deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Poll

Should people flick their cards during a game of Magic?

Flicking cards
8 (40%)
Not flicking cards
12 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: March 21, 2019, 11:13:50 pm

Author Topic: Flicking cards  (Read 2127 times)

zacem

• Decks
Flicking cards
« on: March 14, 2019, 11:13:50 pm »
What are people opinions on flicking cards during a game of Magic?
I think I set up the poll right, if not please tell me what I did wrong.

Mostlynotgay

• It's really not THAT impressive
    • Mostlynotgay Videos
  • Decks
Re: Flicking cards
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 11:28:21 pm »
I fully agree with the professor.  I think it's aggravating and pointless. 
Youtube Videos: Mostlynotgay

"You're such a f*ggot for playing that in multiplayer" - Opponent when I played Confusion in the Ranks

Modern >

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 11:35:00 pm »
Like flicking your own?
Nils is the God I worship

zacem

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 11:43:19 pm »
You can take the question however you want it. It can be why you like flicking your cards, or what it means as a community or anything you have to say on the subject.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 11:51:08 pm »
But like flicking your cards in hand or touching other people's cards? Not really sure I understand

zacem

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 11:54:34 pm »
I see, sorry.
I mean when a player looks through their hand by taking 1 card and "flicking" it to change its position in their hand. This makes a sound that is hard to describe. Lots of people do it to look through their hand without letting their opponent know what cards they are looking at.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 11:58:00 pm »
Oh you mean shuffling your hand?

zacem

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 12:00:36 am »
Yes, I have heard it called that.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2019, 12:03:17 am »
Ah alright.. I mean why not though? Personally I hold my cards in order but if someone wants to shuffle whatever. It does have multiple advantages and it can be fidgeting too

zacem

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2019, 12:12:18 am »
I don't have a problem with my opponents doing it, I have learned to tune it out. I used to flick my cards, but it would put a lot of stress on my wrist. After an FNM, my wrist would hurt so much I couldn't shuffle my deck the next day. After realizing this, I started just laying my cards face down during my opponents turn to give my hands a break and now I can play Magic for longer durations.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2019, 01:12:25 am »

Red_Wyrm

• I'm the boss of the forums.
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 03:42:52 am »
Imagine if you are playing a game of chess, which requires a lot of skill and concentration, not unlike magic, and your opponent is constantly tapping on the table, snapping etc. to make noise. Not necessarily to mess with you, but because some people can't sit still. I would (and do) find it annoying regardless of their intentions. Personally I don't pay attention to a card that someone has  been holding onto for the entire game. If I bounce a card to their hand, I'll notice that I haven't seen it again, so it is still there, but I don't actively pay attention to what cards they're holding onto, and I don't think many people in the casual or FMN levels of magic do, so there isn't really any strategic gain by doing it aside from annoying your opponent if that is what you are going for. I would easily mess up a complex combo even if I know it well because of the flicking.

It doesn't need to be done. If you ask them to stop and they don't (not because they instinctively do it, but because they are trying to mess with you), you know what type of game your playing, and I personally wouldn't be having fun. If i'm not having fun, I leave. They can "shuffle" their hand quietly. I usually hold my cards so that I am essentially holding a stack of cards, and I fan them out if I need to. Don't do it as part of your strategy. If you can't beat them playing the game, get better. Don't be a [insert derogatory term of your choosing.]
My King Baby said yes!
I thought you'd never ask
Also, I always spell your name correctly, Red_Wurm.  :)

Please, it is Red

Mostlynotgay

• It's really not THAT impressive
    • Mostlynotgay Videos
  • Decks
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2019, 04:01:49 am »
Imagine if you are playing a game of chess, which requires a lot of skill and concentration, not unlike magic, and your opponent is constantly tapping on the table, snapping etc. to make noise. Not necessarily to mess with you, but because some people can't sit still. I would (and do) find it annoying regardless of their intentions. Personally I don't pay attention to a card that someone has  been holding onto for the entire game. If I bounce a card to their hand, I'll notice that I haven't seen it again, so it is still there, but I don't actively pay attention to what cards they're holding onto, and I don't think many people in the casual or FMN levels of magic do, so there isn't really any strategic gain by doing it aside from annoying your opponent if that is what you are going for. I would easily mess up a complex combo even if I know it well because of the flicking.

It doesn't need to be done. If you ask them to stop and they don't (not because they instinctively do it, but because they are trying to mess with you), you know what type of game your playing, and I personally wouldn't be having fun. If i'm not having fun, I leave. They can "shuffle" their hand quietly. I usually hold my cards so that I am essentially holding a stack of cards, and I fan them out if I need to. Don't do it as part of your strategy. If you can't beat them playing the game, get better. Don't be a [insert derogatory term of your choosing.]

I shuffle my hand constantly while i'm waiting for the opponent to do stuff.  But I do it silently.  and when I play a card down, I do it silently.  when I draw a card, I do it silently.  If it's a nervous tick, fine. But it can be a nervous tick quietly.  idk.  I see no point in it.  I'm convinced, *convinced*, that people only do it to look like they're professional or cool. 
Youtube Videos: Mostlynotgay

"You're such a f*ggot for playing that in multiplayer" - Opponent when I played Confusion in the Ranks

Modern >

Dark Ignitor

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2019, 04:19:35 am »
Also I mean there are other things you can do, even like twiddling your thumbs, because it can just downright break my concentration to hear, "THIP THIP THIP" with your card sleeves over and over.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2019, 11:34:12 am »
Shuffling your hand has some advantages, and distracting your opponent is one of them. If you're playing in like an event, any advantage can be nice lol
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 11:38:02 am by Soren841 »