English-language Forums > Commander Discussion

Would You Guys Keep This Hand?

(1/7) > >>

Red_Wyrm:
Okay let's say you have three lands in your opening hand: Command Tower, Terramorphic expanse (I'm poor) and a Blood Crypt
Then you have four big bombs in your hand: Omniscience, Nicol Bolas, Plansewalker, Prince of Thralls and Grave Titan

The commander is Thraximundar, so once you use terramorphic expanse, you have all three colors.

So usually I would keep a hand with three lands, especially with all of my colors, but I don't have any mana rocks or anything to play once I have dropped all my lands, not even my commander. It is not like I am 1 mana short of casting a spell and need one land in the next 4 draws, my smallest casting cost is 6 mana. (Grave Titan) so I need to either draw into more lands or mana rocks or other cards I can cast for three mana.

So this was a hand I was dealt on the "starting hand" tab of a deck I made here on deckstats, and my next three draws were in order: Temple of Malice, crumbling necropolis and Izzet signet, so I think it would have paid off, but without knowing my next draws, where do we stand?

What if I had say a mountain in my hand instead of Prince of Thralls?

Morganator 2.0:
I would not.

Because all your spells are expensive, you are starting the game in top-deck mode. Which is never good.

Personally (in commander) I generally don't keep a hand that has no mana ramp.

WWolfe:
No, I wouldn't even think about it. No plays in your hand before t6 and no ramp. Like Morganator said, you're in top deck mode from your first turn.

Edit- it probably wouldn't have paid off to keep it based on the sample draw of the next three cards you listed. You would have shuffled after searching with Terramorphic Expanse so those subsequent draws would have been different.

Red_Wyrm:

--- Quote from: WWolfe on April 12, 2019, 01:36:30 am ---No, I wouldn't even think about it. No plays in your hand before t6 and no ramp. Like Morganator said, you're in top deck mode from your first turn.

Edit- it probably wouldn't have paid off to keep it based on the sample draw of the next three cards you listed. You would have shuffled after searching with Terramorphic Expanse so those subsequent draws would have been different.

--- End quote ---

This is an absolutely valid point, and I 100% understand.

But my deck is just as randomly shuffled before terramorphic expanse as after it, so when I am using this feature on deckstats I tend to ignore the shuffle clause and assume my deck was shuffled.

I was on the fence about this hand, but clearly that is wrong. It is just a bad hand in general.

Loggiu:
you're in top deck mode

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version