deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: London Mulligan  (Read 819 times)

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
London Mulligan
« on: February 28, 2019, 10:32:50 pm »
For those who haven't heard, Mythic Championship II will occur in London from April 26thto 28th. They are going to be testing a new mulligan, appropriately called the London Mulligan.

Basically, you draw your full 7, then put cards on the bottom of your library equal to the number of mulligans you took. For example, if it's your first mulligan, you draw seven, then put one card on the bottom, then decide if you want to keep this hand or mulligan again.

I want to know what people think of this. Should we go from our current mulligan rule to this new one? Why or why not?

Link to the article:
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/competitive-gaming/mythic-championship-ii-format-and-london-test-2019-02-21

Soren841

• Decks
Re: London Mulligan
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 10:38:17 pm »
I run 27 lands in Yidris I like this
Nils is the God I worship

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 10:51:57 pm »
I'm not sure how I feel about this but won't know until I've tried it. My playgroup is coming over Sunday to play EDH and we've discussed trying this out then.

Of course who knows, even if WOTC makes the change to this mulligan the EDH RC may not.
This space for rent.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 11:20:56 pm »
Though not as extreme, I see this having the same issue as the Partial Paris mulligan; it favors combo decks, and combo decks don't need to be favored.

crimsonking

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 11:32:15 pm »
With my Grenzo deeck, I'd mulligan down 3 to put my best creatures on the bottom all day long.

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 01:34:29 am »
Of course who knows, even if WOTC makes the change to this mulligan the EDH RC may not.

The RC has stated that they want to match the regular Magic rules whenever possible and only break from them when absolutely necessary for the format.

So I suspect that if the formal mulligan rule for Magic is changed to London, that EDH will adopt it.  At least at first.  If it causes problems, they may change it later.

I assume that in multi-player the first mulligan would still be "free".

With my Grenzo deeck, I'd mulligan down 3 to put my best creatures on the bottom all day long.

They may have to add on a "shuffle at the end" clause to prevent such shenanigans.

Happy Shuffling!
:)
Happy Brewing!
:)

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 02:25:01 am »
It won't really be relevant in casual EDH so they'll use it.
Nils is the God I worship

BoBWiz

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 01:59:23 pm »
In my multiplayer-play-group we Mulligan the first for free, than you go to 6 + scry or pay 1 life and got 7 again ...

It's said by critics MtG got Problems with consistent mana flow. London Mulligan could fix this problem a bit imo.
I agree with "shuffle at the end".

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2019, 02:24:02 pm »
It is going to be interesting to see if the rule is 1st implemented at first into other formats and interesting to see how it is implemented in EDH. I do like the premise and idea though behind this mulligan, sculpting your hand so you at least can play something.
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

LordDarkura

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2019, 08:33:20 pm »
I think it should mostly just be used for competitive events, as that way it becomes less about luck and more about skill, which is important when playing for thousands of dollars.

But at FNM, your just playing for packs. So it's fine if there's a bit more chance involved with that.