deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Poll

Messing with a mana base- cool or foul?

Cool
13 (68.4%)
Foul
6 (31.6%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Messing with a mana base- cool or foul?  (Read 2007 times)

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
Re: Messing with a mana base- cool or foul?
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2020, 04:02:14 pm »
I come from a mindset of learning from your opponent and being able to play your deck so that you can learn where to tweak and improve the deck and to "out-play" the opponent.

Doesn't using Blood Moon on a 5-color deck count as out-playing them? Or using Armageddon on a deck that can't recover quickly?

Does it reduce the consistency of 3+ color decks yes it does. Is it a battle tactic that can destroy your opponents resources so that they cannot recover and do battle with you again, yes it can. But there are many different tactics that need and/or don't need to be taken when engaging in warfare. You can overwhelm the person and outmaneuver them on the battlefield through combat. You can attack their knowledge base and information networks by milling their library or discarding their hands. But burning the land that your enemy walks has repercussions outside of that one game as well. For example, if you aid another country (being a player) in combat and you feel it's necessary to destroy the opponents' lands, do you think that the enemy (your opponent) would want to play with you again if they feel like that they will always get shut down to that degree? Or if an ally sees you do this would they be alright with that knowing that one wrong move and they too can have their lands destroyed? That's kinda how i think in multi-player games like this.

But back to MTG for a moment, even if you wanna destroy lands there are still some cards that replace those non-basic lands with basics from the deck. Playing Iona, Shield of Emeria, blood moon and the sort basically equates to playing stax pieces in my opinion. Can they be fatal to some deck types yes and dangerously so. But if the opponent is prepared they can at least play through the opposition versus having their resources permanently removed from them. There's a difference from being in a foot race and you having to run through mud versus you simply not having a leg. Also if you read blood moon it only hits the "non-basic lands". Is it a bit foul yeah it kinda sucks but if you run basic lands and artifacts then you can still play through it unaffected. But if you Armageddon someone that's basically saying "if you're not playing green or turbo landfall then you're out". There is little to no room for recovery.

With all this being said i do want to make it clear that i try not to play from a cEDH level of game-play if i can help it. I understand that playing EDH casually and competitively both their own social contracts that condone certain types of behavior. Play what you want but let me play versus do what wins the fastest in the most optimal way possible are two very distinct parameters that should be acknowledged.