deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [EDH / Commander] Narset budget cEDH  (Read 755 times)

Achilles777

• Decks
[EDH / Commander] Narset budget cEDH
« on: March 19, 2019, 08:54:19 pm »
Narset budget cEDH

I am attempting to make a cEDH deck that is slightly budget (not trying to drop the $$ on mox's/grim monolith and such). Short of a mana drain and force of will which I feel are must have's, im not sure what else I can do to make this deck more efficient. Naru and Dualcaster are in there for the opportunity to create an infinite loop of either release to the wind+aetherflux reservoir combo, arieal acrobatics to draw my whole deck, or ghostly flicker for infinite mana. I included basalt+rings of brighthearth as well for more infinite mana. The goal of the deck is to make copies of and grind through extra turn spells until I can find either aetherflux reservoir or jaya's immolating inferno or potentially burn everyone out with a fight with fire+thousand year storm combo. If it isnt evident, this is my first attempt at a cEDH deck. Your advise is greatly appreciated.

Soren841

• Decks
Nils is the God I worship

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Re: [EDH / Commander] Narset budget cEDH
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 11:19:50 pm »
This is definitely a good start. You're building extra turn Narset, we just need to fix up a few things. Namely, the gameplan, and then the win condition.

Your top priority with Narset is casting her as soon as possible. Because you have a bunch of extra turn/extra combat spells, you could very well win the game by having Narset attack once. So you need to cast her fast, and preferably give her haste (she has hexproof, so she can easily survive a turn cycle). For mana ramp, keep all of the stuff that is 2 mana or less. You'll also want to try to get Jeweled Amulet, Mind Stone, and Generator Servant. Although they might break your budget, try to also include Mana Vault and Chrome Mox. For haste enablers, Need for Speed is amazing (you don't need lands once Narset is out), and Torch Courier is the creature-based equivalent. Lightning Greaves is a better option than Expedite. Also, did I mention Generator Servant? It's worth mentioning twice.

For win-condition, I don't think you should go with your current strategy with Aetherflux Reservoir. Because both lines require at least one creature (Dualcaster Mage or Naru Meha, Master Wizard) and one of the combo cards in hand. The risk of Narset exiling both of those creatures are too high. Instead, an easier combo involves Approach of the Second Sun, Nexus of Fate, and Beacon of Tomorrows. Because you have so many extra combat/extra turn spells, and many ways of copying them, you will eventually dig into your whole deck. Beacon of Tomorrows, Nexus of Fate, and Approach of the Second Sun will keep shuffling back into your library, so you don't need to worry about decking yourself. Instead, you will eventually draw Approach of the Second Sun (it is very likely that Approach, Nexus, and Beacon will be the last three cards in your deck) and then you can hard-cast it to win the game. This method is already budget, but if you really wanted to improve it, you can include Enter the Infinite (you already have the Omniscience to go with it).

Now your probably wondering what cards you should take out. But instead of me telling you which ones it should be, I want to hear what you think you should remove. This will help with decision making in the future, especially if you plan on making more cEDH decks in the future. If you need advice, check out this thread.
https://deckstats.net/forum/index.php/topic,42562

Achilles777

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 01:53:43 am »
Based on that thread as well as the previous comments decklist and other decklists I have come across, I think Ill have to cut some of the really greedy cards. Also, if I am removing that Naru Meha,  and Dualcaster win con, it would make sense to remove those pieces as well. So, I think I should drop ghostly flicker, release to the wind, acrobatics maneuver,  naru meha, master wizard, dualcaster mage, sunbird's invocation, gilded lotus, fight with fire, probably taigam, ojutai master since he doesnt really aid the main plan, dissolve, aetherflux reservoir, sword of feast and famine. I imagine the planeswalker suite might also be a bit too greedy so Ill have likely need to drop elspeth, sun's champion, gideon jura, jaya ballard, ral zarek, probably saheeli rai as well as teferi, temporal archmage. Id like to keep thousand-year storm, primal amulet, and pyromancer's goggles because they add to the spell copying but I'm not married to it I suppose. I think some cards that I will likely add in off the bat are mental misstep, lightning greaves, mind stone, generator servant, torch courier, bloodlust inciter, goblin motivator approach of the second sun, beacon of tomorrows, enter the infinite, path to exile, counterspell, mystical tutor, azorius signet and izzet signet,rouge's passage, mystic remora and ive never heard of jeweled amulet, but looking at it, it seems like a decent include. What about coldsteel heart?. Chrome mox has been on my radar, I know its really good, so I may see what I can do and same with mana vault. I have some trade fodder so maybe I can make that work for me. I really appreciate your feedback. If you have the time, let me know what your thoughts are with the cuts and additions

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 04:36:13 pm »
Yeah, those are all good options to add. Not so sure about Pyromancer's Goggles, because you often don't pay mana for the extra combat spells. All of the cards you chose to add are good, but I could have sworn you already had some of them. I also think that Coldsteel Heart would work fine.

So build this deck, test it out, and tell me how it goes.

Achilles777

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 05:16:28 pm »
I was finally able to test this list out about a week ago against Momir Vig, Simic Visionary hack, Breya, Etherium Shaper and Rafiq of the Many and I have to say, she really purred. I won all 3 matches with Approach of the Second Sun, which was fantastic. Generator Servant is great, as you stated. I ended up dropping the pyromancer's goggles. I really appreciate all input.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 04:57:21 am »
That's impressive. Normally when I ask people to follow up, I'm expecting that we'll need to make some meta adjustments, but it sounds like you're dominating your meta.

So don't tell your playgroup, but the counters to Narset aren't that difficult. Peacekeeper completely stops her, while Stranglehold stops the extra turns. Rule of Law and Eidolon of Rhetoric stop you from chaining up extra turns and combats. If ever you need help in the future, just let me know.

Achilles777

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 10:05:07 pm »

Revision 6

Added/removed cards:
-1 Chaos Warp
+1 Pyroblast