deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Marath, Lord of Dinos  (Read 360 times)

chillwolf

• Decks
Marath, Lord of Dinos
« on: February 14, 2019, 03:31:42 am »
https://deckstats.net/decks/121552/1210001-marath-enrage-dinos/en

So I'm looking to use Marath to ping dinos, and then get lots of +1/+1 on said dinos to go face.

Any thoughts on cards from the sideboard to include? I want to make the deck as consistent as possible, so I tried to keep recurrent card draw.

I dont have have a Carnage Tyrant, but when I do, what do you think it should replace? I am also trying to find a home for Sarhkan's unsealing.

Thanks!

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Re: Marath, Lord of Dinos
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 04:00:04 am »
Why do you want Carnage Tyrant?

chillwolf

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 04:05:48 am »
Hmm, I figured that a 7/6 hexproof, trample for 6 seems good in a format with a decent amount of single-target removal? But it doesn't give me any enrage value and it is another expensive bomb unfortunately.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 04:44:30 am »
Trading one removal spell for one creature is card disadvantage in a multiplayer format. This is why boardwipes are common; which hexproof doesn't protect against. Targeted removal is saved for the big threats, not a 7/6 with trample.

Save your money, don't bother with Carnage Tyrant.

Elan Morin Tedronai

• Modern Tribal Combinations!
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 01:52:57 pm »
I play Dinos in Modern deck, so I will recommend Knight of the Stampede as a ramp card.

Ylhyssia

• I love deck-building :3
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 02:14:58 pm »
Does your deck have any way to cheat creatures in play except Quicksilver Amulet, or anyway to make high amount of mana?

Just asking because your curve is really, really high, and you only have 5 creatures that cost 1-3 mana (Raptor Hatchling, Siegehorn Ceratops, Kinjalli's Sunwing, Ranging Raptors, Runic Armasaur), and you have 20 cards at 5 CMC +, so 20% of your deck can't be cast before turn 5.

If you keep the deck this way you'll have a lot of games where you don't do much until turn 5, and your deck will be very slow.

Reducing the number of high CMC creatures, and adding cards like Mirari's Wake would probably go a long way in making your deck faster. Or if you want to use high Power creatures, consider adding cards that benefit from it, like Traverse the Outlands, or Selvala, Heart of the Wilds so you can ramp a lot.

(Cards like Herald's horn and Urza's incubator are great, but they aren't always enough)

chillwolf

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 02:23:52 pm »
Ylhyssia, thanks for the response!

As far as cheating creatures in, I am looking at adding an Elvish Piper, and maybe a Wild Pair as well, even though Wild Pair doesn't really solve the mana issue.

Traverse the Outlands is a good call for some additional ramp, any other thoughts on how to cheat out some big creatures?

My problem with Mirari's Wake is that it gives Marath +1/+1 without giving it in the form of a counter. This means that if I bring Marath in, use his abilities and get rid of his +1/+1 counters, he will be stuck at 1/1 without a good way to return him to the command zone.

Do you have any ideas about other good mana doublers or tribal cost reducers?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 02:29:27 pm by chillwolf »

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 03:10:53 pm »
Hmm.. Since you play with alot of non-basics, what about Tempt with Discovery?
Fires of Yavimaya could be useful as backup for Rhythm of the Wild.
Drumhunter could be interesting for draw/ramp.
Somberwald Sage could help you paying your expensive creatures.

/edit: just got another good idea: Incubation Druid in stead of paying adapt you could also use your commander.

/edit2: got another idea: Selvala's Stampede. Depending on your playgroup this card could be very funny. ;)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 03:14:52 pm by Judaspriester »
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.