deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: How to beat Superfriends  (Read 280 times)

Red_Wyrm

• I'm the boss of the forums.
  • Decks
How to beat Superfriends
« on: February 15, 2019, 01:02:57 am »
Hello.

I play commander with the same 3-4 people and one person has an atraxa superfriends deck. I absolutely hate atraxa because it has evasion, life gain, can trade with almost anything, and vigilance because why not? It should cost 6 mana not 4, but I can't change that.

Anyway, he usually avoids playing the deck because everyone moans and groans about how long it takes. Activating 4 planeswalkers, twice a turn takes a while. And then it just dominates the board beyond control.

If I had a way to deal with the deck, not a silver bullet, but a way for us to have a fair interactive game, that would be great. He could play his deck more often. Usually when he plays it, it is a guaranteed win because everyone quits.

I play with the immortal sun, but that's one out of 99 cards and easy to remove. I've never had it out for it to be useful. Itll get removed on superfriend's turn and then he plays as normal.

My playgroup doesn't see him as a threat until he has 3-4 walkers about to ultimate, and it's too late. We cannot fight emblems that counter our first spell each turn, or exile a permanent whenever he draws a card.

So, considering I am the only person at the table with the sense to attempt to stop him before it's too late, what are some ways to fight his deck? I run merciless eviction, but that's a one time, maybe two time use, and remember, I do also have other opponents I have to watch out for.

Thanks.

To clarify, the goal is for him to be able to play superfriends more since he likes the deck, but right now, it's almost a guaranteed win so we limit it to once a week. I considered land destruction, but no one likes that.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 03:40:25 am by Red_Wyrm »
My King Baby said yes!
I thought you'd never ask
Also, I always spell your name correctly, Red_Wurm.  :)

Please, it is Red

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
Re: How to beat Superfriends
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 01:41:17 am »
I have found that the best cards against planeswalkers in general are in black:

Vampire Hexmage
Aether Snap
Thief of Blood

And when playing against superfiends in particular, I have had good results with:

Gonti, Lord of Luxury
Pyxis of Pandemonium

If you take the cards out of their deck, then they can never activate them.

Also, don't be afraid to use an effect like Vindicate on a planeswalker, or even direct damage.

Another strategy - trample.  Attack the walkers hard and often.

Happy Brewing!
:)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 01:46:24 am by ApothecaryGeist »
Happy Brewing!

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 02:51:42 am »
Thought of another one ...

Things that shut down activated abilities, like the detain mechanic ...

Loyalty abilities ARE activated abilities.
Happy Brewing!

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 03:28:21 am »
Maybe you're thinking about this the wrong way. Instead of "How can I stop the threat?" go with "How can I be the threat?"

If this Atraxa deck is ahead of you, try upgrading your deck, and help your friends upgrade theirs. This way, the power level of the playgroup can match that of the Atraxa deck.