deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Auteur Sujet: X-costed cards and damage  (Lu 404 fois)

theinfamoose327

• Decks
X-costed cards and damage
« le: Octobre 11, 2018, 11:26:06 pm »
My friends and I were discussing this the other day, and I couldn't really find any concrete answers, so I thought I'd turn here. If I were to return, say Burn from within from my graveyard to my hand using Volcanic Vision, what would happen? I thought that VV would deal damage equal to what I paid on bfw (for example, I paid 4 four the X cost, so it would deal 5). My friend contested it would only deal 1. What is the correct answer? thanks for your help.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Re: X-costed cards and damage
« Réponse #1 le: Octobre 11, 2018, 11:34:38 pm »
It would only deal 1 damage. Burn From Within's CMC is 1 as X is considered a variable casting cost and has no value towards CMC. This is true for all spells that contain X in their casting cost.
This space for rent.

DelverMage

• Decks
Re: X-costed cards and damage
« Réponse #2 le: Octobre 11, 2018, 11:46:37 pm »
I second WWolfes answer. 

The value of X, when it comes to CMC is 0, when it is not on the stack.

This is a copy of the official rule in the comprehensive rules document, Guilds of Ravnica edition.

202.3e When calculating the converted mana cost of an object with an {X} in its mana cost, X is treated as 0 while the object is not on the stack, and X is treated as the number chosen for it while the object is on the stack.