deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Deckstats Competition - Make a [GOR] Deck!  (Read 1458 times)

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
Deckstats Competition - Make a [GOR] Deck!
« on: September 21, 2018, 05:55:52 pm »
Competition time, Deckstats Members!

I want you, the community, to design a Standard deck, based on this card from - Guilds of Ravnica.

I will grade using the following criteria:

Creativity - Something that shows interesting synergy.
Uniqueness - Something that I haven't seen before - Something that isn't a net deck.
Effectiveness - Something that I can see winning an FNM or Standard Tournament with your card selection.

I will award you with the following Karma: (Thanks to Nils)

1st - 10
2nd - 5
3rd - 1

Post your decks below, the competition will finish fourteen days from today -
Friday the 5th of October @6PM GMT(In time for pre-release) - This deadline is final, unless I deem otherwise, so do not ask.

#NOTE

A deck that is similar to a deck already posted on this thread, will be overlooked by me, in favour of the first to be posted.
You may use any card that is in Standard after Guilds of Ravnica is released so (Ixalan/Dominaria/M19).
There is no colour restriction, so if you wanted, you can make the deck 5 colours.
Also, you don't need to make a 15 card sideboard, but it will improve your chances of winning. (So you might want to.)

Any other questions, please Private Message me - Rather than posting questions in this thread.

Happy building! - Mnemosyne  :)

Firegriff

• Decks

MonteTribal

• Decks
Re: Deckstats Competition - Make a [GOR] Deck!
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 05:53:04 pm »
Question: GRN only, or GRN Standard (GRN, Ixalan block, DOM, C19)? Edit: Thanks Mnemosyne. Full GRN Standard, got it.

My submission:

Revision 5

Legion's Landing has the obvious synergy, and to a lesser extent so does Leonin Vanguard - they both have Battalion! To encourage battalion triggers, I went with a weenie style approach.

I limited myself to only 15 1-drop creatures: too many feels bad and you run out of gas REAL quick. Even with Mentor of the Meek and Militia Bugler.

Red gives reach and removal in Lightning Strike, but also  easy Battalion in Heroic Reinforcements, which doubles as a good wide finisher when you are making tokens.

Mentor of the Meek turns Haazda Marshal into a draw engine of sorts.

Haazda Marshal also pumps out Soldier tokens. And because there are plenty of other good soldiers, Radiant Destiny gets a one-of as a good final bomb. It also works well with Knights or Humans if soldiers are not doing to well.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 10:48:45 pm by MonteTribal »

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 06:33:32 pm »

#NOTE

A deck that is similar to a deck already posted on this thread, will be overlooked by me, in favour of the first to be posted.
You may use any card that is in Standard after Guilds of Ravnica is released so (Ixalan/Dominaria/M19).
There is no colour restriction, so if you wanted, you can make the deck 5 colours.
Also, you don't need to make a 15 card sideboard, but it will improve your chances of winning. (So you might want to.)

Any other questions, please Private Message me - Rather than posting questions in this thread.

If I was unclear then I meant you may create a deck using the Ixalan, Rivals, Dominaria and M19 sets.
I also said for you to PM me instead of posting here. This is only for deck lists.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 08:05:09 pm »
https://deckstats.net/decks/82803/1095845-convoking-the-greatwurm/en

I have no experience with Standard, no intention to make this deck in real life, and I don't really care about winning Karma or not. I didn't initially plan on joining this competition, but when I saw Haazada Marshal, I thought "White weenies!" like a giddy child who had too much sugar. I then remembered that Convoke was making a comeback. My brain just kinda ran with it, and this is the result after two hours of browsing Gatherer.

Honestly, I need a better hobby.

The goal of this deck is to attack with small creatures early (Emmara, Soul of the Accord, Haazda Marshal, Skymarcher Aspirant) and then move into bigger threats for the mid-game (Shanna, Sisay's Legacy, Leonin Warleader). The endgame is something big like Carnage Tyrant, Ghalta, Primal Hunger, or Impervious Greatwurm. Those last two are easy enough to get out, because all the tokens and small creatures can help cast them. And this really is the focus of the deck; small creatures, build towards big things. Make it the new tagline of the Conclave. Lots of small creatures make Shanna, Sisay's Legacy bigger. Lots of small creatures power up Might of the Masses. Lots of small creatures make... more small creatures (March of the Multitudes)!

I've tested this deck out, and it works well. The games do tend to go exactly as described above. The downside is that it's not a very interactive deck, and has a very "tap-out" feel to it. I have no idea how it would do against control decks.

My sideboard is an absolute mess, because I have no idea what decks I should expect to go against. I'm assuming graveyard-decks exist in Standard, and many decks use artifacts and enchantments... right?

theClownsChapter

• Decks
My favorite things about Magic:
1. Whenever you cast...
2. Deals damage divided as you coose...

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 12:42:08 am »
https://deckstats.net/decks/52552/1096079-indestructible-boros-beatdown

To Mainstay the board by going not fully wide while protecting your creatures.

Turn 1 You can play either Haazda Marshal or Dauntless Bodyguard
Turn 2 Has loads of options.. Cavalry Drillmaster will give either of those +2 and first strike swinging for either 3 or 4. Put pressure on your opponent with a flyer in sky terror or ground and pound with swiftblade vindicator.
Turn 3 keeping on curve you now bring in Tajic, Legion's Edge or Legion warboss. Warboss can possibly help trigger Haazda Marshal all the while dauntless bodyguard is protecting Haazda Marshal if you play dauntless bodyguard on turn 2.
Turn 4 also keeping on curve you can then use Aurelia, Exemplar of Justice and give a creature vigilance or trample.
You also have in legion warboss and Aurelia, Exemplar of Justice mentor triggers. You can also use here removal spells or make a stand to give all your creatures indestructible.
Then finish off with another indestructible with Lena, Selfless Champion.
Using 1 Resurgence to finish of your opponent. If need be you can  bring in the other 2 Response // Resurgence cause of it's versatility along with shivan fire's versatility.

Use Guildmages' Forum to get a +1 +1 counter on your multicolored creatures. Convoke not working out great with conclave tribunal then bring in Ixalan's Binding. Then if you need it and it is a big sweeper in the sideboard you can bring in and use is Urza's Ruinous Blast.

Just loads of protection for your creatures in dauntless bodyguard, make a standLena, Selfless Champion, and Tajic, Legion's Edge all the while beating down your opponent
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

DelverMage

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2018, 01:49:07 pm »
https://deckstats.net/decks/35805/1096542-haazda-s-elite-soldiery?lng=en

Haazda's Elite Soldiery is a true weenie deck in the traditional sense.  What makes this version different, is instead of cheap enchantments to boost up individual creatures, it does so with lord effects and +1/+1 counters.  This deck has an abundance of creatures that are built on a curve, and designed to enhance each other when they come on the battlefield.

Haazda Marshal will continuously add new soldiers to the game.
Pegasus Courser gives key players flying, but prefers taking Haazda across the battlefield, keeping him safe for multiple rounds of token generation.
Militia Bugler can bring bring out all but 4 of the creatures in the deck.  (38% of this deck are creatures with 2 power or less.  Simple odds are when looking at 4 cards, one should be at least one should be a valid target.)
Sunhome Stalwart loves mentoring Haazda Marshal or any of his troops.
Baird, Steward of Argive is here to slow your opponent down giving you even more time to build your army. 

This deck can build either MORE soldiers and go wide, or BIG soldiers and go over.  With 7 Lord effects in the game, there is a very good chance your Elite squad will be both plentiful, and huge.
Benalish Marshal is the little blue pill.
Ajani's Pridemate, and Leonin Vanguard, are just a great combination, and can take advantage of most of the same things that Haazda can.
Lastly, Haazda has access to one of the best mentors in the Mulitverse, Ajani, Adversary of Tyrants.  Need +1 counter?  Got 'em.  Bring back Haazda or one of his buddies from the graveyard?  Easy Peasy.

What does Haazda's Elite Soldiery keep handy in their arsenal?
Sweapers, Exilers, Lord Effects, and a couple of summoning spells.

Cleansing Nova, sweeps creatures or artifacts and enchantments.  That second option helps out a lot more when playing Blue or White opponents, (or both.  Talking about you UW Control deck and your exile enchantment cards.....)
Ixalan's Binding removes pesky permanents, and prevents any other copies from getting into play.
Radiant Destiny, the lord effect is the key, Vigilance is frosting.  (Be careful not to sweep your own enhancements if they are keys to your victory.)
A couple of Sworn Companions to quickly generate some shock troops or a valiant defense force.

The Sideboard is very generic, and does not take in to consideration any particular Meta choice.
Ixalan's Binding and Pegasus Courser to strengthen those aspects of your current plan.  I am thinking they replace Baird and Cleansing Nova.
Settle the Wreckage, in place of Cleansing Nova if your opponent is aggro.
Vanquisher's Banner if you need even more lord action.
Dawn of Hope is there for me to try, and see what I think of the card.
Ashes of the Abhorrent, Sorcerous Spyglass, and Silent Gravestone are here for various combo and graveyard tricks that may be about.

After running a small sample of simulation games against each of the other decks submitted in this competition, from a competitive standpoint, I would happily run this deck through this gauntlet, were it to be an actual event.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 10:56:19 am by DelverMage »

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2018, 04:05:13 pm »
So far looking great guys! Keep them coming!  :D

MisterDalek

• Waiting for gary in standard
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2018, 07:12:48 pm »
I play black decks.

That's about it.

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2018, 09:11:13 pm »
Okay, guys! Apologies for this taking so long and again, thanks for your patience! The time has come to announce the winners, in descending order.  :)

Delver Mage
Haazda's Elite Soldiers - 3rd Place

Another great deck Delver Mage. I like that this is built to be efficient, yet still retains some creative quality.
To that end, I like that you've included Baird, Steward of Argive, as it adds synergy to your deck.
You are focusing purely on a single strategy and that is what makes this deck a Winnie white.
The inclusion of Militia Bugler, Leonin Vanguard and Sunhome Stalwart are a testament to this.
The only card I was unsure of is Pegasus Courser, whilst the decision for its addition seems sound, it is also a 3 drop.
Perhaps something a little cheaper, or a sorcery that will protect all your creatures would be a better choice? (Make a Stand)
Well done!  :)

Robort
Indestructible Boros Beatdown - 2nd Place

This deck is very well constructed! It balances both white and red choices, wisely.
It's fast and on curve. It has pump sells, and a little removal, but not too much to make it midrange.
You don't use more than 2 copies of legendary spells which I think is a good choice.
I think Mentor makes this deck very good. I like that you've added Swiftblade Vindicator, which is overlooked.
With Tajic, Legion's Edge it is better. It could be an idea to put in Path of Mettle with would work well with Swiftblade, especially turn 2.
I'm unsure about Lena, Selfless Champion and Sky Terror, but you actually used Sky Terror and it isn't a bad card!

Well done Rob, a great deck!  :D

TheClownsChapter
Haazda Azorius Copy - 1st Place

I really like this deck; using Azorius colours wasn't something I expected to see.
The deck is well balanced, the mana curve is on point, and the mana source is also.
I like that you've chosen cards from outside Ravnica that can copy Haazda Marshal allowing you to make tokens!
Shalai, Voice of Plenty is a great choice, especially with Settle the Wreckage in the format.
It also prevents your creatures with auras from being targeted making it easier to avoid 2 for 1 removal.
You might consider putting in the main-board some non-creature or general counterspells, the only thing I would suggest.
Otherwise, congrats on the first place finish! Especially for someone new to these competitions!  ;D

Morganator 2.0
Convoking the Greatwurm (honourable mention)

For someone who gave an exposition of how much they dislike the format, they know how to make a standard deck and sideboard.
I find the idea of Impervious Greatwurm both a unique and creative idea.
Your choices, however, are very akin to a commander player. They aren't bad choices, however, Standard is a faster format, not as fast as Modern but still fast.
Therefore a strategy that chooses 1-2 copies of a single card is less effective than say 3-4 copies.
Your overall decisions place your deck on a precarious balance.
I think having more token generators to be better than say having Ancient Animus (You have 6/29 legendary creatures)
Having a spell that gives your 1/1s protection from sweepers might be an idea, it would make casting your Greatwurm achievable.
Shalai, Voice of Plenty is also worth considering, although not a weenie does protect you from being targeted.

MisterDalek
Boros Tokens

I like this deck, and whilst it wasn't enough to replace Robort's version of Boros, I still think it is well made, with good choices.
If I was judging based on Sideboard choices, the one you've made would give you 1st place.
For token generation it is in the right direction and well balanced.
Tilonalli is a little too vulnerable in my opinion, that is not to say it couldn't work, and Lena, Selfless Champion seems a little too expensive.
You might be better off focusing on playing the short game, instead of trying to be too versatile.
I think your mana base could use up to 24 lands, you could be safe on 22, but with x4 Memorial to Glory, you might consider it?
Otherwise, I do still really like the deck! Well done! I hope to see more entries from you in the future!

MonteTribal
Winnie White

Another solid deck!
Your creatures have great synergy, I would say that with Mentor of the Meek, it is a double-edged blade in your deck,
when it comes to cards like Benalish Marshal and Radiant Destiny as they are static abilities
the 1/1s would enter the battlefield as 3/3s (If used together)
Which makes Mentor of the Meek less useful, unless balanced correctly. (You have Militia Bugler which is just as effective)
I'd say for the sake of your strategy, test it, but be ready to cut it to make your deck more efficient.
I would also say that you have a balance of Knights and Soldiers, making the synergy with History of Benalia/ Radiant Destiny questionable.
Not to say that it isn't a good choice, you might reconsider the choice, moving forward.
I'm a little surprised by the inclusion of Lightning Strike and Heroic Reinforcements.
Going into the late game, you might not have the creatures to create an opening to use Heroic Reinforcements effectively.
I can see why you might use Lightning Strike, in that case switching to Boros might have been more effective?

Firegriff
Flight of Serra's Angels

I like that you're trying to build within a single set, being guilds, whilst it might be easier;
you are severely limiting your mainboard options by not considering other cards from standard sets.
You already have considered this in your sideboard, but not your maindeck?
You could benefit from cards like Legion's Landing - which works with Dawn of Hope and adds towards convoke.
You might not need Selesnya Locket in that case, as you already have 24 lands and your mana curve isn't high.
I like your creature choices, and they work well with Divine Visitation, which is a unique strategy!
You might consider removing Roc Charger and Trostani Discordant (I still like the choice) and replacing them with Shalai, Voice of Plenty or Resplendent Angel.
Your sideboard choices are solid, they balance the removal you lack in your mainboard.
I'd suggest moving out Take Heart maybe replacing it with something else, like Cleansing Nova.
Or a card that will protect your tokens, by giving them indestructible?
You are definitely improving Firegriff and it is great to see! Keep it up!  ;)

Congratulations to everyone, honestly this is always a tough decision. I try to be as even-handed as possible.
I'll award your Karma, soon!
Do not be disheartened if you have not won this time, every time a member submits another deck, I can see the improvement.
I'll be creating a Modern competition next, so stay tuned!  8)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 09:24:13 pm by Mnemosyne »

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2018, 09:01:01 am »
I'll leave this thread open for a couple of days before locking it.  :)

DelverMage

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2018, 10:59:49 am »
I have to say that Haazda Marshal was not easy to build around.  It was hard to keep things in focus on that card, and even my final product could work just fine without him.  But then again, any good deck should have other ways to win when key cards don't  show up.

I am looking forward to the next challenge.

MonteTribal

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2018, 04:29:31 pm »
Congrats to everyone. This was a fun challenge. I don't usually dip my feet into Standard all that often, so this was a fun change. Looking forward to the next challenge!

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2018, 07:27:11 pm »
Thanks.  Made a couple of changes to the design.  When I first made the deck, I hadn't made the sideboard yet, but thought it was just Guilds.  Added the sideboard in with knowledge, but I did not want to modify the original at the time once it was declared the other sets were allowed.  But always looking to get better!