deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Modern] Competitive UB Rogues  (Read 168 times)

adriantxo

• Decks
[Modern] Competitive UB Rogues
« on: December 16, 2018, 02:22:05 pm »
Recently I´ve been brewing some UB rogues and bringing them to local FNM; they worked kinda well but I think they could do better things.

https://deckstats.net/decks/46725/966717-bribones-rogues-ub-2-0/es

I wanna make they them the most "competitive" possible, but I´m stuck. Maybe with some other perspectives this funny deck can make some decent matches.

I´m going to try to explain why each card is in the deck and some doubts I have about them.

Creatures:

[ Slither Blade ] and [ Triton Shorestalker ] are the cost 1-unblockable creatures of the deck that synergizes with the prowl ability.

[ Frogtosser Banneret ] is here basically for the -1 to the Rogue spells (inludes some Tribal Sorcery and the Prowl ability too!).

[ Stinkdrinker Bandit ] is basically a 2 lord in 1 card (since we don´t block very often) that costs 2 mana (or 1 if Frogtosser is on the board).

[ Vampire Cutthroat ] is a cost 1-evasive creature, that can give us a lot of sustain if Stinkdrinker Bandit is on the field.

[ Oona´s Blackguard ] is a flying rogue that buffs our other rogues and gives them a discard effect when hitting a player (really nice when happens).

[ Earwig Squad ] is a 3 mana 5/3 which effect will destroy combo decks and some other decks that have specific winning conditions.

Spells:

[ Hidden Strings ] does not seem dangerous, but is a really nice card in our deck. For 2 mana (ideally in turn 2) we can untap the mana used to pay for it and cipher this card into an evasive creature, then use the 2 mana to cast something new and then, after attacking with the creature, untap again these 2 mana to play even more things. Also can be used to tap opponent´s lands to prevent him from playing in our Main Phase 2, to give to 2 of our creatures "vigilance",...

[ Curious Obsession ] pumps a little our creatures and gives us some card drawing. The drawback isn´t really a problem in this deck.

[ Morsel Theft ] is an amazing card. For 1B is a "lightning helix" + draw. (Imagine casting this for B with the Frogtosser!).

[ Fatal Push ] against opponent´s creatures.

[ Bitterblossom ] is a rogue generator. 1 flying rogue each turn, that can be used to add more pressure (works wonderfully with the Stinkdrinker or with the Blackguard) or to chumpblock some big creatures while our other creatures destroy the enemy.

Lands:

Nothing to explain here, I keep it pretty simple mana base to avoid life-losing, but it´s upgradable to fetchlands, etc.

Sideboard:

[ Noggin Whack ] can discard 2 cards for 1B. It´s nice in the middle game, forcing our opponent to lose their resources.

x2 Earwig Squad Vs hard control and combo decks, [ Spell Pierce ] if the opponent has a lot of removals and [ Cloak and Dagger ] for the same purposes (since it equips automatically).

Now, my questions and doubts are:

- Is the x4 [ Faerie Miscreant ] worth? It´s also an evasive mana 1 that can give us a  possible drawing. (Cutting for example the Vampire Cutthroat hehe).

- Is x4 [ Stinkdrinker Bandit ] a good choice or should I cut 1 of those?

- Do [ Bitterblossom ] really improve the deck?

- Maybe the [ Frogtosser Banneret ] since the deck is pretty fast and has [ Hidden Strings ]. Replace him with [ Thoughtseize ], [ Thieves' Fortune ], more [ Fatal Push ] ?

- [ Cloak and Dagger ] seems nice but it´s probably a little bit slow, maybe change it for otrher sideboard options, like [Damping Sphere]?

- Some doubts about adding or not [ Glint-Sleeve Siphoner ], [ Invisible Stalker ], [ Thieves' Fortune ]. Especially the last one.

- [ Knowledge Exploitation ] and [ Notorious Throng ] seems pretty fun cards, but no viable.

English is not my mother tongue; please excuse any errors on my part.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 03:53:23 pm by adriantxo »