deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Modern] Do you even mill?  (Read 578 times)

KyleDuana

• Decks
[Modern] Do you even mill?
« on: November 05, 2018, 03:00:37 am »

Dark Messenger

• Decks
Re: [Modern] Do you even mill?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 03:27:40 pm »
This may be one of the most common archetypes, but despite that, every Mill deck is different.

I'm wondering about Etrata, the Silencer and Lazav, Dimir Mastermind. What are their roles in the deck? Or its just to add Dimir flavor?

KyleDuana

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 03:29:54 pm »
Etrata & Lazav are just some good cards I felt would be a good addition to the deck, even though they don’t mill

FSUdank

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 09:35:22 pm »
Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver might work here

KyleDuana

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 10:04:33 pm »
She would be a nice addition!

Inphyy77

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 04:22:03 am »
Assuming there's some budget constraints here, as the deck looks quite casual. With that in mind, I do have a few suggestions. First just the major deck building issues.

1) Your curve is waaaay too high. Even on the kitchen table, I rarely expect to cast cmc 5+ cards. It will give you 11 more slots to work with. Cutting your four drops increases this number to 19.
2) Too many 2-ofs. If you want a card in a focused deck like mill, you generally want 3-4 copies of it.
3) You have no way to survive incoming aggression, aside from the two copies of Fog Bank.
4) Your mana source distribution isn't bad, but there are better budget lands than Dimir Aqueduct. Choked Estuary, Dismal Backwater, Sunken Hollow, Temple of Deceit, Fetid Pools, Field of Ruin and Underground River are all under $4 a copy. Drowned Catacomb will go down when it rotates from standard next year.

As for actual budget cards to look, there is quite a few solid options:

1) Jace's Phantasm will win a good chunk of games on its own as a 5/5 flyer. It is a great blocker and threat at one mana.
2) Manic scribe is kinda like a poor man's Hedron Crab. It mills three when it comes it, blocks, and can get some extra value over the course of a game.
3) Breaking // Entering is the closest thing you have to additional copies of Glimpse the Unthinkable. Milling 8 for two is pretty solid.
4) Crypt Incursion will help you survive against creature based decks, and it a bit of gy hate main for dredge decks.
5) Fraying Sanity is a bit worse without Mesmeric Orb or other mill to use on their turn, but is a good value card.
6) Bontu's Last Reckoning/Languish are pretty much your only budget options for a black sweeper in modern. I wouldn't run more than two maindeck, and would honestly go for the reckoning just to get rid of larger critters.
7) Hedron Crab, while a lot worse without fetchlands, still gets some good value. It's a little higher in price ($5-6) but still really good in the deck.
8) In the $5-10 area is Visions of Beyond, Shelldock Isle, Fatal Push, and Archive Trap.

iCastMagicMissile

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 03:19:24 pm »
This deck does a lot of milling, and it does it well, but it's short on creatures, and those 2/2s (and even the fog walls) won't be enough of a shield. Having Lazav, Dimir Mastermind gives you all the options that are in the opponent's graveyard for possibly better creatures.
I agree with Dark Messenger, though, having Etrata, the Silencer in there seems kind of useless.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 03:21:13 pm by iCastMagicMissile »
I've just recently re-entered the MtG community. Please give me advice on my decks if you happen to look at them. :-)

KyleDuana

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 09:45:36 pm »
So I’ve made some changes based off of some of the suggestions I recieved. I realized I was lacking creatures

Revision 3

Added/removed cards:
-2 Dreamborn Muse
-1 Etrata, the Silencer
-2 Fog Bank
-2 Mind Grind
-2 Mindcrank
-2 Patient Rebuilding
-2 Ribbons of Night
+1 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
+2 Bontu's Last Reckoning
+2 Hedron Crab