English-language Forums > General Magic

What was your worst misplay?

(1/7) > >>

LordDarkura:
For me, there has been several times where I just... forgot I had removal in had and let someone combo off.

What about you guys?

MonteTribal:
I have this terrible habit of just forgetting I Suspended an Ancestral Visions a few turns ago.

Vensa4790:
I was at an SCG and we were one of the last matches still playing. My opponent was on Jund, I was Jeskai control. He had just attacked with a twice pumped raging ravine and I was without a path to exile. My turn comes around and I draw the path. I was so happy to draw the one spell that would save me from a lethal double pumped pile of boulders. So when I looked back at the board and saw the lone pile of rocks tapped, I proceeded to slam that path. Now between my opponent not returning his creature land with the rest of his mana after he attacked and my blinding hope that I might be bale to pull this lose from the ashes, I forgot there was no legal for the spell to target. As soon as I had finished casting my spell I had realized my punt and there was nothing I could do but just soak in the puddle of failure I had just spilled from my hand. He lets me return the spell o my hand, not that it mattered now anyway. I pass, he draws a thoughtseize and rips the last shred of hope I had for the match and then buries me under his rumbling mass of boulders. I drop after that as it was the deciding match to be able to continue on in the day and proceed to nurse my wound with a soft pretzel and as much nacho cheese as I felt was needed to cover my shame.

Morganator 2.0:
My worst was in a competitive commander game. To give some context, I was playing Edric, Spymaster of Trest, against Kess, Dissident Mage Storm, Godo, Bandit Warlord Helm, and Jhoira, Weatherlight Captain Storm. So I'm the only control deck against three combo decks.

It's Godo's turn 2, and the only counterspell I have in hand is Mental Misstep. The turn before, Kess had searched for High Tide (a card that can win games in a storm deck), so I figure I'll save the Mental Misstep for that. But then Godo casts Gamble. This was worrisome. Gamble could get any card, so it felt like it was worth countering, but then I wouldn't be able to stop the High Tide. I then though to myself "He's only got one mana left. What could he possibly gamble for that could win him the game right now?" So I let it resolve, and he searches for something.

Godo then goes Mana Crypt, Pyretic Ritual, Treasonous Ogre, pays 33 life to get 11 red mana, casts Godo, Bandit Warlord, puts Helm of the Host in play, and equips it to Godo, getting infinite combat steps.

So yeah, that's what he can do.

After the game, I revealed the Mental Misstep, and everyone lost it. "Morganator! Why?" "Because... The High Tide..."

Soren841:
I would say that wasn't a misplay though.. it was a correct play and you just ended up losing still.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version