deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Wild, Wacky, and Fun Games  (Read 315 times)

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Wild, Wacky, and Fun Games
« on: October 11, 2018, 01:39:49 pm »
As far as I can tell, there hasn't been a thread to discuss this yet.

Magic games can get pretty hectic (especially Commander games). I want to hear your stories about the crazy things that have happened in your games. Whether it was the Unstable draft where Summon the Pack gave you Charmbreaker Devils (with no other instants/sorceries in grave), the Vaevictis Asmadi, the Dire that gave Phage the Untouchable off the top, or that time Possibility Storm gave you Eidolon of Rhetoric.

I'll start. I was in a 4-player competitive commander game. I was playing Krenko, Mob Boss, going up against Jeleva, Nephalia's Scourge, Brago, King Eternal, and Leovold, Emissary of Trest (this was before he got banned). The game didn't start out great. Jeleva accidentally exiled all her win conditions, Krenko was brought out with fast-mana (Brightstone Ritual) and then shot down, leaving me with 3 lands and no card draw, Leovold got Nevermore from Brago, and then Leovold retaliated by sticking Imprisoned in the Moon on Brago. So early on, we're all out of action.

That's when Jeleva decides that the only way to win now, was by milling everyone to death. I though it was crazy, and that she was just making a joke. Nope. As it turns out, Jeleva, Brago, and Leovold have enough wheel effects to make it work. The rest of the game was chaotic. Jelava was cast and re-cast over and over, Leovold and Brago kept casting draw spells to try to find a way out of this mess, and I kept trying to build my board state (unsuccessfully). Whenever someone would pull ahead, the other players had enough removal/boardwipes to keep them down. And sure enough, Jeleva succeeded in her goal.

Everyone got decked... except for me. While the other decks had card draw, which brought them closer to the bottom of their libraries, I had nothing, so I was the only person left with cards in my library, and won by default.

Jeleva player: "Congratulations Morganator 2.0, you win."
Me: "But I didn't do anything! I just sat back and watched."

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Re: Wild, Wacky, and Fun Games
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 02:04:01 pm »
This happened a while back but it's still one of my favorite plays ever....

I have a friend that runs a infect deck, so I included Spiteful Shadows just to be able to convince him not to swing or block with his Blightsteel Colossus.

Really awesome the first time he swung out with it and I flashed out my own Blightsteel to block his (thanks to Savage Summoning). His Blightsteel died but mine survived because of the +1/+1 counter from Savage Summoning, but the reflected damage took him out of the game. I sat there unscathed smiling while he looked at me like "wait, what just happened". Especially when I paid the BB to sac Vampire Hexmage and remove the -1/-1 counters from my Blightsteel during my upkeep, played Rogue's Passage as my land for turn, and won with my Blightsteel dealing the 11 poison counters to the other remaining player.

Never again will I luck into things playing out just how perfectly they did that first time with it.
This space for rent.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 04:08:31 pm »
You reminded me about one of my friends in a multiplayer commander game.

He was playing Oona, Queen of the Fae, and won the roll to go first. He reaction to his opening hand was "Uhhh...uhh... Oh!". His turn went like this:

Swamp, Dark Ritual, Sol Ring, Isochron Scepter imprinting Dramatic Reversal, Chrome Mox imprinting Lim-Dûl's Vault. With Chrome Mox, Sol Ring, and Isochron Scepter, he was able to generate infinite colored mana, then cast Oona, and mill all his opponents.

Turn 1.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 08:40:34 pm by Morganator 2.0 »

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 07:25:41 pm »
Other night playing my Sidisi, Brood Tyrant deck...

Parallel Lives & Doubling Season both out with Sidisi on turn 5 (opening hand was 3 lands, Sol Ring, Chromatic Lantern, Parallel Lives, & Doubling Season). Drew into Mesmeric Orb on turn 3. On turn 6 I had around 30 tokens with Undead Warchief giving them +2/+1...then an opponent cast Cyclonic Rift overloaded. After that it was pretty much a game of Archenemy with the other 3 players teaming up on me until they got me out though I did take one of them with me and took another down to 11 life before I went out.

I didn't win but the explosive start was the most fun I've had playing MTG recently.
This space for rent.

nickelphoenix

• Casual EDH player studying the ways of Witch-Maw.
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 01:19:07 pm »
This is kind of a funny story of un-believable luck. True story though.

There was 3 of us in a game that turned into a fairly long war of attrition, I was playing an Oloro deck, my wife was playing her flagship Krufix deck, and our friend was playing his Raashmi deck. His Raashmi usually wins pretty quickly but got set back immensely from an early game board wipe.

I had drawn into Avacyn, Angel of hope as a win-con in the early game and was holding out till I could find or tutor lightning greaves/hexproof tool for her. So here is how it went.

At some point in the mid game, my wife drops Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur When she does, by this point I had to keep a poker face because at this point I was holding on to to an Utter End, and Merciless Eviction.

Raashmi deck's turn came immediately before mine. No answers loses his whole hand. But, Something happens on his turn that makes me draw a card. (I can't remember what it was) So i literally finally draw Swiftfoot boots. Once again POKER FACE.

My turn rolls around I casually go through all the motions still keeping an ice cold poker face. Drop Utter End targeting gin-jiataxis. My wife nopes it with a counter spell. So I smile and laugh knowing I was probably going to finally sneak in a win against her krufix deck which doesn't happen often. I figured she was holding on to a nope, so i went utter end first to draw it out. I wanted to Drop Merciless Eviction selecting all creatures. and have only Avacyn on the board with swiftfoot boots. So I drop the Eviction, my wife gives me that coy smile and proceeds to produce a second nope spell.

I proceed to losing Both Avacyn and the boots.

Rage Quit and Table Flip much?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 01:23:11 pm by nickelphoenix »