deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Best overall card in Ravnica Allegiance?  (Read 708 times)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Best overall card in Ravnica Allegiance?
« on: January 17, 2019, 03:28:39 pm »
So what do we think is the best overall card from this set. I'll give it until the set releases, which will give the prerelease this week to play some with the cards, and then I will create a poll of the cards listed in this thread to see what the general consensus is.

In order to try to sway people, don't just list the card name, explain why you think it is the best card in the set.
This space for rent.

MonteTribal

• Decks
Re: Best overall card in Ravnica Allegiance?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 04:20:29 pm »
My predictions for top cards are:

Skewer the Critics - probably the card that will see the most play from the set. Fits into so many decks and formats

Bedevil - Kills everything at instant speed for 3 mana. Hard to top that.

Dovin Grand Arbiter - I think this could be bonkers in the right deck. 1 fully cast Lingering Souls makes this able to ultimate on its second turn on the field. Dig Through Time +1 is super powerful. If you burn your hand to make this work, then you get a new hand.

Emergency Powers - might see play in High Tide decks.

Skewer is probably the one that makes the biggest splash.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 03:26:31 pm »
Bedevil is my choice. Nice flexible removal. If you're going Jund in Standard, it and Assassin's Trophy are a nice little 1-2 punch. If you're playing commander, those two with Windgrace's Judgment, Dreadbore (which I'm higher on that most people), and Hero's Downfall...
This space for rent.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 03:54:55 pm »
Yeah but if you're playing commander then Vannifar..
Nils is the God I worship

bradcoish23

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 04:00:38 pm »
Here are my thoughts (I'm only considering standard playability)

Most format altering card (not counting the shock lands):

Rhythm of The Wild

-Rhythm of the Wild will end up being the best or most format altering card in my opinion.
-in a format with Llanowar Elves, Rhythm is so powerful. The options of creatures that can follow it on turn 3 and 4 are pure powerhouses.
-the synergy with Growth-Chamber Guardian is pretty nasty. It gains the counter as it enters, therefore you search your library for another copy. You can then play the second copy that turn (turn 3) and search for another copy for your hand. The result is two creatures on board (totalling 6 power/toughness) and a third creature in your hand that allows you to do the same trick next turn if you want. 
-it is fairly certain that U/W or U/W/x control is going to be a major player in this standard, if so dropping a Rhythm before the opponent can counter it with a 3cmc counter may be game over for them.
-Rhythm may be such a problem for control that it forces players to change from draw-go to tap-out control.
-The truest sign of a "best card", is one that warps a format to respond to it

Cards to look out for:

1) Bedevil would probably be the best card, however it is hard to cast and is color restrictive.
2) Judith, the Scourge Diva may be the card to watch out for if an Aristocrats style strategy rises to be tier 1.
3) Frilled Mystic is crazy powerful, however it is likely that the hardcore simic color restrictions holds it down from seeing a lot of play.

nifty129

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 05:51:57 pm »
I would go with ooze, because it's powerful enough to spawn it's own deck type. Single handily making simic duplicate a thing. Will the deck beat u/w no tefari, turbo fog, board clears, this stuff is good against anything mid range, and will only be week to aggro, and by weak I mean 50/50. Otherwise I agree with the above, rhythm of the wild basically just makes green stompy better in all it's weak match ups, so it's worth splashing red on it's own, and the grul plainswalker is there for support as well.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 05:54:52 pm by nifty129 »

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 10:39:42 pm »
I want to see what becomes of Verity Circle. I think this card has potential in commander, maybe even as a replacement to Rhystic Study.

MonteTribal

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 11:08:20 pm »
I want to see what becomes of Verity Circle. I think this card has potential in commander, maybe even as a replacement to Rhystic Study.

I knew I forgot something! I saw that and immediately thought Blue commander staple. Stalls attacks, draws cards, punishes mana dorks. Good pick

Ohenoki

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 04:22:53 pm »
Ok, so not exactly the "best" cards but the ones I have had the most fun with so far:

[[Mirror March]] - this is amazing when it works right. Drop [[Demanding Dragon]], or any creature with an ETB ability, and watch the shenanigans. Drop an [[Inferno Hellion]] and flip 5 more of them and attack with 35 trample damage+. Combine with [[Rhythm of the Wild]] for even more fun. Endless joy!

[[Ethereal Absolution]] - I haven't had much play with this yet, just started, but forced some token players to quit when they realised their tokens were dead on the board when they were created. [[Haazda Marshal]] , [[Verdant Force]] ,  1/1 creatures come out dead. I have 2 [[Ashes of the Abhorrent]] on the field too, so his saprolings were just healing me 2 every upkeep when his VF created them. Felt so good.

BoBWiz

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 09:32:42 am »
Gatebreaker Ram & Gates Ablaze make gates playable imo.

May it'll work in a kind of maze's end/amulet deck in modern

ORCH1D

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2019, 10:17:45 am »
Hydroid Krasis seems is pretty good. Sphinx's Revelation on a massive body? Yes please!

GreenflameAW

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2019, 11:11:08 pm »
IMO, Light up the Stage is an extremely strong card in the right deck. It's pretty much a one-mana draw two for aggro decks in red, which is totally insane.

nickelphoenix

• Casual EDH player studying the ways of Witch-Maw.
  • Decks
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2019, 02:38:50 am »

Ouf. Grand Arbiter decks will love this.

nickelphoenix

• Casual EDH player studying the ways of Witch-Maw.
  • Decks
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2019, 02:42:17 am »
 I think Smothering Ttihe will be a huge help to EDH decks “sans green”. Without doubt a huge boost to Mono white, Boros, and Azorius.

TrueNeutralPaladin

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2019, 07:45:48 am »
Sphinx of Foresight. 2UU for 4/4 in the air plus scry 1 during your upkeep. Solid.

Seraph of the Scales. Because Avacyn, Gisela, Sigarda, and Bruna needed a sister with one black mana in her casting cost for my five-color angel deck. And she's a nice 4-drop. ;)

Eyes Everywhere, Judith, the Scourge Diva, and Rhythm of the Wild are nice, too.

And of course Smothering Tithe is much-appreciated help for white decks in EDH/Commander. But I do wish the name and flavor had been neutral rather than explicitly Orzhov.