deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [EDH / Commander] Rarr... Zombos (Competitive, Need Help)  (Read 234 times)

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
[EDH / Commander] Rarr... Zombos (Competitive, Need Help)
« on: February 24, 2019, 12:21:40 am »
Rarr... Zombos (Competitive, Need Help)

Could use some help refining this deck. The curve seems a bit high (maybe not). I'm a green player at heart, so I don't know much about Dimir, especially concerning removal spells/other staples.
What's your opinion about Rooftop Storm? I feel like it's really good, but slow. I would include it, but it doesn't do anything with The Scarab God's ability, and oftentimes, my hand is not full enough to justify it as a turn 5-6 play. I feel like I would rather be activating my commander's ability after playing it the previous turn, rather than playing Rooftop Storm and passing  :P.
Thanks in advance!

Soren841

• Decks
Re: [EDH / Commander] Rarr... Zombos (Competitive, Need Help)
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 01:49:07 am »
Tribal decks are not competitive. I would say about 50% of the deck is playable in a competitive table.
Nils is the God I worship

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 04:54:18 am »
So the good news is there is a topic for helping with competitive deck building. Even if your deck isn't going to be at the highest levels, this thread will still help you build a very powerful deck.

https://deckstats.net/forum/index.php/topic,41224.0.html

Which leads to the bad news. Unfortunately, the Scarab God is a very incremental commander, and isn't fast enough for the competitive scene (at least, I haven't seen a list that has come close yet).

So I guess this leads into the question; are you trying to build a competitive deck, or are you trying to build a powerful Scarab God deck?

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 05:17:30 am »
https://deckstats.net/decks/86132/918727-scarab-god-combo-stax-hybrid

This list is a bit old/outdated but if u like the looks of it let me know and I'll update it
Nils is the God I worship

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 11:06:05 pm »
Hmm, I guess I'm trying to build a Scarab God Tribal Zombies deck that is as competitive as possible. That stax deck looks really cool, but my playgroup would probably burn me alive if I try to play anything somewhat stax-like :P.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 11:29:05 pm »
my playgroup would probably burn me alive if I try to play anything somewhat stax-like :P.

Cool, so not a competitive group. Then let's go with as powerful as we can. I'll also need to know what your budget restrictions are.

What you have so far is actually pretty good. You have mana ramp and card advantage, which is a common thing that people forget. So I'll start with the touch-ups.

Land base is pretty good, with a few exceptions. Bojuka Bog, Dimir Aqueduct, and Fetid Pools need to go. You can replace them with City of Brass, Mana Confluence, and Reflecting Pool. I doubt you'll need the grave-hate that Bojuka Bog provides (The Scarab God is already a form of grave-hate), but if you do, use Tormod's Crypt. If you aren't on any sort of budget, look into getting Underground Sea and Ancient Tomb.

For your card advantage, you're forgetting the wheel effects, namely Jace's Archivist, Windfall, and Whispering Madness. Getting your opponents to discard their hands creatures fuels your deck, and you get to draw some cards, while beefing up your graveyard. Speaking of which, don't shy away from mill effects. You won't win the game by milling someone out, but you will still get lots of good stuff for The Scarab God. I would recommend Consuming Aberration and Mesmeric Orb.