deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Rackless MBC?  (Read 251 times)

IVIythoclast

• Decks
Rackless MBC?
« on: September 17, 2018, 01:09:25 pm »
I was doing a bit of research into mono-black decks in modern and really only came across 8Rack, which I knew of.

I wanted to find other mono-black decks that have gotten results in the Modern format. I came across Mono-black aggro running creatures Bloodghast and Phryxian Obliterator, which I see played a bit online. I found mono-black versions of Eldrazi Tron but didn't find any mono-black versions of any other common archetypes. Zombies, Vampires & Rogues are plausible tribes but if they were seeing results before I haven't seen them come up in any modern tournaments.

Finally, this brings us to to the classic, rackless mono-black control deck, also known as mono-black infect.
Here is a variation done by Nawtdrye
https://deckstats.net/decks/57884/416159-mono-black-infect/en
Why does this deck not work in the current meta, what do you think is holding it back from seeing results in tournaments and how would you improve the deck for the modern format?

hotrodscott

• Decks
Re: Rackless MBC?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 05:27:33 pm »
Although this is a couple of years old and the meta has shifted a bit, you can see a similar deck in action and what its strengths and weaknesses are here:  https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-68-26-tix-modern-mono-black-infect

Net:net, it did ok.   I built it on MTGO and played a few games with it.   It was different and fun! It's been a while, so I don't recall the specifics.

Another good black archetype (which might have been what you saw using phyrexian obliterator) is mono black devotion.  You try to get a ton of permanents on the board with black mana symbols and chip away at them and then turn 5-6 or so, drop a gray merchant of asphodel to wipe out their remaining life.   It has the usual black tricks of hand disruption, removal and card draw.