deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: EDH staples?  (Read 3105 times)

Leonixious

• Decks
Re: EDH staples?
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2019, 07:36:35 am »
I would say that Fellwar Stone is a definite must for my 5-color decks and some of my 4-color decks. However, unless the deck deals in casting/playing my opponent's cards and paying for them, I don't usually put it in any 3 or less color decks.

Fellwar Stone and Exotic Orchard tend to be ignored by newer players, but experienced players know that they are amazing. Even in 2-color decks, Fellwar Stone is a staple. You have to remember that this is a multiplayer format, so chances are that the colors you are playing are being played somewhere else at the table. Also, lands like City of Brass, Forbidden Orchard, and Rupture Spire (for more casual players) are common, and any one of those lands gives Fellwar Stone access to all 5 colors.

In my meta, there are a lot of people who run more casual decks, and a few who run competitive. I, for one, have a Competitive Mono-Green Selvala, Heart of the Wilds deck that consistently goes infinite in any number of ways turn 4-5. And along with myself, several players at my LGS play mono color and 2 color decks, so the Mana Fixing possibility is lower when playing in Pods.

I'm not trying to dispute that Fellwar Stone has value, I just personally do not use them unless I can guarantee that Mana Fix, or my combos don't really care about the Mana it produces. That's just my personal play style and the Meta I play in.

P.S. I've been playing Magic for the past 22 years (23 this June).
Unpopular opinion: Mono-White is NOT the weakest color.

Red_Wyrm

• I'm the boss of the forums.
  • Decks
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2019, 09:47:26 am »
Maybe my meta is unusual for a somewhat more casual than competitive one, but rainbow lands are fairly common in my meta.

I love playing fellwar stone and exotic orchard, and I usually dont have a problem with the color of mana. At worst it is like a rampant growth restricted to wastes.

I would have to agree that my playgroup sees pleanty of duals and tri lands. Not so much rainbow lands though. Although I personally think mana confluence should go in every 2+ color deck. City of brass as well, but I own the former as opposed to the latter, so I use the confluence.
My King Baby said yes!
I thought you'd never ask
Also, I always spell your name correctly, Red_Wurm.  :)

Please, it is Red

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2019, 05:06:46 pm »
I, for one, have a Competitive Mono-Green Selvala, Heart of the Wilds deck that consistently goes infinite in any number of ways turn 4-5. And along with myself, several players at my LGS play mono color and 2 color decks, so the Mana Fixing possibility is lower when playing in Pods.

If you're playing mono-coloured decks, I can get why you wouldn't use Fellwar Stone (especially in mono-green of all colors). But in decks of more than one colour, you should use it. Even if it only gives one of your colours, it is still worth running. Take for example, this Muldrotha, the Gravetide deck you're so fond of. The odds of your three opponents only using red and white is unlikely.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2019, 03:14:11 pm »
What about Strip Mine & Maze of Ith?

Probably depends on the meta but I see a lot of Strip Mine/Ghost Quarter/Wasteland in my meta due to the abundance of Gaea's Cradle, Cabal Coffers, etc..
This space for rent.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2019, 03:20:46 pm »
Not as much anymore with like Assassin's Trophy and stuff
Nils is the God I worship

Red_Wyrm

• I'm the boss of the forums.
  • Decks
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2019, 05:23:35 am »
What about Strip Mine & Maze of Ith?

Probably depends on the meta but I see a lot of Strip Mine/Ghost Quarter/Wasteland in my meta due to the abundance of Gaea's Cradle, Cabal Coffers, etc..

Oh yeah Maze of Ith goes in almost all of my decks, and conversely my opponents all seem to have a ghost quarter. I run wasteland, but that's only because I found one just sitting in a binder I had. I'd run strip mine over it/ in addition to if I had one.
My King Baby said yes!
I thought you'd never ask
Also, I always spell your name correctly, Red_Wurm.  :)

Please, it is Red

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2019, 06:49:55 am »
I find that the land destruction lands are only worth using if you have lands in your meta worth removing. Something like The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2019, 03:56:47 pm »
I use to find them necessary in every deck in my previous meta. This one I run one Strip Mine effect to deal with certain lands, Maze of Ith I only have in one deck but it's a pillow fort deck.
This space for rent.