deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: What was your worst misplay?  (Read 4177 times)

LordDarkura

• Decks
What was your worst misplay?
« on: April 26, 2019, 04:06:19 pm »
For me, there has been several times where I just... forgot I had removal in had and let someone combo off.

What about you guys?

MonteTribal

• Decks
Re: What was your worst misplay?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 04:32:51 pm »
I have this terrible habit of just forgetting I Suspended an Ancestral Visions a few turns ago.

Vensa4790

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 04:49:02 pm »
I was at an SCG and we were one of the last matches still playing. My opponent was on Jund, I was Jeskai control. He had just attacked with a twice pumped raging ravine and I was without a path to exile. My turn comes around and I draw the path. I was so happy to draw the one spell that would save me from a lethal double pumped pile of boulders. So when I looked back at the board and saw the lone pile of rocks tapped, I proceeded to slam that path. Now between my opponent not returning his creature land with the rest of his mana after he attacked and my blinding hope that I might be bale to pull this lose from the ashes, I forgot there was no legal for the spell to target. As soon as I had finished casting my spell I had realized my punt and there was nothing I could do but just soak in the puddle of failure I had just spilled from my hand. He lets me return the spell o my hand, not that it mattered now anyway. I pass, he draws a thoughtseize and rips the last shred of hope I had for the match and then buries me under his rumbling mass of boulders. I drop after that as it was the deciding match to be able to continue on in the day and proceed to nurse my wound with a soft pretzel and as much nacho cheese as I felt was needed to cover my shame.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 07:12:46 pm »
My worst was in a competitive commander game. To give some context, I was playing Edric, Spymaster of Trest, against Kess, Dissident Mage Storm, Godo, Bandit Warlord Helm, and Jhoira, Weatherlight Captain Storm. So I'm the only control deck against three combo decks.

It's Godo's turn 2, and the only counterspell I have in hand is Mental Misstep. The turn before, Kess had searched for High Tide (a card that can win games in a storm deck), so I figure I'll save the Mental Misstep for that. But then Godo casts Gamble. This was worrisome. Gamble could get any card, so it felt like it was worth countering, but then I wouldn't be able to stop the High Tide. I then though to myself "He's only got one mana left. What could he possibly gamble for that could win him the game right now?" So I let it resolve, and he searches for something.

Godo then goes Mana Crypt, Pyretic Ritual, Treasonous Ogre, pays 33 life to get 11 red mana, casts Godo, Bandit Warlord, puts Helm of the Host in play, and equips it to Godo, getting infinite combat steps.

So yeah, that's what he can do.

After the game, I revealed the Mental Misstep, and everyone lost it. "Morganator! Why?" "Because... The High Tide..."

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 08:33:05 pm »
I would say that wasn't a misplay though.. it was a correct play and you just ended up losing still.
Nils is the God I worship

zacem

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 09:02:55 pm »
My first time playing cycling deck, I had so many triggers whenever I cycled, that I forgot to draw a card.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 11:29:56 pm »
There have been so many to count but a simple one last night at our edh group. I am playing my thantis chaos attack deck. I proceeded to play Portcullis and then went to play Hunted Horror and thought "You dumb dumb you can't play Hunted Horror now with already 4 creatures in play" I should have played Hunted Horror first.
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

Albeer

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2019, 02:55:33 pm »
First time on a small legacy tournament, played manaless dredge in competetive enviroment the first time.
Missed so many Prized Amalgam trigger :O
Stupid delayed triggers... ^^
Took 2. Place in the End
Still mad at me that i lost one game because of missed triggers

In EDH:
Multiple times i forget to drew cards with Daretti, Scrap Savant +2 abbility. So focused on getting stuff in the graveyard :D

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2019, 02:58:38 pm »
 So the misplay was playing manaless dredge right
Nils is the God I worship

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2019, 03:03:22 pm »
Few years ago, playing my Skullbriar deck against a Marath deck of someone that was not very popular at the LGS. I had just enough creatures to block all of my opponents creatures, still live to my next turn and attack for lethal commander damage with Skullbriar (I had Rogue's Passage). He tapped out to make three 4/4 elemental tokens. Which would eat all my blockers and give lethal damage. He then moved to combat and declared attackers. I cast Fog (don't remember why it was even in the deck, think it was just a placeholder). In response he removed counters from Marath to deal lethal to me. I said gg and got up to go smoke. As I was walking out the door someone pointed out that he didn't have the mana open to do so. Since we had already picked our cards up I was just like whatever, gg, we'll play again when I come back in. He packed up and left while I outside despite having said he was there for another few hours.

The misplay was not paying attention to what resources he had available, and probably not my worst misplay but one that still bugs me to this day as he bragged for the next six months how "he cleanly beat me by outsmarting me".
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 03:07:56 pm by WWolfe »
This space for rent.

Albeer

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2019, 03:40:01 pm »
So the misplay was playing manaless dredge right

yeah, seems like it
dont have the budget for a "fair" legacy build (and cant stand burn) ^^

Red_Wyrm

• I'm the boss of the forums.
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2019, 11:50:32 pm »
So I was playing my sen triplets control deck and it was me vs 1 other person playing Boros. They cast a creature that said something along the lines of I cant cast spells on their turn. So I paid 9 mana for a counterspell. With vedalken orrery out I cast Archaeomancer to get my demonic tutor back and get counterspell. They then proceeded to kill me as I was tapped out and couldn't deal with the 21 commander damage that came out of no where with aurelia the warleader. They cast Gisela, Blade of gold night and boros charm giving her double strike and I died as I had no flyers.

I had removal in my hand, but I tapped out for the counterspell. I should've removed aurelia in response to that creature entering and then dealt with that creature on my turn as I had the means to in my hand to do that.
My King Baby said yes!
I thought you'd never ask
Also, I always spell your name correctly, Red_Wurm.  :)

Please, it is Red

Bizarro Soapy

• Squirrel Dealer
  • Decks
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2019, 03:18:38 pm »
I'm guilty of holding a counterspell, but forgetting I have it and left mana open to use it while I watch my opponent's plays.

On another note, I was playing Arena today, and my opponent accidentally targeted his own Planeswalkers with the Elderspell. He had 2 versions of Teferi out, I had no planeswalkers, so I assume he was using the Elderspell to proc a 'when scorcery or instant' effect, and thought he was clicking to assign the counters. Oops.
Don't feed the Hungering Hydra

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2022, 07:06:36 pm »
Gonna revivify this for the sake of embarrassing myself.

I was playing cEDH Captain Sisay. I managed to bring the deck back, just without Paradox Engine. It's a very adaptive stax/combo deck, and I almost always have a solution to any problem in my toolbox.

One of my opponent casts Opposition Agent in response to a different opponent tutoring. To be clear:
  • Captain Sisay, and by extension the deck, is shut down by Opposition Agent.
  • Sisay was untapped at the time and did not have summoning sickness.
  • The counterplay in this situation is for me to grab Kogla, the Titan Ape and then cast it on my turn to take out the agent. Kogla is in the deck for this specific counterplay.
  • There was nothing distracting me. I saw the Opposition Agent, I was given the opportunity to respond.

For some reason, my dumb-dumb brain didn't register "Hey, that thing stops you entirely". I looked at the agent and said "Yeah that's fine." No response.

That opponent finishes their turn. The agent player finishes their turn. On their end step it hits me.

"Wait NO! Damn it!"

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2022, 06:16:26 pm »
I've been playing my force draw EDH Kami of the Crescent Moon for a while now. I never make misplays so I'm going to share something my friend/opponent did.

I was on double Forced Fruition. My opponent didn't have removal in hand so they cast a spell to dig for answers. Good call. They hit a removal spell but were worried that one is not enough since I have two Forced Fruitions out. So they dig for more answers with a cheap spell entirely forgetting that casting the removal spells will also draw cards. They do hit the second one and start casting it. "Draw 14, please" I say. They draw 14 and destroy one Forced Fruition. They start casting the second removal spell and the whole thing hits them like a train wreck when I say "draw 7, please". They didn't realise the second removal spell would also draw cards. Promptly proceed to deck themselves.

The correct play would have been to cast the first removal spell as soon as possible, hope for more answers, if nothing then do a small spell and dig for more after the first one is destroyed. What makes it worse is that they know how the deck works, they've seen it do its thing and I've explained a couple of times how to play against/around it. Oopsie! We ended the night there. There was a pinch of salt, unfortunately.
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/