deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Wincon with Confusion in the Ranks + Possibility Storm out  (Read 548 times)

Judaspriester

• Decks
Wincon with Confusion in the Ranks + Possibility Storm out
« on: January 25, 2019, 01:22:10 pm »
Hey,

I've seen Morganators Mishra, Artificer Prodigy edh deck. I really like the idea, but I would prefere a little more chaos. A real chaos combo would be Confusion in the Ranks + Possibility Storm.
The only big question for me is now, how I shall win, if i manage to get both on the board. Ideas?
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Re: Wincon with Confusion in the Ranks + Possibility Storm out
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 03:00:44 pm »
This looks more like a lock than a combo. We just need to perfect it.

If I were me, I would play Possibility Storm last, and Confusion in the Ranks second last (it doesn't matter who controls Possibility Storm). Next, you need to make sure no one gains control if your stuff, so use either Homeward Path (not recommended) or Privileged Position.

You'll need someway of gaining control of your opponents' creatures. Something like Elspeth, Sun's Champion or Marath, Will of the Wild. Then throw in Aether Flash so you opponents lose the tokens.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 08:05:11 pm »
Why confusion in the ranks.. just possibility storm with with Aetherflux.. Possibility Storm, get it..
Nils is the God I worship

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 01:03:25 am »
Well, my idea was, that those two cards would make a lock and spread alot of chaos, since nobody knows what he will get, and all non-land permanents play musical chairs (maybe also add planar chaos to make the the table entirely mad). So I was thinking about how I could win then.

the idea with Privileged Position isn't bad, but afaik it doesn't work, because confusion in the ranks says "choose" in stead of "target". I always got told that "choose" ignores hexproof/shroud.

@soren yeah you're right, with aetherlfux I dont need confusion in the ranks anymore. I was just thinking about it because it could be fun (and very anoying for my opponents). But even if this is will be more of a fun deck for me, I would like to have some way to end the game, without waiting for someone to break the lock.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 01:32:12 am »
You could use Norin the Wary. He'll keep entering the battlefield under your control, allowing you to gain control of any good creatures your opponents get.

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 10:37:11 am »
Yeah, Norin is a very interesting idea. He could make people mad. :D

Hmm.. seems like i have to start brewing.

/edit: 15 minute brainstorming:
https://deckstats.net/decks/112190/1204921-mishra-chaos

Still got some slots left.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 02:22:30 pm by Judaspriester »

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 03:31:08 pm »
What I did when I built Mishra, was I made all my removal instants, and all my instants were removal. The reason for this was that I built the deck on the assumption that Possibility Storm would always be out. So if I needed to remove something, my Abrade would become a Grixis Charm, to give (approximately) the same effect.

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 04:35:20 pm »
Hmm.. good point. the idea that i really want to have confusion out got lost somewhere on the track.

Red_Wyrm

• I'm the boss of the forums.
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2019, 07:38:22 am »
Well, my idea was, that those two cards would make a lock and spread alot of chaos, since nobody knows what he will get, and all non-land permanents play musical chairs (maybe also add planar chaos to make the the table entirely mad). So I was thinking about how I could win then.

the idea with Privileged Position isn't bad, but afaik it doesn't work, because confusion in the ranks says "choose" in stead of "target". I always got told that "choose" ignores hexproof/shroud.

@soren yeah you're right, with aetherlfux I dont need confusion in the ranks anymore. I was just thinking about it because it could be fun (and very anoying for my opponents). But even if this is will be more of a fun deck for me, I would like to have some way to end the game, without waiting for someone to break the lock.

I saw this, and I assumed it would be answered in another post, but it wasn't, but confusion in the ranks does say target. It says "Chooses target permanent" whereas there are cards that say, each opponent chooses a creature he or she controls. In this case, a creature with shroud could be chosen.
My King Baby said yes!
I thought you'd never ask
Also, I always spell your name correctly, Red_Wurm.  :)

Please, it is Red

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 09:33:34 pm »
Confusion in the Ranks is strange in that it uses the word choose and the word target.

Oracle text:
Whenever an artifact, creature, or enchantment enters the battlefield, its controller chooses target permanent another player controls that shares a card type with it. Exchange control of those permanents.

Normally when you cast a spell, the controller of that spell selects all the targets.  Also normally the word choose means that it does not target and therefore gets around shroud.

In this context however, the card is instructing a player other than the spell's controller to select a target.  I feel they should use the word select instead of the word choose in this template.  But that is not what they have chosen/selected to do.  (See what I did there :)  )

So Confusion in the Ranks does NOT get around shoud.   Those creatures cannot be selected as targets.

Happy Brewing!
:)
Happy Brewing!

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2019, 11:01:31 am »
Confusion in the Ranks is strange in that it uses the word choose and the word target.

Oracle text:
Whenever an artifact, creature, or enchantment enters the battlefield, its controller chooses target permanent another player controls that shares a card type with it. Exchange control of those permanents.

Normally when you cast a spell, the controller of that spell selects all the targets.  Also normally the word choose means that it does not target and therefore gets around shroud.

In this context however, the card is instructing a player other than the spell's controller to select a target.  I feel they should use the word select instead of the word choose in this template.  But that is not what they have chosen/selected to do.  (See what I did there :)  )

So Confusion in the Ranks does NOT get around shoud.   Those creatures cannot be selected as targets.

Happy Brewing!

Interesting interpretation of the rules. I'm just not sure, I'll be able to do the same trick with my playgroup. ;)
Thx anyway.

Red_Wyrm

• I'm the boss of the forums.
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2019, 11:10:02 pm »

Oracle text:

Happy Brewing!

Interesting interpretation of the rules. I'm just not sure, I'll be able to do the same trick with my playgroup. ;)
Thx anyway.

The rules arent open to interpretation. Confusion in the ranks says target. Therefore you are choosing a target and must target something. If target is nowhere on the card, shroud/hexproof will not work.
My King Baby said yes!
I thought you'd never ask
Also, I always spell your name correctly, Red_Wurm.  :)

Please, it is Red