deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Standard] Guttersnipin' - Any ways I could make the deck better?  (Read 973 times)

Firestorm258

• I own all non-WIP decks in paper or Arena.
  • Decks
Guttersnipin'

Using Experimental Frenzy along with lots of cheap damage spells to make Guttersnipe a massive threat and drain your opponent super quickly. Rummaging Goblin helps keep lands or unusable cards off the top of your deck while using Experimental Frenzy, while Skirk Prospector and Runaway Steam-Kin are there to ramp quickly and be able to cause explosive turns pretty early with lots of mana available.

Anyone have suggestions to improve the deck?

ladof

• Decks
Re: [Standard] Guttersnipin' - Any ways I could make the deck better?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 01:39:18 pm »
I'd put the electrostatic field in the main over skirk goblins. Something to block and another mini guttersnipe. Ramp generally isnt something to worry about in these decks, particularly if you're not dumping arclight Phoenix in the bin.

Sarkhan, fireblood over rummaging goblin does the same thing but gives you another win condition with his ultimate.

Putting rekindling Phoenix in the sideboard over the skirk goblins (I'm really not a fan of those) gives you something sticky in potentially longer games.
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Trogo

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 05:18:38 pm »
As others told you before the Electrostatic Field should be in the main deck.

Maybe you should try one copy of Banefire or Fight with Fire as "finish him" cards if the game lasts too much. Also board wipe sideboard cards you could try could be Fiery Cannonade or Shake the Foundations just in case you face a swarm deck (ahem, merfolks and vampires). Finally, i'm not sure if you've gave him the chance, but Ghitu Lavarunner is quite good when you want to take down an oppponent asap.

Firestorm258

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 07:31:35 pm »

Firestorm258

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 07:35:08 pm »
After taking some good suggestions into consideration, I have changed a few things, although I am still considering some other cards. (Mostly Sarkhan, Fireblood and how I could work him into the deck.)

Revision 3

Added/removed cards:
-3 (SB) Smelt-Ward Minotaur
+4 (SB) Skirk Prospector

Changed amounts:
+1 (SB) Shake the Foundations

Blusterbutts

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 07:50:21 pm »

Revision 2

Added/removed cards:
-4 Lava Coil
-4 Skirk Prospector
+4 Fight with Fire
-4 (SB) Fanatical Firebrand
+4 (SB) Ghitu Lavarunner
+3 (SB) Rekindling Phoenix
+3 (SB) Shake the Foundations

Changed amounts:
+4 (Main) -4 (SB) Electrostatic Field

Adding grits lavarunner to the main and running wizar’d lightning seems especially potent. Rummaging goblin is sort of a nonbo with frenzy

Firestorm258

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 09:50:24 pm »

Revision 4

Added/removed cards:
-3 Rummaging Goblin
+4 Wizard's Lightning

Changed amounts:
-1 Electrostatic Field
-4 (Main) +4 (SB) Fight with Fire
+4 (Main) -4 (SB) Ghitu Lavarunner

Firestorm258

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 09:53:49 pm »
As others told you before the Electrostatic Field should be in the main deck.

Maybe you should try one copy of Banefire or Fight with Fire as "finish him" cards if the game lasts too much. Also board wipe sideboard cards you could try could be Fiery Cannonade or Shake the Foundations just in case you face a swarm deck (ahem, merfolks and vampires). Finally, i'm not sure if you've gave him the chance, but Ghitu Lavarunner is quite good when you want to take down an oppponent asap.
I had actually considered almost all of these while creating the deck, and I definitely think ghitu could work to replace skirts prospector. And I mostly didn't iinclude fiery cannonade because it would kill my guttersnipe, but shake the foundation could be good in the sideboard. I was also seriously considering fight with fire due to its versatility maybe as a replacement for lava coil. Thanks for the suggestions!  :)

Firestorm258

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 09:54:51 pm »
I'd put the electrostatic field in the main over skirk goblins. Something to block and another mini guttersnipe. Ramp generally isnt something to worry about in these decks, particularly if you're not dumping arclight Phoenix in the bin.

Sarkhan, fireblood over rummaging goblin does the same thing but gives you another win condition with his ultimate.

Putting rekindling Phoenix in the sideboard over the skirk goblins (I'm really not a fan of those) gives you something sticky in potentially longer games.
I am inclined to agree with you about the electrostatic field, but I feel that sarkhan, fireblood is a little bit worse than rummaging goblin as it can't be done at instant speed, but it definitely makes sense because of the extra win condition he provides. I also do disagree with your dislike of skirk, as I personally feel he is one of the best cards from dominaria when it comes to quick ramp by simply sacing himself, but I can see where you are coming from. also, I think that rekindling phoenix would definitely be a good addition to the sideboard., so that thank you for the suggestions!  :)

ladof

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2018, 02:31:16 am »
I feel like skirk is a personal preference in playstyle. I dont like ramp in RDW decks, but I can appreciate someone else might. The other advantage I'd point out to Sarkhan, though, is that it gives your opponent something s/he has to deal with, since ignoring it is largely a death sentence. So sarkhan is taking damage/attention away from killing you, giving you more time to just sling spells at their face and finish the job.
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Firestorm258

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2018, 02:37:29 am »
I feel like skirk is a personal preference in playstyle. I dont like ramp in RDW decks, but I can appreciate someone else might. The other advantage I'd point out to Sarkhan, though, is that it gives your opponent something s/he has to deal with, since ignoring it is largely a death sentence. So sarkhan is taking damage/attention away from killing you, giving you more time to just sling spells at their face and finish the job.
Yeah, I always love playing skirk as I have played him to glorious effect in the past, so I personally have an attracted to that card for aggro, but I can see why it wouldn't appeal to others as much. Also, that is a great point about Sarkhan that I hadn't even considered, now I am almost definitely going to include him. Thanks for that!

Firestorm258

• Decks

Nephi66

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2018, 12:33:51 pm »
Nice and fun deck as always with Mono red burn  ;D

However there is some disrupting issue in your deck with experimental frenzy. It has to be played  as a kinf of stand-alone draw card.
Flame of keld and frenzy are not good together. You do not want to discard your hand because of flame of keld when you are under Experimental Frenzy.
I do not say you can't play them  together but with a cumulated 7 copies of those 2 cards, you will probably often end not playing some flame of keld in the midgame or topdecking another Experimental frenzy when under a frenzy. You'll loose a turn  :( Also if you topdeck risk faktor under Frenzy, not very good either but still interesting though.

Pirate's Pillage is an interesting alternative or/mix to experimental frenzy. Pirate's Pillage kind of comes in play when you start to have only 2 or 3 remaining cards in hand and can give you the extra mana boost to cast a jayla ballard on turn 5 if you miss your land drop. Then you can Keld into empty hand to get two more cards, or use risk faktor.

The biggest advantage of Experimental frenzy is that it does the job alone so it takes less slots in your deck, than the whole Flame of keld + pirate's pillage + risk faktor suite.
IMO: 2 options:
1/ 2-3 experimental frenzy + 2-3 risk faktor . Prefer Banefire to Fight with fire.
2/ 3-4 Pirate's pillage + 3-4 risk faktor + 3-4 flame of keld.  Prefer fight with fire, and cheaper burn spell. Radiating lightning is also very good with the flame of keld

I spoke of Jaya Ballard earlier, I will explain why.  I would rather choose Jaya Ballard over Sarkhan, Fireblood  for 3 reasons:
- the card filtering is better.
- the extra mana means you can cast a banefire or kicked fight with fire from turn 6 or 7 for a 9+ damage depending on how many electrostatic field / gutternsnipe you have on the board
- In the late game you can cast your spells from the graveyard, which kind of a I win the game in this kind of deck ;)
However, the best might be to sideboard/mix them depending on the matchup.

Also, I approve the addition of banefire but I would play at least 4 copies of  banefire / fight with fire). In fact, I strongly suggest the addition of Fight with fire if you play flame of keld, because it does combo multiple times with the 3rd chapter of the flame of keld. Each time you divided the damage of it, it add +2 damage :
"If damage dealt by a source you control is being divided or assigned among multiple permanents an opponent controls or among an opponent and one or more permanents they control simultaneously, divide the original amount before adding 2. For example, if you attack with a 5/5 red creature with trample and your opponent blocks with a 2/2 creature, you can assign 2 damage to the blocker and 3 damage to the defending player. These amounts are then modified to 4 and 5, respectively. "
Remember, if you play Jaya Ballard and you can just cast them for a few mana and  play them later at their full potential from your graveyard.

So, why mix the two of them ? Banefire cannot be countered not damage prevented so it's the go killer card against blue control !

I would also add, in the sideboard, some copies of cards like Star of extinction or Chandra, Bold Pyromancer, just in case you have some bad matchup with big creatures you do not succeed to remove from the board, especially hexproof creatures like Carnage Tyrant.

So, now you have some tactical choices to do.  :)

Mutiny is also a cheap removal spell .

Hope, my two cents advices will help.

Firestorm258

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2018, 09:32:44 pm »
Nice and fun deck as always with Mono red burn  ;D

However there is some disrupting issue in your deck with experimental frenzy. It has to be played  as a kinf of stand-alone draw card.
Flame of keld and frenzy are not good together. You do not want to discard your hand because of flame of keld when you are under Experimental Frenzy.
I do not say you can't play them  together but with a cumulated 7 copies of those 2 cards, you will probably often end not playing some flame of keld in the midgame or topdecking another Experimental frenzy when under a frenzy. You'll loose a turn  :( Also if you topdeck risk faktor under Frenzy, not very good either but still interesting though.

Pirate's Pillage is an interesting alternative or/mix to experimental frenzy. Pirate's Pillage kind of comes in play when you start to have only 2 or 3 remaining cards in hand and can give you the extra mana boost to cast a jayla ballard on turn 5 if you miss your land drop. Then you can Keld into empty hand to get two more cards, or use risk faktor.

The biggest advantage of Experimental frenzy is that it does the job alone so it takes less slots in your deck, than the whole Flame of keld + pirate's pillage + risk faktor suite.
IMO: 2 options:
1/ 2-3 experimental frenzy + 2-3 risk faktor . Prefer Banefire to Fight with fire.
2/ 3-4 Pirate's pillage + 3-4 risk faktor + 3-4 flame of keld.  Prefer fight with fire, and cheaper burn spell. Radiating lightning is also very good with the flame of keld

I spoke of Jaya Ballard earlier, I will explain why.  I would rather choose Jaya Ballard over Sarkhan, Fireblood  for 3 reasons:
- the card filtering is better.
- the extra mana means you can cast a banefire or kicked fight with fire from turn 6 or 7 for a 9+ damage depending on how many electrostatic field / gutternsnipe you have on the board
- In the late game you can cast your spells from the graveyard, which kind of a I win the game in this kind of deck ;)
However, the best might be to sideboard/mix them depending on the matchup.

Also, I approve the addition of banefire but I would play at least 4 copies of  banefire / fight with fire). In fact, I strongly suggest the addition of Fight with fire if you play flame of keld, because it does combo multiple times with the 3rd chapter of the flame of keld. Each time you divided the damage of it, it add +2 damage :
"If damage dealt by a source you control is being divided or assigned among multiple permanents an opponent controls or among an opponent and one or more permanents they control simultaneously, divide the original amount before adding 2. For example, if you attack with a 5/5 red creature with trample and your opponent blocks with a 2/2 creature, you can assign 2 damage to the blocker and 3 damage to the defending player. These amounts are then modified to 4 and 5, respectively. "
Remember, if you play Jaya Ballard and you can just cast them for a few mana and  play them later at their full potential from your graveyard.

So, why mix the two of them ? Banefire cannot be countered not damage prevented so it's the go killer card against blue control !

I would also add, in the sideboard, some copies of cards like Star of extinction or Chandra, Bold Pyromancer, just in case you have some bad matchup with big creatures you do not succeed to remove from the board, especially hexproof creatures like Carnage Tyrant.

So, now you have some tactical choices to do.  :)

Mutiny is also a cheap removal spell .

Hope, my two cents advices will help.

Wow, you've given me a lot to think about. I will definitely be making a lot of changes to the deck after reading this, and thank you so much for giving such a high volume of well-thought-out and helpful suggestions!  ;D

Firestorm258

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2018, 10:27:41 pm »

Revision 8

After taking the suggestions from Nephi66 into consideration, I have made quite a few changes to the deck.

Added/removed cards:
-4 Risk Factor
-2 Sarkhan, Fireblood
+4 Fight with Fire
+2 Jaya Ballard
+4 Mutiny
+2 Pirate's Pillage
+3 Radiating Lightning
-3 (SB) Detection Tower
-3 (SB) Rekindling Phoenix
-4 (SB) Shake the Foundations
+3 (SB) Star of Extinction