deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Converted Mana Cost of Planeswalkers in War of the Spark Release  (Read 1102 times)

iamfat322

• Decks
Re: Converted Mana Cost of Planeswalkers in War of the Spark Release
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2019, 02:48:41 am »
1) Planeswalkers in this set will definitely be less powerful than other planeswalkers we've seen, atleast most of them that is. This is because R&D doesn't want the influx of 36 planeswalkers absolutely destroying the standard metagame resulting in like 20 bannings or something. My guess is that the power level will be better than the planeswalker deck versions of planeswalkers but not nearly as good as the 10+ dollar planeswalkers we have now.
2) Have fun buying packs. If the planeswalkers are bad the packs could be the price of a masters set or even the normal 4$ but I expect it to be more like Ultimate Masters just because there (from what we've seen so far) is a higher chance of getting something sick with the planeswalker in every pack thing.
3) Superfriends in limited? All that would have to happen is one of the people to your left or right are only running 2 colors so you get passed some planeswalkers.

I just hope Wizards finds a good balance between power and still keep the prices down for us casual players :)

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2019, 06:28:03 am »
My guess is a lot of 3-4 cmc Planeswalkers and a lot of power behind them.  They have been building up to this set for a while now with the Gatewatch.  Ravnica, Innistrad, Kaledesh, Ahmonket, Ixalan... YEARS of story build up, to a climatic confrontation.  So I think there will be a lot of Planeswalker support and Planeswalker kill spells as well.  Legends designed specifically to eliminate a Planeswalker in specific circumstances.  I think all the spells that aren't Planeswalkers will be tied in to one or more of the Planeswalkers via flavor text or artwork.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2019, 02:47:45 pm »
I seriously doubt that the packs will be more than the usual $4, going with Ultimate Master prices for a Standard set would be absolutely stupid. Especially if the PW's aren't very powerful.
This space for rent.

TolueneCat

• Decks
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2019, 04:20:17 pm »
Dearly hoping that some of these can be Commanders. I can dream, right?

PWs I really really want but will probably never see:

transforming Arlinn with werewolf support
Ravi
Mishra
Serra (I know we have one, but please spoil me with another)
an artifacts-matter Tamiyo

edit: that said, i'm guessing 4.5 or so on average for CMCs. maybe one or two outliers on either side, but really crazy low CMC planeswalkers seem to have fallen flat (tibalt)

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2019, 04:25:21 pm »
Dearly hoping that some of these can be Commanders. I can dream, right?

Hmm.. what about an arrangement about this in your playgroup?

About the cmc, I'll tink we will see alot 3-6 Mana PW. Mark Rosewater already said that he was displeased about the cmc 2 tibald and that it was a bad idea to create a cmc 2 PW just to proof they are able to.
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.

TolueneCat

• Decks
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2019, 04:50:11 pm »
Mark Rosewater already said that he was displeased about the cmc 2 tibald and that it was a bad idea to create a cmc 2 PW just to proof they are able to.

Mechanically, it makes sense to keep them above 2. Lore-wise, it fits as well considering planeswalkers are pretty strong.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2019, 08:10:44 pm »
I don't think they'll ever print PW's in Standard that have the "can be your commander" line.
This space for rent.

bradcoish23

• Decks
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2019, 05:45:32 pm »
I'm wondering how this is going to shape up for standard. The format is in a really good place right now, not sure flooding it with planeswalkers is the right move. The format tends to be at its best when PW's are at a minimum.

On the flip side, if the goal is to do a ton of watered down PW's does that take some of the shine off them moving forward.

I think doing them as masterpieces would be cool, but to have them in the main set is risky business.