deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [EDH / Commander] Wort, the Raidmother - Group Hug Burn  (Read 197 times)

Hiway1977

• Decks
[EDH / Commander] Wort, the Raidmother - Group Hug Burn
« on: June 04, 2018, 05:36:37 am »
Wort, the Raidmother - Group Hug Burn

Group hug Burn??? What the hell is that???

I play a bunch of 'hug' effects for drawing cards and mana production in hopes it will deter my opponents from attacking me long enough to generate enough mana to burn the table down. 

Wort gives all my green and red spells conspire.  To conspire I need to tap two creatures that share a color with the spell I am casting.  If I do, I get a copy of the spell.  I am running around 17 ramp spells/creature to get my lands into play as fast as I can. I use Wort's conspiring ability to double either the ramp or the burn.  Several of my burn spells can target more than one target so i rarely need more than one burn spell to take the table down.  Here is my list:

THE HUGS:
Helm of Awakening - make spells cheaper for everyone
Veteren Explorer - Everyone get lands
Howling Mine/Anvil of Bogardan/Font of Mythos/Temple Bell/Otherworld Atlas - Everyone draws
Collective Voyage - Ramping together
Keeper of Progenitus/Dictate of Karametra/Mana Flare/Zhur-Taa Ancient/Heartbeat of Spring - Mana doubling
Rite of Flourishing - Extra draw and extra land each turn

RAMP
Manamorphose - nets mana with Wort and draws a card
Animist's Awakening - lots of land, which will almost always come into play untapped
Doubling Cube - Double your mana
Llanowar Elves/Fyndhorn Elves/Elvish Mystic/Arbor Elf/Birds of Paradise - Mana dorks
Ranger's Path/Skyshroud Claim/Rampant Growth/Farseek/Explosive Vegetation/Nature's Lore - Typical Green mana ramp
Explore - Play an extra land and draw a card
Magus of the Candelabra - can profit on mana if a double is in play
Xenagos, the Reveler - Ramp based on creatures, creates a creature that can be used for conspiring

THE BURN
Comet Storm - +1 mana for each other target.
Fall of the Titans - Almost always cast for the Surge cost.  Can target "Up to two targets"
Banefire - Can't be countered or prevented after 5
Kaervek's Torch - Two blue mana untapped?  No problem!  Also good against cards like Wild Ricochet or anything else that may want to copy, redirect or prevent.
Jaya's Immolating Inferno - Needs Wort in play, but hits "up to three targets"

DRAW
Collective Unconscious/Shamanic Revelation - Card for each creature I control
Skullclamp - This is good towards end of game when I need to dig just a little further in the library
Harmonize - Three cards for four mana
Sylvan Library - With no life gain in the deck, this acts as more card selection instead of draw.  My group knows what my deck does, so I do take my share of damage.

OTHER DOUBLERS
Fork/Wild Ricochet/Reverberate/Increasing Vengeance - These can be used to double your spells when Wort is not around or to copy a Counterspell, Wild Ricochet, or something else that would counter, copy, or redirect the original spell before it resolves.  I generally have enough mana for my burn spells to kill the table and have extra for these if needed.
Pyromancer's Goggles - doubles red spells without Wort
Primal Amulet - makes my spells cheaper and transforms into a spell doubler

TOKENS - I have found I don't usually need a lot of tokens to get the job done.  I only have red tokens due to the number of mana dorks I have.
Krenko's Command
Dragon Fodder
Hordeling Outburst
Goblin Rally

UTILITY
Early Harvest/Rude Awakening - I have two non-basic lands in this deck to take full advantage of these two cards.  Conspiring these spells is usually the Signature move of the deck as it is setting up for a massive X spell.
City of Solitude/Dosan of the Fallen Leaf - stop my opponents from doing anything while I am going off.  Dosan does allow Jaya's Immolating Inferno to be cast as well
Amulet of Vigor - my land come into play untapped when ramping
Elixir of Immortality - Sometimes I need to shuffle the graveyard back into the library
Paradox Engine - Early iterations of this deck used Earthcraft and Cryptolith Rite to tap all creatures for mana.  This allowed me to create a ton of mana with each spell cast.  I have not gotten into play since removing those cards.  So outside of basically giving me conspire on all spells, I do know how effective it is now.
Naturalize/Krosan Grip - Was put in because I thought Damping Sphere was going to be a problem.  After discussing card wording with a friend decided the sphere was not going to hurt nearly as bad as I orginally thought.  These have not come into play yet since being added to the deck
Glacial Chasm - Stop the aggro decks for a turn or two.  There are times when I need just one extra turn.  This gives that to me, assuming no land destruction.  At a full 40 life, you can pay for it 5 times.  A well timed Glacial Chasm could steal the game.

RECURSION - Not a lot here.  Used to get a piece back I may have lost for one reason or another
Wildest Dreams
Regrowth
Mizzix's Mastery

LANDS - Mostly Basics to take advantage of Early Harvest and Rude Awakening
17 Mountains
21 Forest
1 Reliquary Tower
1 Glacial Chasm

Thanks for taking a look.  I am open to all comments and suggestions

Hiway1977

• Decks
Re: [EDH / Commander] Wort, the Raidmother - Group Hug Burn
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 05:38:20 am »

Revision 2

Added/removed cards:
-1 dosn the fallen leaf
+1 Dosan the Falling Leaf

Hiway1977

• Decks
Re: [EDH / Commander] Wort, the Raidmother - Group Hug Burn
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 11:38:31 pm »
A quick update to my Wort, the Raidmother - Burning Hugs deck

OUT
Paradox Engine - always made me a target when I cast it.  Never worked like I wanted it to.

City of Solitude and Dosan the Falling Leaf - Used it to stop the countermagic so I could combo out.  I am wanting my opponents to have some chance at interaction so I cut these two cards.

Jaya's Immolating Inferno - The need for either Wort or Dosan was too much to ask, in my opinion.  Especially after I cut Dosan.

IN
Red Elemental Blast and Pyroblast - my anti-blue cards. They are worth the spot.  I don't feel they will ever be wasted in my meta

Doublecast and Bonus Round - Just in case Wort is hated off the table I have a few other tricks.

Please let me know what you think.  All comments and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for looking.