deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Modern Horizons Spoilers  (Read 11312 times)

Soren841

• Decks
Modern Horizons Spoilers
« on: March 01, 2019, 02:55:46 pm »
Newly designed cards for modern plus reprints from non modern sets into modern
Nils is the God I worship

Soren841

• Decks
Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 02:56:46 pm »
Currently brewing Horror Tribal

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 10:49:43 pm »
Serra doesn't look too bad and I know it's something that people have been asking to get for quite a while.
This space for rent.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 10:56:43 pm »
She can ult after 1 turn too.. At 4 mana and having a +2 it's pretty deece

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 06:50:32 pm »
Yea, if she makes it a full turn around the table of course you can say that about a lot of PWs.
This space for rent.

burn your face

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 05:39:48 am »
I am wondering what you'all think about how this set will change modern. I heard the professor talking about how there could be things like new powered up versions of cards already in modern, thereby power creeping format staples out. I personally think this would not be good for the format, and I don't think it is very likely. I hope it is intended to help existing decks, especially tier 2-3 ones.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 12:47:35 pm »
I think they'll try to use it to keep the format in balance without having to ban more cards. First time they print something into it that ends up getting banned probably would end the experiment.
This space for rent.

Red_Wyrm

• I'm the boss of the forums.
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 08:08:43 am »
I don't play modern, so I am not too keen on what exactly happens there, but I am certain no one would hurt from more reprints (excepts collectors, but I mean if they're collecting, wouldn't having an "original" copy be cooler than having a copy, if it was only ever printed once.) Oh I hope that made sense.

I think this sounds like a good idea, printing cards directly into modern, so they can more directly impact the modern meta with bannings and without the risk of ruining standard, but why can't we get another ultimate masters, in addition to this modern horizons thing.

Ultimate masters was a good set in my opinion, except for the jacked up price. And from my experience, that is the general consensus among the mtg community.

Do you guys think we'll have to worry about other formats being impacted by this? I know standard will be untouched, literally, but there's commander, legacy, vintage, and probably others I don't know about, all that could be impacted by this.

I feel like in terms of power level standard has the weakest cards, due to limited card pool and yada yada yada, then modern has access to more powerful cards, then there is legacy, and vintage with the most powerful cards. Since Legacy and Vintage have access to powerful cards, I think many things printed into modern won't make the cut in Legacy or Vintage.
My King Baby said yes!
I thought you'd never ask
Also, I always spell your name correctly, Red_Wurm.  :)

Please, it is Red

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 03:52:27 pm »
The Master sets were getting worse and worse with each new one. The last one, unless you got a good box-topper, you most likely got nowhere near value for your purchase and were better off just buying singles with the higher price point.

Pretty sure the sales went progressively down.
This space for rent.

bradcoish23

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 04:47:52 pm »
I found it very interesting that these two cards were chosen as the first of the set. Both great card designs. Cabal Therapists is an excellent balance of playable card and flavor. Serra has the nostalgia factor mixed with fringe playability.

I think this is the perfect way to go for the set, to introduce cards that will have a home in fringe decks and/or have lots of flavor. Stay away from format altering cards. Just give cards that people can test with in tier 2/3 decks and give us a few answers to problem cards. Throw in a few cool reprints and you have a solid set.

With all that said I'm waiting for the big splashy card(s). Totally broken reprints that drive sales and get people talking. It's just the WotC way. As suggested by many, I expect to see Force of Will (I'm just thinking of the use of JtMS in Masters). It just makes a lot of sense from a sales and marketing standpoint.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 07:42:19 pm »
What has me the most curious is what non-Modern legal cards it is that they're reprinting to be Modern legal.
This space for rent.

Red_Wyrm

• I'm the boss of the forums.
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2019, 07:49:15 pm »
The Master sets were getting worse and worse with each new one. The last one, unless you got a good box-topper, you most likely got nowhere near value for your purchase and were better off just buying singles with the higher price point.

In my experience people were getting their money back. I and all my friends who purchased one did. The professor played the booster box game and was able to get his money back like 6 or 7 times before losing money. I still think every master set should've been like ultimate masters in terms of content. The increase in price was unnecessary. 10 dollars a pack was pleanty. The box topper was a nice concept, but I think it should've been gravey on top of the expensive product. Instead it seemed like that calculated the price point based on you getting one extra mythic.
My King Baby said yes!
I thought you'd never ask
Also, I always spell your name correctly, Red_Wurm.  :)

Please, it is Red

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2019, 08:11:00 pm »

In my experience people were getting their money back. I and all my friends who purchased one did. The professor played the booster box game and was able to get his money back like 6 or 7 times before losing money. I still think every master set should've been like ultimate masters in terms of content. The increase in price was unnecessary. 10 dollars a pack was pleanty. The box topper was a nice concept, but I think it should've been gravey on top of the expensive product. Instead it seemed like that calculated the price point based on you getting one extra mythic.

He opened 6 boxes that he got his money back on. Four of which he only got his money back because of the box-toppers (two of which I believe were Tarmogoyf). A lot of LGS' were selling them for less than the MSRP by the Monday after they came out due to low sales.

edit- spelling
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 08:20:15 pm by WWolfe »
This space for rent.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2019, 12:31:23 am »
Astral Drift
2W
Enchantment
Whenever you cycle Astral Drift or cycle another card while Astral Drift is on the battlefield, you may exile target creature. Return that creature to the battlefield under its owner's control at the beginning of the next end step.

Cycling 2W (2W, Discard this card: Draw a card.)

Also Flusterstorm

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2019, 12:59:31 pm »
Astral Drift looks interesting.
This space for rent.