deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: EDH players- what's your best deck?  (Read 2723 times)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
EDH players- what's your best deck?
« on: March 26, 2019, 01:35:37 pm »
So which deck is your best deck? Why do you consider it your best deck? Higher than normal win %, most outside the box deck, deck that guarantees the most fun play experience?

For me it's my Sidisi, Brood Tyrant deck. It hits both the higher than normal win % and deck that guarantees the most fun play experience marks. I track my wins and losses with each deck and it wins a little over 42% of the time and does so in a number of ways (Aphetto Alchemist + Mesmeric Orb with Sidisi out, Gravecrawler + Phyrexian Altar + one of the Blood Artist effects with another zombie out, straight swarm, among a few others). I can play it 5 times in a session, likely win 2-3 of them and do so in a different way each time. Several of the people in my normal play circle enjoy playing against it to see if they can beat it.
This space for rent.

Sliverking

• Decks
Re: EDH players- what's your best deck?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 01:48:39 pm »
My best deck is probably by Tatyova, Benthic Druid deck.  Mana ramp, bounce spells and land searching.  Then it ends with legions of krakens, leviathans and sea creatures.  It's the first deck I really pulled out all the stops when building, and I feel the most pride in the deck. 
Plays 4 player EDH games against himself.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 02:32:05 pm »
Vannifar
Nils is the God I worship

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 04:15:53 pm »
Best Deck: Captain Sisay. She is fast (consistent turn 4 win), adaptable, and requires a fair amount of skill to play. I first built her as a toolbox stax deck, but she has gradually become more of a combo deck (due to a less powerful meta). To be fair, this was a close call, as Edric, Spymaster of Trest is a powerful control deck, but has trouble with consistency.

Favorite Deck: Krenko, Mob Boss. Mono-red is a huge restriction, so I've had to come up with some creative ways of getting around those limitations. This was my first Commander deck, and I still have it to this day. I also think it's the best Krenko deck in existence, but that's just me being pretentious.

Most Fun: The Scarab God. I always need to be aware of what's in everyone's graveyard, and I've done some pretty weird plays to avoid board wipes and enchantments. The deck is also very incremental, so it works fine for more casual metas.

Hardest Build: Vaevictis Asmadi, the Dire. This was kinda my own fault, because I based the deck around Primal Surge, which means 99% of the deck was permanents. But I absolutely insisted on still using instant-speed interaction (In the form of cards like Caustic Caterpillar and Seal of Doom). Also, Vaevictis was a huge target for removal, so protecting him was hard.

I have actual stats I could show for these decks, but I don't think anyone is interested in that.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 12:07:22 am by Morganator 2.0 »

MonteTribal

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 05:22:38 pm »
I'm not a huge EDH player, so my range is a little limited.

Momir Vig, Simic Visionary - combo deck that revolves around tapping Experiment Kraj a lot. The deck is mostly ramp spells, then tries to get Kraj out right before my turn so it can tap. It tends to just go infinite in a bunch of weird ways.

Krenko, Mob Boss - pulls this at the M13 prerelease and have been running it ever since. Wins by going wide and pinging things. Doesn't *need* Krenko but definitely helps it perform faster.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 05:25:48 pm »
I have actual stats I could show for these decks, but I don't think anyone is interested in that.

I wouldn't mind seeing them.
This space for rent.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 07:54:45 pm »

I wouldn't mind seeing them.

Someone is interested?

This makes me happy! My favorite thing about Deckstats is the stats!

Before I show it to you I need to explain expected win percentage. It is the sum of my base chance of winning for every game with that commander, and then divided by the games played by that commander. So if it's a three player game the base chance is 0.33, a four player game is 0.25, a five player game is 0.20, etc. For example, Lavinia played in a 3 player game, a 4 player game, and a five player game. (0.33+0.25+0.20)/3= 0.26 or 26%. I should also mention that some of these commanders (namely Kynaios and Tiro, Krenko, and Edric) frequently play in games of 5 to 7 players, but secret partners are involved. In some cases they won with a helping hand, but the expected win percentage was adjusted accordingly.

Now for the data! I started recording stats back in 2017, but it was only for the cEDH league at my local game store. Now that the league has gone belly-up, I'm recording all games that I play. This is the current 2019 data.

CommanderWinsLosesGames playedWin percentageExpected win percentage
Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis10010100%29%
Edric, Spymaster of Trest61786%33%
Krenko, Mob Boss53863%32%
Captain Sisay651155%30%
The Scarab God981753%29%
Mishra, Artificer Prodigy5101533%26%
Lavinia, Azorius Renegade0330%26%
Overall41307158%29%

NOTES:
  • All of these decks were used against decks with the same approximate power level. I never play decks like Sisay and Edric against casual decks.
  • Lavinia was in a bad meta to operate. I designed her to work well against competitive combo decks, but she gets smashed by casual creature decks, so I took her apart.
  • Kynaios and Tiro on the other hand, I have no idea why it's doing so good. It's a weak combo deck that wins with Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker and either Pestermite or Felidar Guardian. I think is has to do with my opponents not leaving up removal spells for when combo turn comes around. And not playing any form of stax.
  • My overall win rate is double what is expected. I keep trying to figure out why this is (if stuff like where I play at, the number of players in a game, or the decks I go against is having an effect), but I've come up with nothing. I'm pretty sure it's just because I'm a good player.
  • Great... I sound pretentious again.

So I guess, by looking at the data... Kynaios and Tiro is my best deck.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 02:02:31 am by Morganator 2.0 »

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 11:44:58 pm »
While I haven't tracked stacks on them, my most fun deck is:
https://deckstats.net/decks/75927/602438--edh-armed-masses/en

I have had opponents mock me the first time they play against Anafenza, then I watch in amused mirth as they get rolled under the hordes.  The deck has had a few small upgrades since I last updated the list, but in a nutshell, an army of pseudo-or-actual vigilance, every growing creatures makes me a lot harder target, especially when I can boardwipe creatures post combat at no creature loss.  I don't know why Anafenza is viewed as an ineffective general, but I become a target very quickly with her on the field.

Now as to my best deck, this one has enough of a reputation that I become a kill on sight target when they see the general.

https://deckstats.net/decks/75927/695226-edh-mental-overload-nekusar-/en

Need to put in a Grafted Exoskeleton, a few cards left to acquire for total lich evilness, but I started playing Nekusar as a general when he first came out and everyone thought he was a nice sidecard. 

A deck I am working on is led by Thraximundar, and is a deck focused on "please kill my creatures."  Just got a few cards for infinite sacrifice loop.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2019, 12:33:20 am »
Morganator.. the problem with Kynaios is that it's not a cEDH deck and not in a cEDH meta. This plus table politics definitely skews the estimated win % and stuff in ways you can't really control or predict.. welcome to casual Magic.

HowlingLotus

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019, 01:39:10 am »
My Best & Favourite is The Locust God. I don't have the numbers offhand, but I would say it wins more often than it loses by a fair margin. This is speaking in terms of casual and no one bringing super expensive decks to the table (no one has alpha cards or power 9, etc.). I've only played my new Rakdos, the Showstopper deck once, but already had a blast. I don't think it will take overtake TLG anytime soon, but it left a fun first impression.

https://deckstats.net/decks/81091/847493-locust-god-swarm

https://deckstats.net/decks/81091/1246062-rakdos-circus-of-rng
Mainly play Casual Multiplayer and EDH.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2019, 01:51:03 am »
the problem with Kynaios is that it's not a cEDH deck and not in a cEDH meta.

This is something I've worried about. I was always fine when the competitive league was running, because I knew that everyone was playing the deck as best as possible. The data also shows this a little. You'll notice that my competitive decks (Krenko, Edric, Sisay) have higher win rates than my casual decks (Scarab God, Mishra, K&T), with one exception. And that one exception is bothering me. It is quite possible that K&T is too powerful for most casual metas, but it never feels like a landslide victory, like it sometimes does with Sisay or Edric.

This plus table politics definitely skews the estimated win % and stuff in ways you can't really control or predict.

These don't affect the expected value. In the same way that I'm expected to get heads 50% of the time on a coin flip, or I'm expected to roll a 6 on a die 16.7% of the time, I'm expected to win a four-player game of commander 25% of the time assuming that me winning is determined by chance alone. Things that affect the outcome could be a coin with two heads, a loaded die, or politics in commander; things outside the factors of chance.

But when most of my win ratios close to double what is expected, something is up. Not chance, but other factors, like deck-building, certain metas, politics, or just being a skilled commander player. 

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2019, 02:00:15 am »
Yes but politics are huge in casual and u cant predict or assume them.. sometimes theyre completely unrelated to the actual game

Red_Wyrm

• I'm the boss of the forums.
  • Decks
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2019, 03:24:48 am »
Yes but politics are huge in casual and u cant predict or assume them.. sometimes theyre completely unrelated to the actual game

This is absolutely true. I've been attacked for making a lord windgrace deck before my friend did, and so he can't do it. We try to avoid building around the same commander in our group. I've also killed people because they took too damn long in the bathroom. If you're an engineer, I might target you first.
My King Baby said yes!
I thought you'd never ask
Also, I always spell your name correctly, Red_Wurm.  :)

Please, it is Red

Leonixious

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2019, 09:29:08 am »
My all time favorite/best deck I've built would be my Muldrotha Toolbox deck...
https://deckstats.net/decks/121107/1162616-muldrotha-toolbox/en

If you check out the deck page, I've outlined all the Combos and Synergies with the deck. The Deck, within my playgroup and LGS, Won 85% of the time (Out of 50 consecutively tracked games).

Unpopular opinion: Mono-White is NOT the weakest color.

Ylhyssia

• I love deck-building :3
  • Decks
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2019, 01:26:13 pm »
My best Deck is my Lazav, the Multifarious Voltron deck: https://deckstats.net/decks/113264/1165882-lazavicious-voltron/en

Average CMC is 2.5, it has 8 tutors, a crazy amount of looting to dig through my deck as fast as possible, and the commander is super hard to remove. It's fast, resilient, deadly. I just love it. It's not exactly competitive, I'd have to change it to a combo deck that can kill the whole table for that, but this deck can make me archenemy and people are scared to play against it.

My Favorite deck is my Teysa deck, which I've recently built: https://deckstats.net/decks/113264/1206082-whealth-debt-death-teysa-orzho/en

Average CMC is 2.8, and it was probably one of the most difficult deck to build; there's lots of good cards for Teysa, and lots of good high-CMC cards I was tempted to add, while I also had to keep an appropriate ratio of sac outlets, sac fodder and pay-offs.

The deck went through a LOT of changes and choices had to be made. Though I gotta say, after a fair amount of play-testing I'm really happy with how the deck is shaping up. It has a lot of early-game plays, generates tons of value, it has answers to threats and can go infinite fairly easily, though this can be avoided when playing more casual games. I also did my best to compensate for Orzhov's weaknesses (draw/ramp) and due to this the deck feels very smooth to play.