deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [EDH / Commander] My version of competitive Yennett, Cryptic Sovereign  (Read 267 times)

NmEtwo

• Decks
My version of competitive Yennett, Cryptic Sovereign

Welcome to my iteration on my new favorite commander, Yennett. I would for sure recommend trying out this new general considering how versatile it feels. The odd restriction is super fun to build around and trying to make all your threats relevant from the cast off the top and the lingering effect after the swing. This mechanic gives you a whole new perspective on some of the coolest bombs in commander (in my opinion). Some of the strengths this deck has is consistency once you have learned what to tutor for and when, but can durdle and fizzle out without practice. I would not say this version of the deck is very beginner friendly considering the decent skill gap between knowing which cards to tutor, what to imprint under chrome and isochron, and when to pull the trigger on the win. I would say that if you enjoy being a fairly reactive player and then out of nowhere becoming the aggressor. there is a few cool combos of cards that normally seem fairly innocent, an easy example of this is liliana and aminatou paired with your commander. this combo allows you to put nexus of fate on top with lily - swing with yennett - cast nexus - plus aminatou. On your next turn you repeat the process but instead of using the plus on aminatou, you instead blink lily to rest the counters and continue with infinite turns. the reasoning behind slightly odd cards would be commanders sphere and mind stone. the reason these are in are to always have an on demand card draw to allow you to go infinite with just having lily. this process is the same as above you just have to tutor aminatou on top first, draw, flicker lily, nexus, swing, and start over from there. i would love some more suggestions on how to make this as strong as possible since I've started getting more into the competitive side of commander with my playgroup. Let me know what you guys think about this version and what you would change. have a good one guy and good luck with the games!

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Re: [EDH / Commander] My version of competitive Yennett, Cryptic Sovereign
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 01:53:14 pm »
Welcome to competitive Commander. You've definitely got the basics figured out; a strong land-base, good amounts of mana ramp and card advantage, and a decent removal package.

With Isochron Scepter, many decks will imprint Dramatic Reversal. This way, so long as your mana rocks tap for 3 or more mana, you can get infinite mana. Just something to consider.

The combo you have seems a little difficult to pull off, because it requires three specific cards. If you add some redundancy, it will improve the odds of this combo coming out. Brago, King Eternal can replace Aminatou, for example. And correct me if I'm wrong, but your current combo doesn't give infinite turns. Because you need to use Aminatou's minus ability each turn, she will eventually run out of loyalty counters.

You also might want to add another combo as a backup. For a simple example, Thopter Assembly and Time Sieve makes infinite turns. Or Paradox Engine with Isochron Scepter Imprinted with Cyclonic Rift or Counterspell can lock the game.

Lastly, I'm a little confused about a few card choices. Whispersilk Cloak, Rogue's Passage, and Riverwise Augur. I'm curious why they are in there.

NmEtwo

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 02:08:18 pm »
hey man, thanks for the feedback!
So to go over what you said, first of all completely forgot that dramatic reversal even existed for some reason, so definitely adding that in.

As for the combo, brago was a thought considering the redundancy just fiddling around with it at the moment. also with the aminatou it does go infinite as you can minus liliana twice in order to take two turns, meanwhile cycling the plus and minus abilities on aminatou.

For adding more combos, my playgroup tries not to have more than two and I feel that isochron scepter is a bit nicer than thopter and time sieve.

Finally for whispersilk, it lets me have a bit more protection since my playgroup has a few control players as well as some aggro players, so that and the passage give me even more evasion and safety for yennett. riverwise augur is just getting tested a bit as some more redundancy for another brainstorm effect if things go poorly.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 04:35:43 pm »
Doomsday or Stax are definitely the two routes I'd consider viable for Yennet. I'll type up some generic lists after I work out, as examples.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 04:58:20 pm by Soren841 »
Nils is the God I worship

Soren841

• Decks
Nils is the God I worship