deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: What will control look like after rotation? Thoughts?  (Read 252 times)

bradcoish23

• Decks
What will control look like after rotation? Thoughts?
« on: September 08, 2018, 02:12:33 pm »
I personally thought control looked like the leader right now to be the best deck after rotation. It keeps the best pieces and has replacements for those it loses. But is the mana base going to hold it back?

Control's mana base looks like it is going to be awful. It will have Glacial Fortress, Field of Ruin, and a whole lot of basics available to it (in Azorius). So it would be running somewhere in the range of 20 basic lands, not going to happen.

So my next thought was "well, it will just be a three color control deck". Problem there is the only three color combination with both white and blue would be Jeskai and the common color to each shock land available is red. As of today, you would not want red as your dominant color in control. White needs to be dominant, you want to play some combination of Settle the Wreckage and Cleansing Nova. If you don't play blue as a dominant color you lose Sinister Sabotage (a lose, but manageable).

I have seen it suggested on the web that maybe control will not have white and blue, that you go a different direction. In my opinion, and it seems like many others as well, the whole point of playing control is to play Teferi. It is the most powerful card control has to offer by a large margain.

I am just wondering if control gets put on the shelf as a top tier deck until Ravnica Allegiance fixes the mana base? Or am I being crazy and it will be a Jeskai build that goes a little lighter on the blue?

Thoughts?

RobitussinMD

• Decks
Re: What will control look like after rotation? Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 02:27:26 am »
So Esper controls mana base is getting nerfed hard until the next set. All we will have in GNR is Watery Grave, Drowned Catacomb, Glacial Fortress, and Isolated Chapel. The rest will have to be Gates or Basics. I personally will probably be switching to Izzet control because of cards like Ionize and Goblin Electromancer. Grixis Control should be decent also. I already started theory crafting a deck.

Deck: Grixis Control

I will probably build something similar to this when GNR drops. Ritual of Soot will definitely be in the sideboard.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 08:50:19 pm »
Like Robitussin, I'll likely be playing Izzet control after rotation. Granted it's my return to Standard after a 4 year absence but that's what looks the most promising for control to me.
This space for rent.

burn your face

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 09:15:58 pm »
What about jeskai. Teferi is sooooooooooooooooooo frickin' busted. We have sacred foundry for the manabase to.