deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Top 5 reprints you would like to see reprinted in Standard  (Read 883 times)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Top 5 reprints you would like to see reprinted in Standard
« on: February 07, 2019, 02:12:12 pm »
This post is based on something Gavin Verhey posted on Twitter yesterday (asking what 5 cards you'd like to see reprinted that don't include lands and reserved list cards), so I'm going to add a twist...

What 5 cards would you like to see reprinted in a Standard playable set to fit into this Standard environment?

This space for rent.

ORCH1D

• Decks
Re: Top 5 reprints you would like to see reprinted in Standard
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 02:42:45 pm »
1) Noble Hierarch - It has a huge price tag, and I don't think that it will be game breaking in standard. This fits well in the Sultai Midrange and Simic Climb decks, but wouldn't make them tier 0.
2) Manamorphose - Again, this card definitely has a home in standard, this time in Izzet drake decks. This could give them the means to get to tier 1 and doesn't do anything in other shells to be an auto-include in every deck.
3) Hedron Crab - There is already the pieces of a mill deck in standard, with Drowned Secrets and Psychic Corrosion, but this could give it an edge to become competitive playable. It's also surprisingly expensive for how little it sees play. The only downside is it's very Zendikar flavoured, and so could only see a place in Core Set 2020.
4) Karn Liberated - Now, Wizard's of the Coast normally doesn't do Planeswalker re-prints in standard legal products, instead opting to create new cards, but I think if there were ever a time to break that rule, War of the Spark would be it. I think Karn, Liberated would probably be the safest to do in this case, because he's only really good because he's the best thing to do with exactly 7 mana in modern.
5) Phantasmal Image - Another suprisingly expensive card for its power level. Anywhere there is Jace, there can be phantasmal image, and Quasiduplicate and Repudiate//Replicate this could make some really janky copying shinanigans.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 02:47:53 pm by moehike »

BoBWiz

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 07:37:47 am »
1) Maze's end (Yes, it is a land) come to my mind to be reprinted in standard, 'cause - oh i think you can imagine ...
2) Amulet of vigor, for the same reason (and there is no reprint at all) - Nexus of fate should be banned before imo ...
3-5) i don't know now - i like the idea of hedron crab, manamorphose, ...

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 02:56:02 pm »
Just because -nostalgia-...
1) The Wretched
2) Lure
3) Kjeldoran Frostbeast
4) Wall of Nets
5) Giant Oyster

MonteTribal

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 11:57:44 pm »
I'm trying to think of ones that would be fun for a limited archetype, not just because of a price tag. Price tag reprints are easy, but fun cards are harder to think of lol.

1. Battle Screech - a great card all around. Constructed playable, maybe modern playable, and a pauper staple that is a little pricey. Fills plenty of options for limited - UW fliers, a way for weenies to have some additional gas, a good discard target, breaks up a stalled board, bird tribal... And flashback is fun mechanic. It has Burning Vengeance, Secrets of the Dead, and i am sure some other cards that play well with it.

2. Burst Lightning - such a flexible card

3. Pyrostatic Pillar - forces a slower format, makes most counterspells shock you, and because Storm is too good in modern

4. Witch's Mist - what a fun build around card! Blocking 1/1 with your beast becomes risky, can be used offensively and defensively.

5. Mistmeadow Witch - so many interactions... Can make tokens, can gain life, can reset Banisher Priest, can draw cards, undoes mind control, removes counters + auras. Such a good card.

Runner up - Zada, Hedron Grinder - because I want to see what else it can do in a different environment

mtg god

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2019, 07:34:01 am »
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 10:25:03 am by mtg god »
your trash go quit magic- triggered opponent

Loggiu

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2019, 10:36:04 am »
1) Not a reprint but add planeswalkers of the gatewatch that can be commanders
2) The chain veil
3) Inquisition of kozilek
4) Wall of denial
5) Manamorphose

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2019, 12:53:14 pm »
They've said they'll likely never print PW's in Standard that have the 'can be your commander' line.
This space for rent.

Loggiu

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 12:41:44 am »
noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

MisterBudgetBuilder

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 01:14:49 am »
Dating myself here:

Royal Assassin