deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Poll

Should people flick their cards during a game of Magic?

Flicking cards
8 (40%)
Not flicking cards
12 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: March 21, 2019, 11:13:50 pm

Author Topic: Flicking cards  (Read 2109 times)

TolueneCat

• Decks
Re: Flicking cards
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2019, 01:47:57 pm »
I personally don’t have a problem with it. For some it’s a habit/tic, and I get that. If you’re bending the heck out of them, I might feel bad for the cards and sleeves though.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2019, 03:12:24 pm »
Honestly I don't even notice when people do it anymore. It annoys me more when playing casually at the shop people have earbuds in and then you have to explain to them everything that happened while they weren't paying attention. I've gotten to the point I'll just tell them it's not my job to catch them up if they weren't paying attention.
This space for rent.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2019, 05:26:56 pm »
It annoys me more when [...] people have earbuds in and then you have to explain to them everything that happened while they weren't paying attention.

That's a thing that happens? That's pretty rude.

zacem

• Decks
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2019, 05:42:13 pm »
It annoys me more when [...] people have earbuds in and then you have to explain to them everything that happened while they weren't paying attention.

In my opinion that defeats the entire point of playing Magic in person. I like playing against actual people, being able to talk about something that we have in common, making jokes about the game. That is the main problem I have with Magic online, you can't effectively talk to your opponent.

zacem

• Decks
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2019, 05:43:46 pm »
That last post didn't come out right, sorry. I am trying to figure out how the more advanced (in my opinion) options work.

Red_Wyrm

• I'm the boss of the forums.
  • Decks
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2019, 09:01:09 pm »
Shuffling your hand has some advantages, and distracting your opponent is one of them. If you're playing in like an event, any advantage can be nice lol

You could hire an ensemble with a dancing monkey to distract your opponent. At some point you arent playing magic anymore.
My King Baby said yes!
I thought you'd never ask
Also, I always spell your name correctly, Red_Wurm.  :)

Please, it is Red

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2019, 09:15:58 pm »
I fail to see the relevance.. shuffling is not that point
Nils is the God I worship

Red_Wyrm

• Decks
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2019, 09:51:37 pm »
I fail to see the relevance.. shuffling is not that point

My point is I dont think it's right to try and throw your opponent off his/her game to win. Personally I would rather win by skill/luck than by being an annoyance. Sure there are sports and such where people try to throw their opponents off, such as a linebacker telling the dude in front of him, I'm gonna hug you and cuddle you. The player wasn't ready for that and might be thrown off when the quarterback starts the play.

If it is football or magic though, I would like to win or lose based solely on the game.

But you admit, an ensemble with a dancing monkey at a magic tournament!! That would be new.
My King Baby said yes!

Please, it is Red

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2019, 10:08:40 pm »
Sure there are sports and such where people try to throw their opponents off, such as a linebacker telling the dude in front of him, I'm gonna hug you and cuddle you. The player wasn't ready for that and might be thrown off when the quarterback starts the play.

Guess what I'm going to do next time I'm about to combo off? Can't cast a counterspell with my arms wrapped around you.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2019, 10:26:38 pm »
Magic is as much about the cards your opponents think you have as the ones you do have..  ;)

Red_Wyrm

• Decks
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2019, 10:48:33 pm »
Sure there are sports and such where people try to throw their opponents off, such as a linebacker telling the dude in front of him, I'm gonna hug you and cuddle you. The player wasn't ready for that and might be thrown off when the quarterback starts the play.

Guess what I'm going to do next time I'm about to combo off? Can't cast a counterspell with my arms wrapped around you.

That was the best response ever. I cannot stop laughing. And you're absolutely right.
My King Baby said yes!

Please, it is Red

Red_Wyrm

• Decks
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2019, 10:50:31 pm »
Magic is as much about the cards your opponents think you have as the ones you do have..  ;)

Yes it is. Personally I don't see a need to shuffle my hand. Some people do and that's fine. My only grip is the insistent noise it makes if my opponent is doing it loudly enough.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 11:25:29 pm by Red_Wyrm »
My King Baby said yes!

Please, it is Red

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2019, 11:21:17 pm »

That's a thing that happens? That's pretty rude.

Yea, some of the younger kids at the shop mainly. They're slowly getting the point as we stop "catching them up" on what's happened while they weren't paying attention.
This space for rent.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2019, 04:45:20 pm »
LOL I voted first without realizing what the subject was a about so I voted yes. Figuring flicking with your finger nail or flicking em across the room, things of that nature.

Flicking cards was because some pro started it and a few other players saw it and in a low tone of voice "whoa that is pretty cool" and they started doing it to. Just like the turn your card sideways in the graveyard to indicate you have a card in exile. Just like writing down life totals on paper, to writing on paper what cards were revealed when they played a duress. Some players can't/won't stay completely focused on the game. So now the flickering comes along and some are bad. Some are so bad it is like they have adhd and are on crack. Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, Flap, and so on... I think are they are going to blow a gasket soon if they keep that up. Then I like when their opponent has some response like destroying a creature of thiers and they flap, flap, flap, flap for like 2-5 minutes delaying the game to say "It happens".

Everytime I see this I think/imagine Beavis playing going Hehehehe Flap, Heheheheh Flap, Heheheheh Flap, "like um" hehehehe flap, "and ummm" hehehe flap, "I am going to" hehehehe flap.. "It happens"

I do something of the opposite though, I do shuffle my hand and then I will place it face down in front of me. I know exactly what my cards are and focus on what you are doing. I know what my next move is going to be when it comes back to my next turn, I know if I have a response in my hand if the time comes. If I know something is going to happen, I won't delay the game 2-5 minutes acting it is like the hardest decision to say "it happens".

A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2019, 04:58:51 pm »
Writing things down is not being unfocused, it's being smart..