deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Deckbuilder Update: Card grouping and main deck subsection improvements  (Read 9324 times)

Nils

• Decks
I have just made some updates to how we handle card grouping and main deck subsections (card categories) in our deckbuilder. The idea is to make the grouping and regrouping of cards in the main deck a bit more intuitive and also improve the underlying code.

In practice, everything should continue to work as it used to except there are some additional features. However, since these changes are relatively extensive you may encounter some bugs. If you do, please let me know here, on Twitter or via direct message.

The main difference to before is that the "card grouping" setting in the deckbuilder now only affects how your deck is displayed, not how it is saved internally. This means that the deckbuilder will no longer remove your custom subsections when you choose to group your deck in some way.

For example, if you put some cards in a subsection called "Awesome cards" but then select "Group by color" when saving your deck, the old system would have removed that subsection and just put all the cards together in the main deck. With the new system, when you edit your deck later, you can still see your original custom subsections. You can also always choose to view your deck grouped by the custom subsections using the View menu.

In addition, I have also made some further changes to make the deckbuilder easier to use:
  • We now use the term "subsection" instead of "section", to make it clear that cards in them are still part of the main deck.
  • When you delete a subsection the cards in it are now moved to the general main deck rather than deleted
  • There is a new "Remove all subsections" button that moves all your cards to the general main deck
  • The comment and override fields in the Edit card dialog are collapsed by default, to save a bit of space on mobile
  • The "Default card grouping" option on the settings page has been extended to support all the options available

Zombo

• Patron
  • Decks
I took a quick look and the results look awesome! Great work!
I also tested the "Remove all subsections" button and it works. On the deck I tested, I had no subsections yesterday, so it seems like you changes introduced the subsections in the first place. Nice.

Now could you also add a button, to add subsections for decks that only consist of the main section? Like in My EDH deck, I really like the "Type (extended)" and would like to switch to that grouping, so I will not only see it in the Details overview?

Nils

• Decks
I took a quick look and the results look awesome! Great work!
I also tested the "Remove all subsections" button and it works. On the deck I tested, I had no subsections yesterday, so it seems like you changes introduced the subsections in the first place. Nice.

Now could you also add a button, to add subsections for decks that only consist of the main section? Like in My EDH deck, I really like the "Type (extended)" and would like to switch to that grouping, so I will not only see it in the Details overview?
Thank you for letting me know!

Regarding your suggestion - do you mean you would also like to see that grouping in the deckbuilder at the bottom, not just in the Overview/Details tabs?

dylanreid

• Decks
Not sure if this is the right place to post a bug (or at least unexpected functionality), but: when I group by Color it will put some Lands under Multicolor. For example, I would expect to see a Baleful Strix under Multicolor (which I do) and a Polluted Delta under Lands (which I do); however Watery Grave is under Multicolor instead of Lands which is certainly unexpected.

Thanks for all the hard work!

Soren841

• Decks
It's because the color identity of Watery Grave is UB
Nils is the God I worship

dylanreid

• Decks
Seems plausible, but why isn't something like Ancient Tomb under the Colorless section then? Why even have a "Lands" section when sorting by Color?

trinketstone

• Decks
I really like it!
Can I suggest for a future update to include a filter for the EDH recommendations, where you can filter out expensive or cheap upgrades? I don't know how hard that would be, but EDHREC does have a few filters like that built in, so the coding might not be too severe? Or am I wrong?

Soren841

• Decks
Because there isn't a colorless color identity. Tomb just has no color identity

dylanreid

• Decks
Because there isn't a colorless color identity. Tomb just has no color identity

Then why is "Colorless" a category when sorting by Color? Probably "Land" (a Card Type, not a Color) should be placed into the Colorless category.

Soren841

• Decks
It just be like that sometimes. Welcome to Magic.

dylanreid

• Decks
Re: Deckbuilder Update: Card grouping and main deck subsection improvements
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 06:03:39 pm »
It just be like that sometimes. Welcome to Magic.

Thanks for being condescending, just trying to offer an opinion on unexpected behavior.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 06:04:52 pm »
You have to actively attempt to be offended if you found that condescending

kytmagic

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2019, 07:35:41 pm »
Apologies if this has been requested but for the standard types of Lands, Spells and Creatures, could there be an option in the profile to maybe select our preferred order?

Right now it goes Lands -> Spells -> Creatures.

vbpatel88

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2019, 01:12:11 am »
Big fan of the changes. One of the things I was looking for would be being able to place cards in multiple groups.

More like a tag on cards rather than subsections perhaps. That way if a card can count as both Card Draw and Removal, I'm not having to pick one category and then add an extra of the other because the ratios were seemingly off

Chandrahas

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2020, 03:28:25 pm »
Hi Nils, nice work,

I have a suggestion. When I have searched for a certain deck and checked it out and then press on the back button to go to the list of decks that came out of the search based on my criteria, I return to a blanc search. So if i would like to check out another deck from the same search i will have to do the search again. It seems to me that performing the exact same search again will only cost server performance whichs should not have to if the initial search result would be accesable again. Maybe the search result is stored on the server and I just don't know. Do you Understand?

Kind regards
Chandrahas