beast)

Big thanks to you guys and your suggestions.
I will probably still try a mono white´version without the equipments once i get all the cards but for now this deck is already amazing. :D

hotrodscott

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2018, 02:56:11 am »
sweet!  I played a version of that one when it was in standard.  https://deckstats.net/decks/56090/632173-budget-w-r-equipment-allies-/en
It didn't beat too many tier 1 decks at the time, but sure was fun!

ddevil_7

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2018, 06:29:31 am »
I love Allies. My B/W ally deck was one of my favorites. Gideon, Ally of Zendikar. With all the life gain you might want to consider Aetherflux Reservoir for alternate win condition.

Ondu Cleric, Lantern Scout, and Hada Freeblade FTW!

... Captain's Claws